Shun Classic 4-Piece Block Set

Earn your quality post right here. Review these knives if you bought this previously.

Picked this set up a few weeks before Christmas. If my set was stolen . . . I’d, without hesitation, buy this set again.

Haha. Be forewarned, left handed cooks out there, the ‘D-shaped handle’ that these list as a feature is actually super annoying if you aren’t right handed like most. Instead of your hand form fitting to that D shape, a lefty will have a super uncomfortable time using these knives. It’s not exactly as bad as trying to use right handed scissors when you’re a lefty, or vice versa, but it’s in the ballpark.

Wow! 3 knives for $300. You just have to be kidding.

If $100 per knife seems high to you, consider the retail is over $200 per knife! This ain’t your run of the mill target knife set with 50 knives for $25, no doubt. These are chef’s tools. $75 is a lot for a hammer, unless you use it everyday. I bought this set a few months ago, and have since added 5 more Shun Classics to the block. They are unbelievably sharp, will stay that way, and will be handed down to my son. If you are serious about cooking, don’t even hesitate.

Can I review vicariously? Yes? My brother is a lefty, he says that the symmetrical weight distribution and their true cut/slicing makes the “D” handle a minor issue.

Holy Schnikes!
You could duck tape one of these to the end of an air rifle and totally hurts some peeps!

Too soon Woot.

On a side note I would like to mention that the knife block would be more useful if it had room for a half dozen steak knives in the base.

I recently bought a similar set from Woot. It contained a nakari instead of the block and bread knife. So far I’ve been very happy with these knives. They slice through meat, potatoes, etc with very little effort. It’s awesomely disconcerting how sharp these knives are. I just have remind myself a few times that a sharp knife is a safe knife and then I can get back to cooking.

These knives are a great buy if you’re in the market for really nice knives.

I wanted to add that Woot seems to frequently sell various sets of these knives. These sets are almost always bundled around a chef’s knife or a santoku. That kind of limits you to a single knive set purchase, unless you want duplicates, so feel free to wait if you’re looking for a slightly different combination.

This is a 3 piece block set, is it not?

The block is considered a piece. That is standard for knife sets.

My disappointment with this set is the missing honing steel that usually comes with a block. But it’s still a very nice set.

I did buy this set at Christmas - and later also purchased the Ken Onion set available here a few weeks later. I do like these knives a lot, but I prefer the Ken Onion knives. The downside is Ken Onion are more expensive. If you are looking for quality knives, you can’t go wrong with any Shun. The classic line is the least expensive, but it is still very, very good. They are sharp, well balanced, and handle well. And it doesn’t hurt that they are beautiful to look at, too. This is not a bad set, especially since it has a block. If you don’t already have a block, this set is definitely worth it. If you do have a block, because as someone else mentioned all the sets on Woot have one of two knives included, you might want to wait and get a different set. I find that I don’t use the other knives in this set as much as I do some of the ones in other sets. Of course, having two of the same knife isn’t the end of the world. :slight_smile:

They are absolutely gorgeous knives, that hold their edge for a long time. I own a couple Shun knives, and they are pretty much the same as any other similarly priced knives, with the exception of looking cooler.

I would not hesitate to buy another one, and if you are looking to start a set of knives with a chef’s knife and a block, this would be a good way to start.

I think you’re a bit optimistic to think they will stay sharp in perpetuity. If you keep using them they won’t be good to pass down to your son. I’d give 'em 15-20 good years of sporadic use.

Pro chefs, for example, might use a shun for their home cooking, but for long term use, a Shun is too expensive. Instead, they’ll get a 50 dollar knife set and sharpen it themselves.

Shun knives are great, and this is a good price for a set of them, but am I the only one who finds it odd that the chef’s knife in this set is longer than the slicer? If you have a sharp knife (which these most certainly are) you really don’t need “extra leverage” with your chef/chopping knife, but the extra length would be nice on a slicer if you are working with a big piece of meat, like slicing prime rib or cutting steaks from a primal. Longer slicer means you are more likely to cut with one continuous stroke without having to saw back and forth.

It would be a better set with a 8" chef and a 10-12" slicer in my opinion (but then again maybe that is why it is on a clearance site).

I’m not sold on the “really expensive serrated knife” thing either. They are often nearly impossible to resharpen and therefore disposable. It also doesn’t matter nearly as much how sharp a serrated knife is, because most of the “cutting” is really tearing done by the teeth. A decent serrated knife is invaluable for cutting tomatoes and bread, but really has few other uses if you keep your straight knives sharp. Hard for me to justify paying $100+ for that.

tldr: Great brand, good price, odd combination of knives, be sure you are getting what you want.

Same response to both of these: Shun offers lifetime resharpening service for free. You pay for shipping both ways from your home to their facility, so it’s not completely free, but the sharpening part is free.

A 10" cooks knife is my kitchen go to knife. But I prefer to cut at different parts of the blade depending on what I am cutting/slicing. I don’t cook meats much so most of what I cut are veggies.

If you are having a tough time sharpening your serrated knives, take them to a professional knife sharpener. I have my knife sets professionally sharpened at least once a year. If I was cutting more meats it would probably be more like every 6-9 months. Professional sharpeners will restore your edge which will hold nicely on a GOOD knife. Between sharpenings you only need a ceramic, steel or leather strop.

If you pay for good knives, take care of them properly!! They WILL last a lifetime at home.

Sharpening removes metal. It can’t last forever.

They know their knives aren’t super durable (because of how thin they are sharpened).

From the product description
"Do not use to cut through bone

Only cut on wood or plastic cutting boards; never cut on stone, metal or glass"

That’s good advice for any kitchen knife. None of them will really cut through bone. Bone will kill the edge on any knife. Professional butchers use a band saw for that kind of thing. Smaller bones you might be able to chop through with a cleaver, but again, you’re going to kill your edge.

Also with the cutting boards, that’s good advice for any knife. Glass, stone, and metal look pretty, but they’ll destroy the edge on any knife in short order. The blade of the knife can’t actually cut in to those surfaces, so what’s going to happen after you’ve cut through your meat or veggies and the blade is running along that hard surface? The edge is going to bend and dull.

This looks like a nice compliment to the Shun Classic 3pc Set DMS382 that I bought from woot! the other week.

I just wish I could justify another $300 after having just dropped two bills on the first set. Stupid budget! :frowning:

Oh, for those picky about the way they like to hold their knives, the “classic” line Shuns are weighted and balanced for a pinch-grip where the blade flares into the bolster/handle with your thumb and the side of your index finger resting in the curve of the bolster. If you’re OCD about gripping only the handle, the Shun Classics are likely to feel awkward and imprecise in your hand.