Simple

Calling all simpletons. :tongue:

We need another that says, “D’ifferent.”

I don’t see anyone mentioning the actual meaning of this shirt, the SI in SI’MPLE is referencing SI units of measure because they are much simpler than US or imperial units.

Really? Is that battle still being fought? SI has been pounded into oblivion, never to gain a foot on this soil.

Wouldn’t that have the “SI” in the different color, and not the “I’M” ?

the battle between SI and IMPL(E) continues…

So simple that they needed to change MB to MiB. Seriously, who talks about drive capacity in “gibibytes”? And do not refer to your internet speed in mbps unless it’s really slow.

How do you even say any of the digital terms without sounding like you have a speech impediment? Ibe habe abe newbe threebe tebibytebe hardbe dribe. Sighbe.

I read it as I’m Simple…
Even though your explanation is good, I don’t think I would walk around wearing a shirt that said I’M SIMPLE.

Agreed. I much prefer the imperial units of data.
[list]
1 scratch = 12 bits
1 baker’s scratch = 13 bits
1 scroll = 712 scratches
1 tome = 5380 scrolls
[/list]
My download speed is around 30 tomes per cockadoodledoo. Respectable.

Good job! Reading these responses I was beginning to fear for the fate of the human brain!

My thought is that the vast majority of people would read it this way too. I like the design and the simplicity but the message kills it for me.

Yes it would. So it is supposed to say I’M SIMPLE

Is there a pop culture reference here I’m missing?

You got me. It looks to me like there’s some mathematics or computer stuff being discussed or something.

If it IS a pop culture reference, I guess I’m too simple to know what it is.

My late grandmother would certainly think I could use this shirt in lieu of a dunce cap. I can still hear her telling me, in an exasperated tone, when she thought I was dead wrong about something, “Don’t be so simple!” She meant, of course, simple-minded, slightly less pejorative than total fool… she did not use ‘stupid,’ but it was acerbically implied.

It is sad to me that so many people see the word “simple” in such a negative way. Witz42, you have my sympathy. Either your grandmother had no idea how she was affecting you, or perhaps she had such a miserable upbringing herself, that she was a bitter person who had an overwhelming urge to vent, and you were an unfortunate target.

“Simple” is not necessarily a negative word. It can mean easily understood, presenting no difficulty, or being uncomplicated.

There is a beautiful Shaker song that I’ve appreciated for years. I learned it in grade school, and I’ve had the opportunity to sing a beautiful choral arrangement of it in my high school choir. It goes like this:

'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan’t be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

That is what simple means, in the very best, most uncomplicated way. :slight_smile:

Well put.

There is no reference here. The shirt means what it says. And that is the beauty of simplicity