Singer Sewing Machine and Stylist Serger

Limited Q&A:

Scholastic:

http://answers.singerco.com/answers/7010/product/2157/questions.htm

Serger:

http://answers.singerco.com/answers/7010/product/1601/questions.htm

They do different things, really. A sewing machine does all the stitches and stuff that we’re used to seeing sewing machines do. A serger does edges and hems and the like. These guys explain it well: Choose the Best Serger or Overlocking Sewing Machine

Also I’ve done all the research, and your name does not, in fact, have to be Sergio for you to purchase and successfully operate a serger. (But it helps.)

I already have a good sewing machine but I would love to have a serger. Why are they a combined offer?

Thanks I just noticed that woot was selling both for the price. I at first thought it was pick one. This is an awesome deal!

Found the amazon links…

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Scholastic-Machine-Patterns-5523/dp/B00669PBVW

http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-14SH654-Finishing-Sewing-Machine/dp/B00005NWQR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322893268&sr=8-1

Comes to about $500 with shipping. I may jump on this for my mother

Right now I’m using a Singer sewing machine that was built in 1925 (yes, it’s 87 years old) and was retrofitted for electricity in the 1950s. I’m ready for an upgrade.

While most Singers today are made in China, they still have a good reputation. I would also imagine that since they own such a big share of the market, parts and repair people would be relatively easy to find.

Will buying this Woot expedite my application for residency in Santa Poco?

Just an FYI for hems- this does a rolled hem, it does not do a coverhem. The rolled hem is like the thread covered edge of a sheer dress, the coverhem is what you’d find on a t-shirt hem. That takes a much more expensive serger with at least 5 threads or a specialty machine.

Would this be able to sew leather or thick fabrics?

I beg to differ. They’re one of those brands that have rested on their laurels in recent years. Some are good, some are just plain lousy. I outta know, I sell 'em.

Are you kidding me? Singer is about the worst brand out there! I sew a lot and I am quite certain I will never own a Singer. They used to be good and if you can get your hands on a machine built 30 or 40 years ago it will last forever. But today’s machines? No way!

Methinks the writers of Woot have been watching Snatch on Blu-Ray :slight_smile:

Also, for the price this is a great starter set for almost anyone. Pity more people don’t know their way around a sewing machine these days.

Since you sell this brand, ReneeDj3, what do you know and think about these two models. Good, bad, or ugly?! I am interested for my wife. Looking for a qualified recommendation. Someone who sells Singer would know. Thanks!

I have a Singer sewing machine from atleast 1970, it could be older. It works great for me. However when I was looking for a good serger I did not find any good Singers with 5 thread, so I ended up with a Bernina… Worth the added cost and bought it through a local fabric store in the DC metro area who has free classes on how to use it or help keep it running smoothly. These do need minor upkeep/maintenance if you use them often (oil or approved recommended brand-related product).

Sewing machine would only do leather if it supported a leather appropriate needle and the work would need to be done slowly if it worked at all.

Did I miss whether this came with a foot pedal for the sewing machine?

A qualified recommendation pretty much means nothing without knowing about your wife. Has she been thinking about learning to sew, or has she been sewing her whole life and is just tired of her machine?

I would class both of these as starter machines, except that the sewing machine does not have real speed control (they all have speed control with the pedal, some have limiters on the machine itself).

They will not be an upgrade from most modern machines. This might be an upgrade from the Singer serger my grandmother bought at Sam’s Club in the 90s that she gave me after it sat in her garage for 10+ years.

In for the set

Foot pedal is listed at the bottom as “In the box”. You’re good to put your pedal to the metal.

Hey moonrock, my MIL wants just the Serger. Maybe we can work something out? :slight_smile:

I need just the serger. I already have 2 sewing machines… let’s split this woot!!!

I’d be glad to go halvesies with someone on this. I want the Serger… I already have a sewing machine.

Email me: tovishbiz (at) that google mail address everybody knows.