Sharp Plasmacluster Air Purifiers

I have a question for anyone that understands all the details and specifics of these air purifiers. I have to admit I’m clueless and I’m tired of reading all these different specs. I’m just looking for an air purifier to use in my room because I smoke and it drives my teenage daughter crazy. I know it’s a bad and smelly habit. We don’t have allergies or bacteria issues. I just want to cut the smoke odor in the room so it doesn’t travel through the the house. This unit doesn’t need filter replacement so it would be ideal for me financially. Can anyone assist me with a recommendation ? Thanks so much !!

Your correlating 2 separate things here that shouldn’t be unless you know more about the design then you’ve mentioned. Any bacteria being killed would likely be within the device. The amount of ozone emitted would be different then the concentration within the device itself.

So the question would be if the air is forced through an area with a concentration over 80 ppb, for whatever time period is necessary. That would answer the questions about bacteria killing. Then you could look further at the amount emitted which is unrelated.

Forget it!

The dilithium crystals required, for maintaining operation and preventing a core meltdown are just too expensive.

GO SEAHAWKS ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Here is a Sharp Video which discusses how plasma cluster technology works.

[youtube=BkmB5vd5fiA][/youtube]

[MOD: Embedded video]

Thanks, @narquespamley and others who commented on the ionizing/ozone vs HEPA filters.

I’d like to get an air purifier one of these days for allergy reasons, but knowing that (a) a HEPA filter is recommended and (b) my parents have an ionizing one, and I get a headache when I sit too close to it, whatever that means–I’m gonna pass on this deal.

I can 100% guarantee you that the only thing that will eliminate smoke smell is ozone.

If a device does not emit ozone its not a purifier.

Ion emission only cleans the air. They are not effective.

You need hepa, carbon and ozone to do the best job.

To my understanding these units are considered really old models in Japan. For example, the IGA10U is equivalent to the IGA100 (Japanese version model number) which was released back in Oct 2008 based on the Sharp Japan website. It’s too bad Sharp does not release the newer models in the U.S. I had a IG-C100 imported from Japan last year and that model was released in Feb 2011.

Just a note for asthma suffers. While the ozone levels this emits may technically be considered “safe” - some people with asthma are extremely sensitive to ozone levels and even “safe” levels can cause a problem. I learned this the hard way after purchasing a different air ionizer\purifier last year. I traded mine in for a HEPA system with a good CADR rating, and it’s helped significantly. I actually had more problems with the other purifier than I started with.

Since I had a different system than this one I can’t say how this one might affect sensitive people, but I figured it might be worth mentioning.

How long do you leave it on everyday? I looked in the manual and did not see a clear answer…?