Sharp Mini Component System w/ iPod Dock

Here is the product page with some reviews, overview, user submitted Q&A’s etc.
Product Manual

Holy flying monkeys! This thing has a tape deck! You mean, I don’t have to get rid of my hundreds of cassette tapes if I buy this??

Some good reviews (3.7 out of 5.0) over at amazon

Lots of reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

I like the power specs in RMS which is what they use…
Nice system and price is do able…

A few of the reviews on Amazon say the CD changer stopped working. But since this is a refurb, do you think that problem might have been rectified?

Now if they added a turntable it would be an auto buy !
Still, a tape deck… worth another look.

i knew i’d seen this system before!!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1200/sayanything1040cs022412.jpg

Nice! :wink:

It’s a great little system with powerful, configurable sound for its size. I bought mine new about 6 months ago. My only complaint is that the labels on the little button controls in the front of the unit are almost impossible to see, so I had to add my own labels to enable me to read them at a glance. Otherwise, I’m really happy with it. (And where else can you find a system that lets you load 5 cd’s at a time, not to mention playing any cassettes you still have laying around.) I recommend this item.

Radio Raheem

on Amazon for same product the dimensions are listed as

20.1 inches x 23.6 inches x 27.2 inches

on woot it’s listed as

10.25"(W) x 13.56"(H) x 13.59"(D)

Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Can I use this as a speaker system for my 42" LCD HDTV?

Is America finally coming to it’s senses? Bigger is always better when it comes to sound. A 3" woofer is an oxymoron. I’d wager this sounds better than any typical i-dock, especially at this price.

What is the video out for?

Can I put batteries in it so I can carry it on my shoulder?

Got the low down and yeah, it’s not real clear. We got our specs directly from the manual.

For some reason they separated the speaker dimensions from the main unit dimensions

Main unit: 10.25"(W) x 13.56"(H) x 13.59"(D)
Speakers: 8.69"(W) x 13.06"(H) x 8.75"(D)

Chasing amp power specs can lead to undesirable sound quality results.

This device might sound wonderful (I don’t know).

But the cited power specs (@ those distortion levels and without any low end in the frequency range) are not impressive:

RMS:
Total 240 W (120 W per channel into 6 ohms at 1 kHz, 10% Total harmonic distortion)
FTC:
85 W minimum RMS per channel into 6 ohms from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, 10% Total harmonic distortion

More meaningful power specs would show the power level for 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 1% distortion. But included speakers probably strain to reach below 100 Hz anyway.

Keep in mind if you want to use this system’s dock with your newer iDevice (iPhone 5/Touch 5th gen) you’ll need a 30-pin to Lightning adapter.

Aftermarket examples are available but I believe Apple sells two - one that’s simply a short 1 inch adapter (and might allow you to keep your iDevice perched at the top of this system) and another that has a short cable in-line.

Handy to have at least one adapter anyway if you have a pile of 30-pin accessories.