Six Piece Bar Set and Table Mounted Cork Screw

Hey, I haven’t been paying attention to Cat’s latest get together. If you are coming in for one, perhaps I will need to come down.

Oh so THAT’S what it takes to get you to come, huh? I still have your tupperware, by the way :slight_smile: You should come rescue it.

I think last time I was able to participate was when the rest of the family was out of town. I need to find better and better excuses to hang out with the wine woot weirdos.

Well what better excuse is there than “ddeuddeg and bahwm will be there! and tommythecat78! and the tupperware must be rescued!” :slight_smile:

is it made in united states of america?

If brand means anything, the Breville blender is great. Made in China. Will have to get this one.

Have used “rabbits” for years and highly recommend them. This big sucker may get in the way but will be easy and handy.

While I don’t know 'bout the corkscrew, I don’t recommend these kind of jiggers and shakers. If you’re going to do any serious mixing, get a two piece shaker and a little measuring cup marked off in ounces. There is something to be said for a matching set though, and the three-piece style shaker takes no tricks to know how to use. The third piece is just a little tricky.

That said, the ice bucket and wine cooler are lovely looking pieces. Those and the corkscrew are probably worth the price of admission here.

It is, but there’s enough variation out there in jigger capacities to make it worthwhile to specify in situations like these.

You can actually get that style (called Boston Shaker) with the glass half marked with ounces, saving you the measuring cup, which I think is pretty neat. It’s kind of backwards since you have to pour the drink before putting the ice in, but you shake it anyway so I don’t think it really matters. Either way, though, you’ll also need to buy a strainer to get the drink out of there.

I like the Cobbler style shaker they have in this set more, though, just because it looks nicer. Also, the cap on the top can be used as a measuring cup. On my favorite shaker, the cap is one ounce, which is perfect.

the corkscew is a beast. i bet it weighs 5 lbs. industrial strength for sure.

But if you use it as a bat will the ball die at the warning track?

LOL, Georgia is a producer direct state now, i need to be careful with my answer…!

Cross posting…

Hey, folks, got a situation I haven’t seen before…

My order for a previous offer did go through, and when I look at my account, it shows the receipt for the order.

However, my credit card hasn’t been charged yet. Usually, the credit card charge hits the instant I order, but now it’s been several days.

Anybody else see this? Or should I be getting worried?

In my mis-spent younger days, I bartended at various locales up and down the East Coast. While there are ‘general’ standards, many of the bars I worked at (including some of the well-known hotel chains) had measuring ‘jiggers’ of infinite shapes, sizes and varieties. Most of my co-workers delighted in using the smaller volume sizes so that they could ‘overpour’ the liquor into the glass right in front of the generous patron who would assume he/she was getting much more alcohol for their money than they ‘should’ have. An obvious bigger tips-getter. Also kept healthy the nightly bottle inventory. Of course, overpouring was against every location’s rules and policies. But, it’s hard to control things in the often dimly lit interiors, and - if the nightly inventory is reasonable…

Every place had its official size jiggers, but mixologists are nothing but ingenious when it comes to beating the systems. Until they get fired for cheating, of course.

Many bars demanded we use the smaller sizes to increase their profit and punished severely if they caught us ‘overpouring.’ And don’t get me started about house branded vodkas, gins, etc with lower proofs and non-alcoholic sugar syrups to mimic the expensive Kahluas, etc. Ah, those disco days when your patrons assumed they were sweating the alcohol out on the dance floor, not realizing they were paying super premium prices for almost non-alcoholic specialty drinks.

It was a strange business and there were few standards. Hopefully, there are enforced laws, now, but there will always be room for play. That’s why the good bartenders command such a following from their regulars. They’re usually either consistent or overpouring at the expense of the other patrons (or the house, if management isn’t watching). Less obvious than giving away free drinks. But then, I’ve known a few undercover bar inspectors who made good livings smelling out these ruses for suspicious owners. And I’ve know lots of managers who traded off the cost of this ‘hidden’ marketing with the consistent regulars’ business brought in by these methods.

As with many things, there seems to be nothing sacred. But you all knew that.

good stuff.

In the specifications, it says the corkscrew can function as a wine and champagne opener. How well does it work with sparkling wines? Will the cork get stuck since the cork opens after you pull it?

So I um. Have this friend cough who got one of these style cork pulls as a gift (though most likely a much crappier model) and didn’t read the instructions on how to use it and just figured “Pull the handle down to put the screw in, pull the handle up to pull the cork out.”

Yeah. No.

Much carpet cleaner and Shout™ later, s/he read the instructions and found out that said un-corking is done in one motion.

So, as a Public Service Announcement, read the instructions first. I have no idea if this is a similar style mechanism, but getting red wine out of carpet isn’t much fun.

… Ummm…

1. Wine cooler
  2. Ice bucket with stainless handle and stainless sealing lid
  3. Martini shaker with stainless lid
  4. Ice tongs
  5. Double-jigger
  6. Gigantoid table-mountable corkscrew contraption

Get out of here with all your math.

EDIT: Er, I’m kidding of course, welcome to ww.