Should I spring for Photoshop

I currently Have photoshop elements and untill i stumbled upon this site i was perfectly happy with it.

then as I began to formulate designs and add effects that i saw to be popular i found i could not do them with elements. There are no Paths, no Masks and several other features that seem common in photoshop in graphic design.

Are any of the major designers out there elements users?

if so could you guys perhaps give me pointers to optimize what i have rather than having to spend hundreds more on the full Photoshop.

i also don’t have illustrator

Masks are easy enough to make using layers and selections. You could also pirate it, or use a free alternative.

anyone know a good place to pirate it?

Instead of Elements, I use GIMP which is open-source, cross-platform, and free. Things are in slightly different places than in Photoshop, but they are still there. There is definitely a learning curve, but it’s a great program.

I also have another open-source, free program called Inkscape, which is an Illustrator alternative. Also cool, but I’m having a harder time with the learning curve on that one.

I’ve heard that there is a 30 day free trial for Illustrator, so that might be worth checking out, as well.

Good luck!

hey thanks man i keep finding gimp to be a popular alternative. never heard of inkscape so imma look for that one too.

I haven’t used it myself, but

I know it’s just a figure of speech, but I still find it hilarious that you called mia3mom a man. She is not a seahorse.

As far as I know.

Photoshop is totally worth it. I love me my photoshop. If you are a student, you should be able to get it at a discount.

As someone who pirated it once (and has purchased because I liked it…long story), I’d recommend going the GIMP route. Photoshop is a wonderful program and everything, but if you’re just going to use it for this it may be too powerful for what you need. Imagine buying a gaming laptop to play minesweeper. That’s kind of what you’d be doing. Granted, it would leave you open to expand, but I’ve heard wonderful things about GIMP and if I can save you from going the illegal route, I might as well. :slight_smile:

Also, klswoot uses Photoshop Elements last I heard. She and I spoke about it during the Invention derby, which was a while ago so she may have upgraded although I doubt it. She sounded pretty happy with it and the other programs she was using. You may want to ask around to see what everyone’s using first, but I think GIMP and Inkscape would be good places to start. There are tutorials on the internet for them just like there are for the Adobe programs.

Also, if you’d like to talk to other derby-goers, you could post in the Derby thread. Or for a bit more informal (and often off-topic) discussion there’s the Derby Cyberpub.

yarr, harr, fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright with me…

Well, actually, no. I had a pirated version years ago because I was too poor to afford it. I purchased the CS3 master collection last year. I have yet to learn another program besides Photoshop… XP

Heh, I use GIMP all the time, haven’t even touched Photoshop. Yes, it does require a learning curve. Heck, Ubuntu Linux, the operating system that i run, requires a steep learning curve in some places. Don’t get me wrong though, GIMP is a great program.

I used Photoshop Elements (which is free with a lot of h/w and cheap otherwise) for most of my entries until recently. I bought Illustrator and Photoshop and use Illustrator mainly now but still prefer PSE for many tasks over PS since it is faster and easier unless you’re already familiar with some of PS’s unusual ways of doing things.

So I heartily recommend PSE over more expensive or free options.

PSE is closed source and expensive. Gimp is open source and free. And gimp has all the same functions of the greatest photoshop. Now, why do you recommend it over programs such as inkscape or gimp? I’m a person who supports open source applications and operating systems, sorry if I end up sounding aggressive.

hunh.

I’ve had PSE and used Photoshop. I really prefer GIMP to PSE - there are a lot more options, and I found it easier to use. could just be how I think tho

I may be mistaken in this, but Photoshop CS3 has integration with Flash. I don’t think GIMP has that. =P

i’m getting better all the time with pse. and inkscape is good enough for an illustrator replacement (learning curve is less for me cus i had never used illustrator before)

Thanks for all your ideas. i think i’m just gonna stick with pse and try out gimp and inkscape.