Shun Ken Onion 4 Piece Steak Knife Set

VG-10 is definitely one of the best grades of steel imo. A pain in the neck to sharpen but it’s just as hard to get dull (assuming you take good care of your knives). Pity I already have a nice set of knives.

about Ken Onion

Inside the chest of almost every liberal beats the heart of a Soviet-style commissar. Why can’t people in a “free” society leave others alone to spend their hard-earned money as they wish?

if you thought $50 a knife was bad enough, don’t click

Shun’s online catalog

edits: 1. the good stuff wasn’t the original link… it starts on page 5
2. this also has some other shun products besides knifes- cutting boards, sharpeners, etc…

This is bad… no thanks woot, better luck next time.

50 bucks per knife? No thanks. I’ll rip my food apart with my bare hands.

The answer is at Sellout

In for 3!

Sent from my iPad Supreme Gold Edition

4 Piece Steak Knife Set at Ken Onion site

Kershaw

For those of you whiners who say $50 a knife is a lot i guess its safe to assume you know nothing about cutler or knifes in general.

Knifes are one of those things in life where you pretty much get exactly what you pay for. Kershaw has been in the business a long time and they make many many products including pocket knifes, bowie knifes, boot/neck knifes, Daggers, Rapiers, Shamsirs, Machetes, cutlery, samurai swords, and a lot of other variations. They are not overcharging for this.

Sure you can go buy a cheap set of steak knifes at walmart for $20 and they will cut your steak for you many times but these knives will last 50x longer and do it with ease every time.

The simple fact is there are many variations of steel used to make knives. I can list them if you’d like…

VG-1 steel, 4116 Krupp Stainless, AUS 8A Stainless, SAN MAI III, 1055 Carbon, SK-5 High Carbon… and those are just some of Kershaws more popular metals.

Simply put you get what you pay for and not all steel is created equal. Higher quality metals hold their edge better and last longer. This is a heck of a deal for a quality product if your rich. I can’t afford this crap but someone can.

Also remember these are $100 a knife anywhere else!

To the guy who needs 5 knifes, i suggest you buy 2 sets and list the other 3 in a buy it now or individually on a auction site to someone else who may be looking to another odd quantity. These are very good price to performance knifes and should sell within just a couple weeks on fleabay.

I’ve been so foolish.

All these years I’ve been buying expensive steaks and cutting them with a regular dinner knife.

Just think how much I could have saved by buying cheap cuts of meat, slicing them effortlessly with a fifty-dollar knife.

Woot, will you never cease to save me money?

Hope these are sharp, because if I bought them I would only be able to afford gnarly chewy steak.

This is the turning point. Woot! has officially lost its wootiness and had its soul sucked out by Amazon.

How many self-indulgent wooters are sitting around thinking “Gee, I bet this filet mignon would taste so much better with a $50.00 knife?”

If you can’t cut your rib eye with a fork find a better butcher and learn how to grill.

So according to the map, two sold in Pa, and one in California.

Hey read my previous post if you want the facts, but truth is i wouldn’t buy them unless i was making at least $75,000 a year. These are for rich people, not your every day wooter.

Please inform us, we need more more information. At what price for these items are we obligated to experience guilt for having earned enough to afford them at a level of quality we like?

• bathroom scale
  • motorcycle helmet
  • pasture raised meat
  • airline ticket
  • #2 pencils

Oh, and what should be the maximum allowable acreage one can own before having to provide free tent space for those with wanderlust?

While I’m waiting for this list, I’ll take my other fine knives down to the homeless shelter saying “See what you can have with a modicum of motivation?” sigh, inspiring people is thankless work sometimes.

=8]

For what it’s worth:
General Chowhound forum question about Shun Ken Onion knives in 2007:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/406360

One brief review of the steak knives for $400, calling it “Art with utility”

Lengthier blurb, no reviews, again $400 for the steak knives (I believe the same ones) with free electric sharpener:

Majority of reviews I seen so far aren’t for the steak knives, but I see little negative said. People are raving about any knives by Shun Ken Onion. These look to be 1/2 price on average, but I’m so culinary-challenged, it doesn’t belong in my hands. It’s like giving me $1000 golf clubs and watching me hit the ball 100 yards forward and 50 yards to the right.

Excellent response. If it’s not for you, so be it. No need to belittle others for spending more than you would on something. Everyone has at least something they wouldn’t mind spending more of their “liquid assets” on over something else. Some people think computers are a waste of money…

$50+ a steak knife??!!

sweet-baby-jesus, they better come with instruction on how to use them for self-vasectomy and how to eviscerate a polar bear…i will outfit guests with $40-per wine glasses, but they can gnaw thru my strip steaks with my cheap Lagnouille (sp?)steaks that i have now thankyouvery much…i’ll spend my bank over at winewoot instead…

damn web.