Shun Kaji Fusion 8-Piece Knife Block Set

Ahh…

Just got a 50% raise.

Pay off debt, or treat self with a much desired set of Shuns…

Decisions…

50% raise? Dang, where do you work, woot? I mean Amazon?

Graduated school. Moving up the chain at the hospital. =)

Yes, that’s the difference. Both sets have the same Ken Onion design. SG-2 steel is harder and holds its edge longer.

I am in for one, however, I am wondering if I should also be purchasing a chain mail gauntlet along with this set.

Sure! Firstly, as you believe, instead of the VG-10 core the Kaji feature SG-2, a special powered steel processed through the hot isostatic press method . . . unlike the Classic Ken Onions, they have a Rockwell hardness rating of 64 instead of 61. Also, the blades are clad additionally with a nickel alloy, giving a protective mirror-like finish. Other differences include the obvious full-tang construction that spans the width of the handles, and the embossed end-caps. This is all not to mention the price-tag, which would probably be the more noticeable aspect to a blind man.

I hope these nice knife sets pop up from time to time, I’d love to shell out the money and upgrade my old cheap $300 Black Diamond set I’ve had kicking around for the last 15 years. Can’t afford it right now but in a few months I will. I wouldn’t take these to use in the kitchen at work though…I’d use these just at home or catering.

Nice set!

However I’m partial to my shun alton angles!
from this woot actually…

Also, can’t afford new ones right now anyway…
These are quite nice though! Kai Shuns are typically worth their price, so don’t gripe about the 600-some dollar price. You truly get what you pay for a lot of the times in the world of knives!

Shun the nonbelievers! shunnn!

I’m still trying to figure out where this “11th slot” is. I only see 10?

I think you are either overlooking the slot just below the honing steal between the two right knives or the shears slot just about the Japanese symbol on the front of the block

There are 6 large and 3 small knife slots, 1 sharpening steel slot, and 1 small square slot (upper right) for a poultry shears, etc. on the front of the block, just above the logo.

Care of your Shun knives:

Manufacturer’s Recommendations

It’s funny how they say they are dishwasher safe, only to add that they don’t recommend you wash them in a dishwasher.

We have Shun Pro knives we bought at Woot, and we tried putting one of them in the dishwasher. The spots that appeared on the blade led us to avoid doing so again.

The Onion handles, as well as the regular Pakkawood ones, were designed to be “dishwasher safe.” It is the blades that are worrisome: knives bounce around a bit in the washer promoting dullness. Also the dishwashing detergents are often caustic and leave the marks you mention. Residual water that might not get dried in the washer initiate rusting.

I have been a professional chef in the past and own entire sets of Global + WÜSTHOF knives. I tried them out recently and found the ergonomic design of the handles of this particular Shun line of knives simply fabulous. I just ordered the set! Highly recommended that you try out the weight/feel of any “set” of knives prior to taking the plunge though.

Sold my Shuns today.

Bought new ones to replace them.

Only lost 50% - and I’m thrilled :slight_smile:

Note that the 8" Chef’s knife alone has an MSRP of $438

[MOD: Fixed link. Don’t use " ]

It appears that you accidentally linked back to this forum (I’ve done it myself). It’s hard to find this single knife on the web. This ebay seller gets $240 (+ unknown shipping costs). He also confirms your $438 MSRP at the Shun site.

A couple of things to consider before you buy these well made knives.

First, if you don’t cook much now and think that buying these will make you want to cook all the time, you probably are going to waste your money and end up having these sit on your kitchen counter, mostly unused, and have more or less wasted your money. A set of Ginsu knives would suit you well if this is the case. Many people who have money spend tons of money on kitchen remodeling, expensive cookware and cutlery, etc., and rarely use them. The money might have been better spent on other things. So, before you spend this much on a set of really good knives, ask yourself if you really need knives of this quality. Or, would you be served just as well, considering the type and amount of cooking you will be doing, by a lower priced quality set of knives like Henckel or Chicago Cutlery?

Second, while these are very well made, if you are not using cooking utensils for long periods of time, you may not appreciate the full benefits of the ergonomic design of these knives.

Third, while I’m sure these are made better then the Henckel or Chicago Cutlery knives. Both of these brands (Henckel and Chicago Cutlery) were tested by the people at America’s Test Kitchen in their magazine, Cook’s Illustrated, and both performed very well in the usual kitchen chores. They recommended the Chicago Cutlery over the Henckel as the best buy. So if you aren’t going to be cooking all the time but want some good quality knives, get yourself a set of Chicago cutlery knives. I have some of their knives and like the feel and quality of them. I have mostly ones with the wooden handles but have a few of the one piece stainless steel knives, too. I haven’t had those long enough to rate them for holding an edge compared to the ones with the wooden handles (which aren’t made of stainless steel), but I can say that the ones with the wooden handles hold an edge very well.

If you really want the extra quality in the knives offered here today and have the money, go for it. I hope you get enough use out of them to justify the purchase in your own mind, and you won’t have any regrets over the quality. These are made from many layers (33?) of special steel and have features that the sub-$200 knives don’t have. You may find that these are features that you can’t live without.

If you’re just starting out as a household cook, you may want to save your money and get a basic chef’s knife and a paring knife, and maybe a chopper.

So that no one misunderstands what I’m saying here, I’m not belittling the quality of these knives. And, considering what is involved in the manufacturing process, the price will be higher than your typical quality American made cutlery. I am saying that many people will be well served by something a bit less expensive. I would love to try a set of these sometime, and maybe someone living near me (south central Ohio) will let me try them out in their kitchen sometime, but I do very well with my Chicago Cutlery knives.

Donald

Here’s a review I posted in May, with an update. I hope it’s helpful:

Well, my wife does most of the cooking; I used to cook a little years ago, but I stopped when we got married. Sometimes, she asks me to do a little prep work, and I try not to grouse about what a clumsy amateur I am with the knives.

But all that has changed recently, with the purchase of 3 Shun knives (not Ken Onion) from Woot. I’m already a lot more adept, and therefore I’m happy to spend more time in the kitchen.

So, even if I’m not going to be the next contestant on Top Chef, Shun knives are a big positive for this amateur.

edit: I thought I’d add that we were using mid-range Henckels before, so it’s not as if we were cutting with garden tools.

another edit: A friend of mine who went to culinary school once showed me how he could chop an onion into fine pieces in seconds with a high-end knife. I’ve tried a few times since we got the Shun knives, and yesterday - success!

I am now no longer a clumsy amateur. I am upgrading myself to a middling wannabe!

If you type “how to chop an onion” into YouTube search, you can see several methods. The one I used is something like this one.