Shuttle XPC Intel i5, 2 x 320GB Desktop

I am in for one.
I thought about buying the squaretrade warranty for it just so incase the mobo blows caps in the time it moves from myself to my son in the computer hand down regiment established in my house it would be covered. If I bought the warranty I could not add ram or a different video card to it per SquareTrade CSA. Just a FYI.

Any recommendations on using this as media server and for light desktop computing, Internet? Also, what model HDDs are in this?

SHUTTLE 240-Pin 500W 80 PLUS Bronze ATX 12V Power Supply Upgrade Kit for SG41 Series PC63J

$88 and good reviews, though after nickle and diming a little upgrade here and there, you could just buy something better for equal or cheaper, it seems. Unless this particular FF is necessary to someone.

any idea on power heat and noise?

Will this memory upgrade fit in the case with the heat spreaders?

http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-240-Pin-Desktop-F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL/dp/B006T0CHLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453566850&sr=8-2&keywords=F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL

With refurbished models, it can be a mix in the batch of computers.

I got this…

That way I could easily upgrade to 32G by buying a second kit, but I’ll never need to. Note the population rules for running memory in dual channel mode…

Edit: I’m dual booting with Windows 10 on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. Both OSs work great but video drivers on Linux was a PITA to set up.

I just ordered two of these. They will be VMware ESXi hosts, I’ll just bump up the RAM. With the included 2x 320GB HDDs, I will mirror them for better I/O. In my book this is an amazing deal… $200 (plus RAM upgrade) for additional ESXi hosts… cant beat it. Thoughts?

Looks like a DVI-I plug, all you need is cheap (if not free) VGA adapter.

Does the mobo provide all the necessary hardware support?

Yes - Here’s a guy who has done it with this box. ESXi 5 and up works.
http://www.ryanbirk.com/the-perfect-vmware-vsphere-5-homelab/

Or take the hardware you added out before sending it in.

Not sure how a mirror array is going to get you any better IO on the drives. If you stripe it, you’d likely see better performance, but with 7200 sata, probably not a whole lot that’s worth giving up redundancy.

I bought the i7/16gb model when they were on sale previously. This goes up to 32gb memory which would definitely help with VM resources.

I put the 2tb 7200rpm drive as secondary storage and got a 512gb SSD for OS. The included drive was a bottom of the barrel Hitachi model and it’s pretty loud.

FYI, the bare CPU alone goes for about $200 on Amazon. This is an amazing deal in my book.

Will this support dual monitors, 1 connected DVI and the other connected HDMI?

This was a fantastic deal and back to the kind of deals the original woot used to have. Great htpc and with minor upgrade a solid gaming rig. For $199 it was an absolute steal.

I have an earlier model Shuttle system that looks very similar to this but has a dual core Celeron processor. We use it as a media center to watch Netflix, and Hulu on our TV. On that one I added a better video card as the built in with the Celeron wasn’t quite up to the task but this one should be fine with the base video.

Thanks!

Mine arrived yesterday. The mobo was v2.0 and it came with a Lightscribe DVD burner rather than a DVD-ROM.

Mine arrived with BOM 1.0. It’s not the end of the world but I’m not happy that it will limit CPU upgrades in the future.