SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-Based Digital HDTV Tuner

+1

I have the dual-tuner ATSC/QAM version of this thang. I only use it with ATSC over-the-air television programming.

It has worked extremely well with Media Center, Mediaportal, Myth TV, and most recently XBMC on both Linux and Windows.
If you use Media Center the built-in guide will probably have channel listings in your area. If not, may I suggest Schedules Direct which I have used for years for $20 a year. MP and Myth both have plugins/support for SD. XBMC really doesn’t have built-in TV support yet but you can generate files for each channel that will allow you to activate that channel stream. There are scripts/plugins for some TV backends but I haven’t had much luck with them.

It’s a network device, so you just plug it into Ethernet somewhere on your network near the coax cable for your antenna or unencrypted cable feed. The setup package automatically finds the device, updates the firmware, and installs the driver and supporting software (the Windows package is the most robust and feature-filled currently).

I haven’t used it over a wireless network but I can tell you that an NFL game running in 1080i uses about 19 or 20 megabits a second. Even an 802.11G network, if you have good signal strength and low noise, should be able to handle that.

what if I dont have a cable company? does this buy me anything? I just use antenna to watch OTA crud, which is pretty limited where I live.

Note, I do have broadband and my provider DOES stream t.v…does that matter?

Here’s a Previous Woot for the dual tuner.

Oh, and I should mention that their support and continuing commitment to improving their product is A+ #1 super-duper. They constantly release driver and firmware updates and have a very active support forum.

A few months after the dual-tuner unit was released they discovered that the power adapters were destroying themselves and sometimes taking the tuner with it. They sent us all replacement power units overnight.

how is this different from july 30 woot?

Quick Start Guide

Installation Instructions

More instructions here, including Linux.

That was for the dual tuner (record 2 programs, or watch one while recording another).

Some videos:

Review

Unboxing and Media Center Setup

the last one was white and 80 usd + 5

Comcast digital channels are encrypted, but several HD channels are unencrypted, even on Comcast basic.

1006!

NightGhost
quality posts: 1006

Don’t you mean that at 1001 it would roll over to -999?

Yes. It buys you the ability to stream that over-the-air HDTV signal to the PCs on your local network.

No. You do not need any kind of internet access, just a local network over which this device can stream content to one or more PCs.

Does this have on-board storage? If not, then do I have to have my computer on to record a program? I don’t think that my wireless network has the bandwidth necessary to stream 1080p video. Can anyone describe their experiences with this?

Can you plug any other kind of input into this box and then stream it over your LAN? I’m thinking specifically of my Satellite receiver, which does not allow me to record to a standard format; only to a proprietary format. If this accepted an external component video (plus audio) or HDMI input, then I could record my satellite content for transportability.

Product Description
Now you can watch, pause and record digital and HDTV channels from any computer on your home network. Transform you computer into a home entertainment system with SiliconDust’s HDHomeRun. This tuner solution plugs into your network and lets you receive both over the air digital TV and unencrypted digital cable TV content from your cable company. Multiple computers can use the HDHomeRun. It captures full broadcast resolution, up to 1080i high definition without degrading the quality. You can record hours of your favorite digital TV shows directly on your hard drive and edit out unwanted content. Store your collection on an external drive, portable device or burn it to a disc. The HDHomeRun is compatible with Windows Media Center including Windows7, Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate and many third party solutions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. The included DVR software lets you record your favorite shows onto your hard drive so you can watch them whenever you want.

No it has no on board storage, that’s where your PC comes in.
I have no experience, but maybe the Amazon reviews might answer

Amazon reviews

+1,2,3,4… +5.
But I guess it goes 1001, 1002… he’s on 1006 now.

Linux support is quite nice. I know that MythTV supports the HDhomerun’s right out of the box, no tweaking required.

I myself just ordered a 2 tuner one the other day to replace a crappy internal tuner card. If I only knew I would of waited and ordered one here on Woot. Thanks for nothing Woot.

Any reason why people wouldn’t generally want to spring for the dual tuner version? For me, it’d be a must. Wish Woot would sell the DT version again.

Yeah, but you got the 2 tuner, and Woot is only selling the single tuner version. Seem to me like you still made the right choice. (unless woot suddenly sells the dual tuner one)