Shun Ken Onion Elite 7-in Santoku Knife

but those squiggly lines and the dimpled indentations helps sticky stuff get unstuck. Why make a superior knife only to make a inferior cladding?

I completely agree! For those new to these type of knives you need to be careful, not only with the types of cutting and surfaces you are using, but also with WHAT you are cutting. It goes without saying you shouldn’t be prying open cans, but you should also NOT use this for cutting bones. This knife won’t be as fragile as a ceramic knife, which you shouldn’t even use to smash garlic, but it is definitely not flexible.

Think about it like glass as opposed to plastic or rubber. Sure, you can drop your plastic sippy cup on the floor and it’s no big deal, but drop a crystal glass (or let it slip out of your hands in the sink) and you’ll have microscopic shards everywhere!

As a professional chef, I completely disagree with that statement. I have almost 2 grand invested in my knife kit (the bag with all of my equipment and knives that I take to work) and its worth every penny I spent to put it together. A good knife lasts a lifetime, and for a home cook, you only need one. If you take care of a good knife, it will take care of you.

Those indentations are called scallops. They can indeed help sticky stuff get unstuck, but the difference is usually subtle.

It’s a matter of taste as to whether you prefer them on your knife. Some people do, some don’t. Plus they can get in the way of sharpening.

I’m pretty indifferent - if it’s a knife I want and the price is right, I wouldn’t worry about whether it has scallops.

More reading: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/580945

knifes should not cost this much. You can go buy GREAT set of knifes for this one price. Then buy a knife sharper rod for 20ish. As long has your not stupid and throw the knife and break the tip. Your set for life.

you can get twice the amount done if you don’t hold a knife handle. gripping the actual blade and letting your palm rest on the handle gives u SOO much more control and allows u slice and dice anything matter of seconds

Its a knife, so no shipping to NY right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh… now i made myself sad again…

I had some Victorinox’s shipped from Amazon to a NY state (not city) address a few months ago with no problem.

You mean a honing rod? Those don’t actually sharpen your knife, they simply re-align the edge. If you can buy a knife set for $100, I don’t want it; chances are it’s stamped, flimsey, doesn’t hold an edge, and will end up rusting or falling apart.

This page is an interesting read, and tells about the differences in the Shun lines, how the blades are made, and the reasoning behind Ken Onion’s design.

I picked up this knife and several others like it (same SG2 steel, ergonomics, and edge geometry, except in a different costume) some time ago, and I haven’t looked back since.

http://www.woot.com/offers/shun-kaji-fusion-8-piece-knife-block-set

As much as everyone is going to claim this is too pricey (and let’s be honest, $120 isn’t exactly a small investment for a single kitchen knife) I can tell you from firsthand experience that you’re going to get every penny’s worth out of this…

…PROVIDED:

1. You remember that this is not the economy car that got you through college, this is your mid-life crisis Corvette, and while it’s built to perform (and perform it WILL) you’ve got to take meticulous care of it. Don’t throw it in the sink with the rest of the silverware, don’t set it edge-down in the dish rack, don’t wait until later (after dinner) to wash and stow it, and don’t wash it with abrasives.

2. In order to maintain the edge and the knife as a whole, the best thing you can do is get proper training in kitchen knife technique. Not only will you cut more efficiently, get cut less often, and take care of the knife, you look a lot cooler when you know what you’re doing. (Guys, you should be taking notes. I landed the woman of my dreams by knowing how to cook.)

3. You use plastic or wood cutting boards. Anyone who buys into the idea of granite counter tops as a multi-use cutting surface is, quite frankly, an imbecile. Don’t make your high-end steel edge compete with rocks, smelted silica, or other steels. It’s just dumb.

4. Don’t use lots of pressure to cut. If you know what you’re doing (see #2) and your knife is sharp, the knife should do the work for you. I know this after having had to glue a friend’s finger back together after an incident with a dull knife and a raw sweet potato. Which actually leads me to…

5. A sharp knife is actually safer than a dull one. So technically this is one of the safest kitchen knives in the world!

Sorry for a verbose post, but I can’t picture my kitchen without these things. To all that buy: ENJOY!

I was really frustrated that I missed the last Shun which was about $100. Now I am not sure I want to buy this one. I have three Shun knives they are all great. But they are an investment… and I am not sure about size and handle.

I know what will happen I will think too hard, delay, then they will sell out… hmm tough choice.

Are these better than cutco? those have lifetime sharpening service too, and are passed down for many generations.

Thou knowest not what thee sayeth! I bought the same knife a few weeks ago. It is the best knife that I have ever owned! And I have 2 knives that cost more than this one did. Great deal for an exceptional knife!

Someone here mentioned that it is not a chef’s knife. Is it true? Also, i am going to gift this to my dad who is in his late 60’s. Should I worry about the sharpness of this knife?

Edit: By Chef knife I meant that can I use this as my go to knife in the kitchen?

It is a kitchen knife, “chef’s knife” is a specific type of kitchen knife.

As far as the sharpness goes, a dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp knife. The more dull the knife, the harder you have to push, the more likely it is to slip, and the more damage it will do when it hits your finger. If he’s capable of safely handling a kitchen knife, then the sharper the better. Worry not!

I’ve seen people cut themselves with a sharp knife because they’ve developed some really bad knife habits over the years.

The most important rule is to never have a part of the body in the plane of the knife. If one is holding the knife in the right hand, make sure the entire left hand, including thumb and fingertips, is to the left as one looks down over the spine of the blade.

I’ve watched a relative hold a tomato in her palm, with her fingers wrapped around it, while cutting it.

Imagine that the knife will go through everything until it hits the board and make sure nothing you want to keep is in the way.

Also one should put the knife down unless one is actively cutting.

Get him this and a knife skills course at a local Sur la Table (or a dozen other places that offer knife skills courses). Provided he’s careful with it, this knife will serve him very well. And yes, you can use a santoku as a primary knife.

Thanks for all the comments guys. One last question, as from the image it seems like a little wider than other “chef” knifes. Is it a plus or a minus in terms of its cutting ability and weight. Also, should I jump on this or wait for a better shun knife as someone also mentioned this particular knife is for slicing and not for chopping.

It is shorter than a standard chef’s knife. It is a little wider toward the point but not really at the back.

I never “chop” in the way that I think is being discussed here. When dicing an onion I am still keeping part of the knife on the board, and when “chopping” herbs I used a rocking motion. I never whack the knife on the board.

This is a smaller, lighter knife. Some people prefer that to a chef’s knife. If you watch cooking shows on TV you’ll see people use one or the other for the same tasks. I don’t really see them use one for some tasks and the other for different tasks.

Anne Burrell uses a manly 10" chef’s. Rachel Ray uses a santoku. Ming Tsai uses a ceramic santoku. On America’s Test Kitchen some people use the Victorinox chef’s their fans adore but a couple use MAC santokus.

An eight-inch chef’s knife is the most common on cooking shows and slasher movies, but it’s just a matter of personal preference.

(They always show people grabbing the chef’s knife from a block on TV to stab someone, but a boning or fillet knife would be a better choice, and a slashing motion would be more effective than stabbing with kitchen knives.)