Skil 7.2-Volt 1/4" Drive Cordless Power Wrench

Agreed - for the bigger fasteners, it’s not going to have enough torque, and for the smaller Torx or phillips fasters (like trim fasteners), you’d really rather have something like an electric screwdriver that doesn’t have a 90° angle between the handle and the bit.

If you were in construction and you used a POS like this, you’d be the laughing stock of the company.

I bought it. Good price. I have just the kind of jobs it can do, to do, and it carries a one years warranty. If it is going to go bad I can do it to it within that year.

Prior to owning this gem, trying to take my Jeep hardtop off took 10 minutes(because it’s not easy to reach the bolts behind the roll-bars) … now it takes less than 30 seconds. Love it!

“battery holds a charge for up to 18 months”…I haven’t charged mine since last spring and worked great two weeks ago.

better than being the laughing shoe I figure

Junk!
FT lbs is the proper torque spec not inch. Shrinking the measurement to pump up the stats. It’s like measuring your penis in centimeters to make yourself feel better.

Ha! :slight_smile:

I have one. When working on my Harley taking the primary off (think a lot of low tq fastners)it was fine,car stuff no.

I agree that these aren’t worth a darn for big jobs but it’s a 1/4" drive and 1/4" drive of any kind aren’t heavy duty. What these are great is for gifts for parents or grandparents with arthritic hands but still like to work with their hands. My father loved his.

ooh! nasty! the word confabulator turned s_t_o_c_k into s_o_c_k. I was just about to ask if a laughing sock was anything like a very happy sock puppet…

“Being bipolar is nasty. When you are up, you don’t want to go around digging through your tools to find the right one (say a “precision screwdriver”) so you go out and buy another set. Which, of course, is a direct waste of money, but it makes digging through your tools even worse the next time.”
=== y.f.h.

looks way underpowered for anything you’d want to use it for. PLus it’s only 1/4" drive. 3/8" is pretty much minimum for anything automotive. oh and did I mention that it’s underpowered? Oh yeah, I guess I did. Looks like it’d run outta juice before you even got started. Really, you want 14V or better

this doesn’t work well as a ratchet or anything that needs a good amount of torque but I love mine. It works good for anything that needs a driver that is low profile. I have only used a socket on it once and all I was doing was taking the interior of my car apart. Works good for anything small where there is tons of screws. Defiantly worth this amount of money in my opinion.

A few small adaptions and this could also be used for dental cleanings and repair!

Hey, congrats on being one of the apparently VERY few who really do get the point of this kind of tool!

It seems pretty obvious to me that those who are ripping this tool over its lack of torque have never actually USED a socket wrench in any kind of real-world situation (by which I mean, on your back, reaching up under and around the engine in your car, where, having broken the !$#%#$% free with your socket wrench, you now spend five minutes skinning your knuckles and straining every muscle in your arm, wrist, shoulder, and back, as you work to ratchet it all the way out ONE CLICK AT A TIME).

That’s why I bought one now – to save what’s left of my knuckles. I won’t mind breaking a bolt free by hand – probably with a bigger wrench – and then holding THIS tool over it and letting the motor unwind it, instead of busting up my muscles, joints, and knuckleskin.

What? It only turns at [howevermany] RPM? So? BFD! It’ll still be faster than MY one-click-at-a-time back/forth ratchetwork, and did I mention my knuckles? And muscles, joints, spine, etc?

I work on aircraft and I’ve used an air driven version of a 1/4" power ratchet and they do have their uses and can come in handy when in tight positions.

You can break free or torque down a screw, bolt or nut by using it like a regular ratchet by you manually ratcheting it back and forth and as the specs said you can get up to around 400"lbs of pressure in that way.

You don’t ever use the battery powered motor for breaking something free or for torqueing something down, they aren’t made for that and you will likely damage it if you try doing it very often.

The battery mode is for after the item is broke free and you are backing off the item or running that bolt, screw, nut down to where its ready to be torqued.

As I said I’ve used a air driven version on aircraft and they can be great where clearances are limited and you don’t have room to swing a regular ratchet back and forth to loosen or tighten. You just push the button.

I’m in for 2, can’t hardly beat the brand either.

A power ratchet weather it is air powered or electric should not be used to break bolts loose or torque them. An impact gun does well to break large bolts loose such as lug nuts. A lot of mechanics use impact guns to install lug nuts, often over torquing them. On any small fasteners you should always break them loose by hand and then use the power tool to remove it. Using power tools to break small fasteners loose will usually just result in broken or stripped bolts. When installing bolts you can use power tools to run the bolt in and then hand tighten it to the proper torque spec. Judging by the reviews people that know how to use this tool properly seem to like it.

Exactly!

+1

I could have used this a while back mounting a low profile safe in a cabinet. For the price it looks like a good deal. Just add a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter you have even more uses for it.

Your wrong.

Inch lbs of torque is needed and used for torquing small items like small fasteners on metal skin, etc.

Try converting 30 inch lbs of torque to foot pounds and see what you get.

Show me a ft lbs torque wrench that goes down to 2.5 ft lbs? You won’t find one.

Inch lbs is used for torqueing small to medium sized screws, bolts, nuts, etc.

Foot lbs is used for torqueing medium to large sized of the same thing.

On aircraft everthing that is attached has a torque and depending on the items size you will use inch lbs or foot lbs when torqueing them.

Tool? Yeah this makes sense… so not all bolts can be torqued w/ ft lb settings. I own both a ft and in lb torque wrench and have found to use both on a regular basis working on my bikes. Good try though. :slight_smile:

PS Yeah what Bowhunter said… :slight_smile: