Shuttle XPC Intel Core i3 2TB HD Desktop

Has anyone considered making these into a NAS? It seems for the price, if there’s at least 4 SATA ports on the MoBo, with a little work I’m sure the more savvy among us could get reliable RAID running (if it isn’t already supported), and that would make this (already looks like a NAS, might as well be one) an excellent cost-effective NAS considering the the hardware it already comes with. Am I missing something?

Of course, no matter how many times we ask that Woot! supply internal photos of their computer offerings, they rarely ever deliver, so odds are this could be so jam-packed with stuff internally, there’s no room for multiple HDDs.

The biggest thing you’ll be missing internally is power. Build your NAS with external power (but you probably already knew that). I have an older Shuttle XPC and that’s what I always struggled against.

Meaning not enough power connectors, or just not enough juice from the PS? A backup power source is always a good idea on a NAS, but it doesn’t really matter if the internal PS can’t support it in the first place.

I found an internal picture in an Amazon review for the bare bones chassis. There is dedicates space for two 3.5" drives in addition to the 5.25 slot. So remove the CD drive and three hard drives should fit pretty comfortably.

I am thinking about the same thing. If it’s the same one as in http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117 , then:
Storage
Serial ATA
2 x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s
SATA RAID
RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD

I think it’s good for 2x HDD 4TB and above RAID in 2x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 1x SSD or 2x SSDs in RAID for SSD cache to speed up. There should be room for SSDs.

But the CPU uses 65W and PSU is 300W, very high power consumption or potential power consumption for a NAS. No info on idle power consumption.

Power consumption is the only thing stopping me from placing an order.

That’s not “average usage”, that’s the thermal profile. As in all cores chewing on a complex processing problem.

It’ll still draw more when idle than an atom or ARM you’ll find in a commercial NAS, but if you actually want to transcope a 1080p media stream it’ll be able to do that.

In for one. I need a unit to (a) produce content for my websites, (b) edit and mix audio for radio show production and edit photos for the site, archive radio finished shows, etc.

Looks plenty fast for me, and the USB 3.0 allows me to transfer content to/from pretty fast as well.

Don’t need Office, Photoshop, etc.

Abiword, Antenna, Adobe Audition, Irfanview, Photofiltre and I’m pretty much set.