Shun Ken Onion 7 Piece Bamboo Block Set

That one has a 8" chefs. A much better set imho.

Do we really need a golden hammer to drive a nail?

I know; some people would say a golden hammer feels more balanced on their hands…

I can’t see buying knives that have curved handles unless you have arthritis, that said I don’t cut sushi too often. maybe I should?
“if you knew sushi like I knew sushi”…

After watching that video I have to ask, how do you use such a fine kitchen instrument and not have a stable chopping board? A damp paper towel spread out under that board will keep it in place and save your fingers from being chopped off.

There are a lot of really good reviews for Shun Ken Onion knives all over there on Buzzillions.
http://www.buzzillions.com/x/s?N=4294811422&D=x&cat=&extra=all-product&Ntt=ken+onion+knives

If I didn’t already have all of these I would so be into grabbing this; the only thing I lack is the storage block–wish I could just get that here on Woot. These knives are a joy to use for anyone who appreciates super tools. When cutting, just the weight of the knife as you push the blade TOWARD a tomato slices it from top to bottom. They make cooking much safer as, if the knife slips in your hand, the lack of force (usually required in cutting with lesser knives) means you don’t have it zip away and cut off your finger. I love them! Just the little one is $150 (currently on sale for $99) at Williams-Sonoma.

Shun Ken Onion? Gladly.

Whenever I see Ken Onion, I will turn my back on both him and his overpriced knives.

Yes yes and yes! I have cutco and most recently shun. I gave away my wusthof and henckels (junk) after my first set of starter shun knives. The quality is apparent once in your hand. Worth every penny.

For the same reason you have harbor freight tools and snap-on tools. Go to a mechanic shop and you wont find any harbor freight dog excrement tools. If you spend enough time in the kitchen cooking, you’ll want to use quality knives, pots, stove, etc. If all you’re doing in the kitchen is warming up frozen pizza in the oven, don’t waste thread space here complaining about the price. You don’t get quality for cheap.

The degree of angle for these blades is 16 degrees, as opposed to 22 for most other fine cutlery – so don’t hone the blade as you would the others… the honing steel has a beveled edge at the grip end which meets the correct blade angle to the steel when the knife blade is laid against it…

Also, Shun will sharpen your blades for free, forever…

Alton Brown uses Shun almost exclusively. 'Nuff said.

Here’s a description of Shun Ken Onion knives from collaborator Kershaw:

Gorgeous Style Meets Perfect Function

It began with a single knife, the Shun Ken Onion Chef’s Knife. But our customers demanded more. So we’ve expanded the series to include all the most-wanted styles from the can’t-live-without-it paring knife to our versatile bread knife.

The Ken Onion series features the clad VG-10 blade made famous in our Shun line. But then the handsome, non-stick blade is combined with Ken Onion’s signature ergonomic handle design and the unique blade sweep found only in a Ken Onion knife. The result is a series of knives that are not only beautiful to look at, but a pleasure to use.

If you would like to see a shun training video detailing EVERY reason why you want a Shun knife…it even goes on to say that the knives you cut with affect your food flavor because steel interacts with the food molecules…WOW

Eat your heart out…

Very well, actually. However, there’s a big caveat (from the manufacturer’s FAQ): “Is there anything Shun knives shouldn’t be used on? Please do not use Shun knives — other than the Ken Onion meat cleaver — on bones or joints. These knives are designed for precision slicing rather than chopping through bones.”

That’s because these high-end Japanese knives are so hard that they tend to chip if they so much as see a bone nearby. So, I’d either invest in a heavy cleaver or a circular saw if you’re looking to dismember a corpse, be it bovine or…whatever.

Bull ____! wusthof and henckels work every bit as good for a chef as any other knife. quit trying to “sell” an unsellable feature.

Shun knives are the best mass produced cutlery in my opinion. I cook for a living and am passionate about it. I use these knives on a daily basis and can testify that they are far superior to any of the German brands. If these knives become dull to the point where you cannot sharpen them (seriously hard to do) then you can ship them back to shun to have them replaced/ sharpened to factory specs. This is seriously a great deal and if I didn’t already own these pieces I would purchase these. The only comprable brand is Hattori, and those things are super expensive and sexy.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=486250&CCAID=FROOGLE486250

cooking.com link^

($739)

Yeah, but that guy only produces “good” eats. That’s just a step away from being “mediocre” eats.

My wife has Wustof and Ken Onion. The Onion’s are a far superior knife when it comes down to the blade balance and ergonomics.

And why would I want to sell my kitchen knives? They arent like cars and break down, and if you broke the knife somehow, why would someone want to buy it from you?

Well put! I think Woot should include this in bold at the top of the description for any of the Shun knives that they sell. At some point I will be purchasing these knives (not tonight, unfortunately) and enjoy reading about other Wooters’ experiences with said knives. Maybe putting your analogy as a disclaimer for each sale will weed out some of the “$xyz??? For $xyz these knives better (wash/cook) my (kitchen/dinner)!!” comments.

Here is a great write-up on how he actually came to design the knives the way he did. I own some Shun knives. I don’t have the Ken Onion designed knives, but I’ve been very happy with mine.