Shannon Ridge Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

Shannon Ridge Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$69.99 $148.00 53% off List Price
2013 Shannon Ridge Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Lake County

[grape]
Sunday night, after open house at school and a terrific performance of Tennesee Williams’ Sweet Bird of Youth, it was nice to sit back with a bottle of 2013 Shannon Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. I managed to jot down a few notes:
Nose immediately on opening: dark fruits, black cherries, black currants, maybe some leather. A bit of heat.
Initial taste was full of gripping tannins, flavors of cassis, more black cherries.
Decided to decant it while the steak was on the grill. After 30 or 40 minutes, it had softened considerably, but without losing any of the lively fruit flavors. Still plenty of cherries and cassis. I loved it with a grilled ribeye. The winery website says SRP $32. At this price, a screaming deal.

[grape]
We tasted the 2013 Shannon Reserve Home Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon Lake County, California the other night with dinner. Because it is such a young wine, we decided to do the initial taste upon opening the bottle and then, decanted it for about 40 minutes.

The nose upon opening was showing a wine that was full-bodied with aromas of dark fruit. It was bold and lush and reminded me of a freshly opened jar of jam—very pleasant to the nose. Strangely, after decanting, I found it extremely difficult to get anything on the nose,

Upon initial taste, before decanting, the mouth feel was quite tannic. It was tight, but flavorful. It seems to need a bit more time in the bottle to help the flavors meld together.

Decanting helped the wine to smoothe out and lessen some of the tannins. I would recommend decanting for at least one hour. I look forward to tasting this wine in another few years,

We paired this cab with a grilled rib-eye steak, baked potatoes, sautéed Swiss Chard and yellow beans. It was a beautiful pairing.

I have a general wine question. When I took chemistry, the word decant meant that you gently try to pour off the liquid without disturbing the sediment leavings. It was the pouring that was the decanting part.

In the wine world, this word seems seems to be used synonymously with open the bottle and do nothing for a while before pouring. Which is very similar, but it’s using the word decant for the do-nothing part, when it’s really meant to be the gently pouring part. If you’re decanting for 40 minutes…? That’s a super-slow pour, man.

Unless I’m wrong, but that never happens. :wink:

You are correct: decanting is pouring the wine carefully from the bottle into another vessel (usually called a decanter), doing it in a manner such that any sediment is left in the original bottle.

Strictly correctly, then, one should say the wine was decanted and left in the decanter “to breathe” for forty minutes.

However, the construction “decanted for forty minutes” has been in general use in the trade as long as I can remember (~60+ years).

I have had a couple of 13’s recently that on initial open have not been that great…

But after 30 minutes…They have turned to absolute dynamite…

More so than normal…

For those of us in the “35 states” that can’t grab this…I would recommend the 2013 Hess Select Cab…Just got a 94 from one of the rags…Picked a case up for $17 a bottle in NH…Give that the “above” 30 minutes…

Absolutely great shtuff for that price…

In the wine world, decanting means to pour the wine into another container. Allowing it to sit is optional, but common. Decanting has two potential purposes:
[list]
[]As in chemistry, decanting separates the wine from the dregs (if any). The wine is slowly poured with a light source (traditionally a candle) under the neck in order to see when the dregs start to flow. This, of course, is the origin of the term.
[
]Decanting also allows the wine to contact the air, allowing it to ‘breathe’. This is also why the wine is allowed to sit for a spell.
[/list]
IOW, the breathing process is separate from the decanting, but frequently accompanies it.

You make a good point that decanting and breathing are conceptually separate and different.

For example, very old wines are almost always decanted to avoid putting the sediment in one’s glass, but because they are delicate, they may be served (almost) immediately after decanting.

For young wines, the purpose of decanting the wine is far less the avoidance of sediment than the aeration of the wine (breathing to allow it to seem to be more open.

I remember the same chemistry lessons, which date back to the early 60’s, and you are quite correct, but in this case, the wine was poured into a decanter through an aerating funnel, and left to sit in the decanter for 30-40 minutes.

I’m with you. It is the act. Technically.

And in “Quality Posts”, not to nitpick, but can we change Grape Debator to Debater? :wink:

I’m opposed.

Just to be clear, we can’t talk about bourbon being available on winewoot. But we can post pointless posts about quality posts and grape debater vs debater

No, dude. You’re soooo wrong. Like way off. We’re posting pointless posts about grape debater vs grape debator.

Exactly. Sheeesh

Negative ghost rider! And by that I mean I am deeply offended. Glove slaps at noon?

All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

Correct.

My intent is never to offend. I think glove slaps are a bit extreme sir.