Sharper Image Digital Cooking Thermometer with Indicator

I’d probably only buy this if it was in SkyMall.

I’ve never done this, but I’ve made recipes where it calls for the meat thermometer. Usually is says something like: cook at 350 for 30 minutes or until internal temperature is a certain degree. So you cook as directed, but give it a quick check before removing from the oven. I can’t imagine that you’re supposed to leave the thing in the oven while the food cooks. Maybe you’re thinking of the pop-up thing that comes in the turkey and pops when it’s done? I haven’t tried that either, but I’ve seen both at grandmom’s house on the holidays.

what was the regular price on this?

Mebbe I can use it to check the hard drive in this laptop. I think it’s done too.

You and my wife both use the same method.

When the local carpet store burned last week, my mouth wouldn’t stop watering.

…again with the innuendos.

You can leave those standard round-top-with-a-stem thermometers in the whole time, although I’ve never done it, I’ve seen it many times. I have a convection oven that comes with a probe that cooks to whatever predetermined temperature, and that one stays in the whole time also. Microwaves and microwave/convections have the same option also.

I can understand people not wanting to do it and have no issues with that at all, but with all the info and LEDs and alarms this thing’s got it just seems pointless to me if you don’t leave it in. Why not just use an instant temp probe then? A lot of those have timers and recommended temps … But then again, what the hell do I know!

Yeah, you’re right, good point. By the way - I just have to ask - are my my next-door-neighbor, Mike, the chef? Because that would be really ironic.

so does this thermometer take an instant temp? i mean can you just stick the probe in and you know the temp or do you have to leave it in?

Again, this is not a digital Drawing Pad. I swear I’m not going to miss the next one of those >:(

i need one of these for my tracy jordan meat machine.

chapter 11 is a do-over

does anyone know about the reliability of this product?

I’d be in for one if I knew for sure that Gustov wouldn’t cause it to get lost in the mail. It took almost 2 months to the mail back to somewhat regular after that biotch 3 yrs ago. With the way things are woot will have a woot-off on tuesday when we have no power and no internet… :frowning:

Depends. Do you live in Montreal? Hold on, I’m not a chef so it can’t be me anyway.

I got my mom one of the digital thermometers that you can leave the probe in the meat while the display sits outside of the oven. I bought her a wireless one, but we found it didn’t work well through the metal oven. After trading it in for a wired one it became an instant hit. Pork loin came out perfect every time; it was juicer than what we’d had at restaurants and the thing was incredible easy to use. Much better than the “Cook X many minutes per Y pounds” since it really depends on the thickness of your cut of meat.

So, anyone know the length of the cable and if it’s the kind of probe you can leave in there? I might even be able to put up with a crappy watch battery.

I don’t get this. I didn’t know that their were different temperature for meats. I have been cooking everything to 165 F as at that point the microbes are taken care of. Why would I want to cook any differently?

The USDA recommendations for food heating:
Food °F

Ground Meat & Meat Mixtures
Beef, Pork, Veal, Lamb 160
Turkey, Chicken 165
Fresh Beef, Veal, Lamb
Medium Rare 145
Medium 160
Well Done 170

Poultry
Chicken & Turkey, whole 165
Poultry breasts, roast 165
Poultry thighs, wings 165
Duck & Goose 165
Stuffing (cooked alone or in bird) 165

Fresh Pork
Medium 160
Well Done 170

Ham
Fresh (raw) 160
Pre-cooked (to reheat) 140

Eggs & Egg Dishes
Eggs Cook until yolk
& white are firm
Egg dishes 160
Leftovers & Casseroles 165

So 165 seems to be the magic number, but some people like their food rare, medium, well done, or some combination of the above.

As was pointed out earlier, while Sharper Image is out of business for the time being, Maverick Industries is still going strong, and they are allegedly the manufacturers of this thermometer. However, a quick glance over their website doesn’t reveal any product that looks all that similar to this.

Edit: It turns out they are not the manufacturer. Maverick is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

One more note. Most of these probes seem to be fragile over 410F. If you like to use Alton Brown’s method of searing a roast with high heat to crust it before cooking it at regular temperatures, then don’t put the probe in until after you lower the temperature.

Also, most of these seem to have a thin wire that connects the probe to the thermometer. The probe stays in the food, while the thermometer sits on the outside of the oven. The wires seem to run anywhere from 4 to 6 feet in length, but that might be a useful stat to publish, Woot.

First, the Sharper Image Grilling Fork Thermometer… Now the SI DCTwI. Next, the SI Anal Probe thermometer (list, $89.99, Sellout.woot price, $29.99 + $5 shipping).

Can I use my sharper image gift card on this?