Shredz 11-Sheet Cross Cut Paper Shredder

What brand is a “Shredz”? Not seeing much about this other than links to the woot sale. Thanks!

I facepalm’d so hard, I ended up in another state.

I kind of like that Craig called Danielle his Ex, even though she was like… “WE ARE NOT DATING!!!”

From the last two posts: I don’t think I’ve ever heard Craig so… something. I don’t know. It just reminds me of “Phil” dialogue.

Well, it looks like Shredz is some reseller of Chinese goods based in Texas.

According to a past Woot, the Texas company merely stamps on their brand and sells them in the US. The actual manufacturer is Chinese. The shredder’s model number is FHC511M, and all searches eventually lead to the Ningbo Wong Hing Handicrafts Co., Ltd., whose Sales Rep is Mrs. Dragon Chou.

The wholesale price for each unit is “negotiable,” but you must order at least 1260 pieces. However, they limit each order to 50,000 pieces.

So there you go. Thus the Woot 90 day limited warranty.

Yeah I couldn’t find out anything about “Shredz” either. Sounds pretty “Sketchy” if you ask me. Come on, Woot!.

I bought one from a previous woot and so far I like it. It runs much quieter than my previous name brand shredder. I like rhe 11 sheet capacity although I have not tried shredding that many sheets at once. Its great for shredding old receipts and junk mail. For thosewho may be concerned about cross cut shredding showing sensitive information just don’t feed the paper in where it it will shred showing lines of text or numbers.

last time this went up, naysayers were naysaying. several useful bits of info and associated links here, but i would be curious to hear from those who bought it last go 'round:

http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5261132

INCOMING PRO TIP
coincidental item post though, i actually just used a suggestion from that thread today and sprayed PAM on a piece of paper before running it through my noisy, sluggish shredder. it seems to have loosened her right on up and it runs fine now.

This is badge-engineering. See an old listing with reviews here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16846645001

The Rosewill version I bought in early 2011 (for $40) is still operational, but has been problematic. In particular:

1. The power safety interlock tab on the bin broke and needed fixing with recycled credit card and glue.
  2. The plastic lid is also the (heavy) motor housing. The plastic mounting was cracked on day one, Again an epoxy glue job.
  3. 11 page capacity is extremely optimistic. It may do it but with a big slow down and overheating. Sustainable capacity is closer to six pages of regular copy paper.
  4. You must lubricate regularly. A sandwich of three sheets with the middle one sprayed in WD40 or similar is not a bad way to do it.

I bought this last time. It does what it says and shreds 11 sheets at a time, if you so desire. It’s quieter than another one that I have but a little bit higher pitched. It’s also pretty light so it’s easy to move around. The catch basket is great and the window makes it easy to see how much more paper you can fit in there. I have a different shredder that makes you guess. Not cool.

I bought one last time Woot offered it.

It’s a lot quieter than the wood chipper I was using previously,and while I have not tested the 11 sheet max, it has performed flawlessly. For grins an giggles I shredded a CD, and it never let up, though the noise level did go up slightly. It didn’t even object that it was a Ricky Martin Album.

It’s stylish, love the window in the front showing the fill level and I have no regrets. Well, had I waited on purchasing I’d have saved 10 bucks, But I made up for that in savings form not having to buy confetti for the New Year’s Eve party.

I think you are talking about strip shredders? This one is advertised as a cross-cut shredder.

I also bought one the last go round and I LOVE it!

I have tested the 11 sheet max and it seems to handle it well.

I typically do about 7 or so, which runs full speed. The 11 sheet does experience a bit of a slow down, but NOT to the point where you feel like you need to offer encouragement like I did with a previous shredder I owned. (come on baby - you can make it… please don’t die on me now!!) :wink:

I have also used the separate slot for credit cards/cd’s etc, and that also works well. Agree with a previous poster on the noise level of the CD shredder - think mini grinder.

I do like that I can tilt the shredder portion a smidge to one side (still have it on the basket) and have the sensor be off so that my small children (who like to plug things in) can’t turn it on.

EDIT: had to edit a bitbecause Tiny Tim showed up in my post - LOL;

Same question.
I have a better-known brand shredder, but the thing overheats and shuts down if run for more than a minute or two maximum (it has no cooling fan). It then takes hours to fully cool down.
I keep eyeing the continuous duty rated ones but they cost a fortune, so I just put up with what I’ve got and do a small stack at a time if I have a bunch of pages to shred.
If this thing were any better in that respect, and reasonably durable, it would be well worth the relatively low price.

Bought this a couple weeks ago when it as a daily special. Love the built in handle to lift the top off the bucket. Very, very, very quiet. In addition to the paper feed, also has a slot for CD/DVD and Credit Cards. Large bucket to catch cuttings. Wish this unit was a micro shreader, but this works fine enough. Have not tried 11 sheets, but did put 4sheets of “28lb” construction type paper ( normal typing paper is around 20lb) and it handled it like a hot knife through butter.
Hope it stands up. Did buy some shreadding machine oil to keep the teeth lubed…and will be careful NOT to put paper with sitcky backed labels through, which gums up the teeth.

What a great suggestion! Just saved me $45! Thanks…

Thanks for the helpful review!

I had that problem with my previous name brand shredder after a couple of minutes. With this one I have not tried running continuously for very long. There are two lights, one for “ready” and one for “overheat” if that helps. I think that’s helpful so to let you know when the shredder might be getting too hot and to take a break. I have not had the overhead button come on. For the money this shredder is worth it.

For any shredders/binders/etc. that cut a lot of paper:

Run some wax paper, or in a pinch a regular sheet of paper with beeswax rubbed on it to keep them running smoothly

This thing is easily defeated with nothing more than scotch tape and time.

I got seriously spoiled when I was in the military. The only shredders we had were either hammermills or NSA/CSS 02-01 Level 6.

The really scary thing, is that we caught Chinese nationals stealing the bags of shred at the local landfills. The shreds were .8mm x 5mm, and they were putting them back together using microscopes. So we put the shred through the hammermill.

Opened box, pulled out the shredder unit and immediately heard 1 or more parts rolling around inside. Haven’t tried to use it so I don’t know if it works or not. Very disappointed.