Shuttle XPC Intel 8GB DDR3 500GB Desktop

These are very old, will arrive very ā€œusedā€ and the front USB ports wonā€™t work.

I purchased one of these about 2 years ago and the HD is incredibly slow !
One I installed an SSD and maxed out the memory, it was nice for doing basic stuff pretty quickly, and you could use it as a gaming rig !
The front ports did not work, no matter what I tried !
There just does not seem to beany driver updates that make them come to life !
If I had it to do over, Iā€™d wait for one of he mini Linovoā€™s to come through here again !

I was thinking of grabbing one to act as a Plex server. The price point for the processors in these systems are the lowest Iā€™ve seen. The box would just sit hard-wired into the router and act as a Plex server for clients (mostly Rokuā€™s) through the house. Front ports wouldnā€™t matter. When people say these are ā€˜slowā€™ - do you mean you donā€™t get results on par with the Passmark scores for these processors?

Passmark measures processor speed, which really isnā€™t an issue here. The problem with these computers is that the hard drive is crap. It would work just fine for a plex server, but Iā€™d add an SSD for the OS anyway, and a big, fast hard drive for my movies/music.

This is exactly what Iā€™m going to be doing with the one I just bought. I already have a 256GB SSD and a fast 2TB HD, just been pondering what to build with them for a home PLEX server.

I love the form factor. Itā€™s compact but still lets me throw in a GPU, second drive, etc.

Is there any form factor thatā€™s roughly equivalent that can handle more modern equipment? I see Shuttle XPC barebones systems on the Amazon mothership that are a lot more expensive once you add in a CPU, drive, and Windows (if Windows is your thing). Iā€™d rather not get stuck with a 5-year-old motherboard and CPU, but Iā€™ll deal if itā€™s the most cost-effective option with this form factor.

Based on dimensions, this could only be either a custom board or a mini-ITX board. Since Shuttle doesnā€™t appear to manufacture their own boards, Iā€™d say you could probably fit any mini-ITX board in the box, but youā€™d want to pick the box up first so you can make sure you wonā€™t have any layout issues (onboard headers obstructed by case bits and so on). You absolutely wonā€™t beat this price for a legit copy of Windows 10 Pro + hardware, and for a basic desktop, these will still do fine as-is, though youā€™ll most likely want to add an SSD.

Iā€™d pass on these for servers though, especially if Windows isnā€™t needed. First, it seems you can really only fit two drives in the box without shenanigans. That might not be a big deal with big drives pretty cheap these days, but the age of the processors means they suck a lot more power than you need to spend. The cheapest option, the i3 2100, idles around 78 watts. If you keep this thing on 24/7, youā€™ll be spending at least $100/year on electricity. With newer processors in that performance range idling under 15 watts, your savings disappear after a just a couple years if you ignore the Windows cost.

If youā€™re thinking about upgrading the motherboard/cpu at some point, you may or may not have to re-purchase Windows: Technically, the OEM licenses you get with these refurbs canā€™t be transferred to new hardware, so itā€™s Microsoft support roulette.

If any of my tech-challenged family members needed a new desktop right now, Iā€™d jump on one of these. If you need a general use Windows desktop thatā€™s not going to be powered on 24/7, theyā€™re a solid deal. For any other purpose, Iā€™d look for newer hardware.

1 Like

This is a good machine. I bought one of these from Woot about a year ago. Mine came with the i7-3770, 16gb ram and 2 2gig hds. I upgraded it with a boot SSD and a gtx 750ti video card. I have had absolutely no issues with this box. I have had no problems with the front USB 3 connectors as mentioned by the other poster. The only item I would suggest is to update the BIOS to the latest from Shuttle. If you want to put a bigger video card than 750ti you will have to upgrade the PSU. I am running it with Windows 10 64bit.

I ordered the one with the i7-3770 in it, and just finished setting it up. On the advice of a poster I threw a (very old) SSD in it, and installed the OS on that, but after benchmarking, that might not have been needed. The front ports work fine.

Hereā€™s the benchmark results, all I added was the ssd and a Radeon 560.

1 Like

I got one from woot a couple years ago with an 2nd gen I5-2400 (passmark 5895). It looked like it was never used, I couldnā€™t see a speck of dust on the inside of it. I basically looked like surplus that was never sold. Everything works great on it. I love this form factor. I put an SSD in it, it came with 8GB RAM which is just fine, itā€™s great hardware and it flies with an SSD.

So I received my i7-3770 model and I can say that the front USB 3.0 ports work just fine. Not a spec of dust anywhere either but it was missing a screw internally. It came with a Hitachi 500GB HD, which was quickly replaced with an SSD and a 2GB drive and is now transcoding away as a PLEX home server.

Some handy links:

Downloads: Shuttle Global - SH67H3

Howto: Shuttle SH67 Series | CinlorTech's Blog

Win 7 ISOs if you need them:
corenoc.de