Sights and Scopes

If you are holding a mossberg and have taken the time to confirm the target as hostile, you are wasting precious time confirming that your laser sight is on center. Its a freakin shotgun… not a pistol. Take the shot and pump.

lol that’s my shotgun, but no pistol grips. I’d be afraid of breaking my wrist.

contrary to what hollywood would have you believe, you DO still have to aim shotguns.

they DON’T have super large spreads that enable blind morons to hit their targets. and why would they - that’s a terrible idea, as collateral damage would be ridiculous.

even at 100 yards, buckshot spread will typically only be about a foot… often less.

I use slugs in mine. so I don’t get a spread at all.

In for a few different ones. The reflex will look good on the M4 pellet gun that I bought here in January!

Can somebody explain the 1-6x24mm scope to me? The objective lens is 24mm (not a typo since I can see it printed in the scope picture). The tube is 30mm, and the eyepiece is 36.5mm. However, looking at the picture, it appears that the objective is larger in diameter than the tube and eyepiece. Is it just a tiny lens hiding in a big shroud?

If your “aiming” from the hip, you are missing. Bring the weapon to your eye level, point and shoot. For a shotgun in a home defense situation, a bead sight is fine, at 20 yards or less, it really is point and shoot. If your shooting clays, most folks will argue that either a front bead or an open sight are best, a scope just slows down your target acquisition. Since the accuracy of a smooth bore shotgun falls off quickly, a scope of any kind is really a waste, and a laser may mean the muzzle is pointed at the target, (if properly boresighted) but even at 50 yards your slug or shot might be many inches off the laser. And really, if your shooting at anything at 100 yards or more, go to a rifle. I have a Mossie 590A1 and all it has is a super bright flashlight and the stock front bead. The flashlight has a big, fat on off button that sits right under my thumb when I am gripping the shotgun, so it works perfect. At the sound of the pump I would expect anyone in the house to be rapidly exiting anyway, but the light will frame them if the need arises.

It is quite frustrating the way Hollywood has turned “shotgun” into “10-foot-diameter-cloud-of-lead-cannon”… I mean, sure, if you’re using a <14"-barrel, cylinder bore, smooth-bore shotgun firing #12 Birdshot then yeah, you’ll get some WICKED spread AND you might even slightly agitate the intended target standing 10 feet in front of you…
But if you do it right, load up some #4 Buck (00 Buck is overrated; good at longer range, bad for defensive use), preferably in 3 1/2" Magnum shells if your scattergun will feed/cycle them, and you have a devastatingly powerful weapon.
Same thing goes for Slugs, especially rifled or Sabot slugs which are more accurate/more stable/higher velocity than your traditional “big hunk of lead” slug. When I first got my Benelli M3 Super 90 (my first one), prior to shortening the barrel to 14", I was outside putting dozens upon dozens of random shot down range in semi-auto (too much fun; almost as much fun as an AA-12). I was digging through my countless boxes of shells to reload when I found a stash of 3.5" .58cal Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Slugs… Took aim and fired at a 6"x6" fence post about 75yds away, and… blew the dang thing in half! It just splintered and collapsed!

I have seen shotguns do some seriously nasty damage to enemy combatants, especially when loaded with a high-spread load at very close range. Trust me when I say that you don’t want to be right on the other side of a door when a Force Recon operator puts a Mossberg up against the lock and fires… That next breaching round is coming at you, and it doesn’t matter if you’re wearing Kevlar footies… You’re turning to soup.

The problem with the “big boy rounds”, though, is that they over-penetrate like crazy. If you don’t believe me, go shoot a few rounds of 00-Buck down a hallway in your house, and see how many sheets of drywall the shot passes through before they stop…

Not something you want to have happening at night with your family at home!

It’s the way these things work, but it is frustrating to wake up at 6 a.m., get for the first time an e-mail about spotting scopes, see a neat little spotting scope, and then see it’s sold out sometime in the pre-dawn. It would be great to see a real spotting scope sale with lots of different products at lots of different prices, and fewer gun scopes. I tend to use scopes to bird rather than to shoot.

The Sightmark 1-6x got poor reviews compared to the Firefield 1-6x, which is at a comparable price. I wouldn’t buy it.

Save your money for an Aimpoint!

Me three. Especially getting the action-4 again and the 800 or longer range scopes back. And getting some of their mounts, like the PFI-QRR, PFI-PQR, maybe even their ballistic dial.

Little fyi…

Woot plus stuff usually switches over (expires, new listings) weekdays 10am eastern (9am central, what woot uses), especially heavy on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Sometimes they do 11am or noon, I forget, but that seems to be getting less and less the case.

If you’re reading some daily email the next day, the sale’s been on for around 20 hours already.

Made this whole post worth reading.

Of course - that’s why they don’t ship perfectly legal knives to anywhere in NY (except 3 zip codes - two of which border NYC) because of the alleged NYC laws (which relate to carrying, not possession)

I’m glad woot embraces a lot of the hunting, sportsman, and even sometimes self-defense culture.

But I would not call it “stepping up to the plate” by any means.

This. And I’m not going to put a pistol grip shotty up to my face to aim it, thanks :slight_smile:

But Biden said nothing about aiming before shooting off the balcony or through the door. If not aiming is good enough for the VEEP…

…breaching rounds are just lead powder. they won’t ‘turn anyone into soup’ unless the barrel’s literally pressed up against them.

…hollywood stupid myth #2 - “bad guys” flee in terror upon hearing the pump action of a shotgun.

home invaders have bad intentions, and are typically armed. and thugs. they aren’t likely to run in terror from a gun that wasn’t even loaded (ie: owner not likely to be cold/ruthless enough to use it).

why would you keep your HD gun unloaded? an unloaded gun is a paperweight, and the suuuuuuuuuuper scareyyyyyyy sound of the action (pump) gives your position (and armament) away. it’s a tactically idiotic move.

gotta love the mall ninjas coming out of the woodwork for this woot.

yeah, why would you want a stock? they look liek sooo totttaly kewler with just a pistol grip! who cares if it’s now much harder to aim or have follow-up shots? looking good is all that matters when you’re being dumb.