Shannon Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

Shannon Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$67.99 $132.00 48% off List Price
2014 Circle O Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, Lake County, California

[grape]

A bottle of this was dropped off by a crazed looking monkey, so we opened it up at last weekend’s gathering.

Folks will likely chime in with their own impressions, but this seemed to be enjoyed by most.

Shortly after popping the cork there was a touch of heat when swirling the juice, although that abated pretty quickly. Cherry and cassis were the dominant aromas, giving it a fresh and bright impression. Otherwise it wasn’t giving up much else.
Palate was limestone, slightly bitter, medium tannin. I thought it needed a fair bit of air.

After 1.5 hours of the bottle being open my notes say it opened up a whole lot. Apparently after that I got distracted because my note ends mid-sentence.

Overall I liked this wine, and for the $17 price tag it’s a solid value. I’d probably give it at least 6-12 months before opening a bottle, and I suspect it will improve for at least 4-5 more years.

I agree with Klez that this is a solid buy at this price point. Solid fruit and a bit on the forward side but not over extracted at all, I agree on the cherry and cassis and very grippy finish however I didn’t get the limestone or the bitter finish.

This was the most enjoyable of the three bottle we had to try. If I was buying this would be an easy buy

I’m with klez. I tasted this after it had been opened for a while and found it surprisingly ready for business for such a young cab. Some time will certainly help, but at the price, this is a solid CS and if you’re a’ lookin’ for this type of wine, this is a good buy.

It would be interesting to hear a comparison between this and the 2013 Shannon Ridge Reserve Cabernet that is also up for sale here (for an extra half buck a bottle).

I also tried this at the klez extravaganza but I didn’t like it as much as everyone else. Seemed simple and grapey too me. ABV be damned I much preferred the syrah rat bottle. Ymmv

I’m curios why they didn’t offer a mixed pack instead of two separate offers.

Had this at Klez’

Disclaimer: not a cab sauv fan

Unlike most, I was not a fan. I found it One-dimensional and lacking acidity. It did Not Have me coming back for more unlike another possible offering on here we tasted that night. Brooding, if this makes sense.

Stark comparison to this winery’s earlier offer on woot: 2014 Buckshack which I really enjoyed and reviewed on here. The latter had more personality, complexity, and brightness.

I don’t wanna be too picky but if I recall my grade school french correctly “Cassis” means “Cherry” so how do you get “Cherry and Cassis” unless you mean “Lots of Cherry”?

All GD community tasting notes for this wine have been x-posted into cellar tracker, user names have been omitted to protect the guilty.