Sling Media Slingbox AV

How does the slingbox compare to the PCTV to go that is similar to this. I bought one of those but had a lot of problems with in needing to be reset and then the software wouldn’t recognize the network and all sorts of issues?

In February 2009, won’t this thing be out dated? Will there be an adapter available to convert the format?

I bought one of these about a year ago. Mine worked for about a month and then broke, it wouldn’t connect to the network, I called Sling support and in 3 days gots me a new one.
I’d highly recommend! It’s the good stuff.

No, only Windows Mobile, Palm, and Symbian based phones. BREW is horrible.

Can this connect wirelessly to my home network? Because my router doesn’t have any ethernet out ports.

I think that only appllies to over the air broadcasts. Cable and satellite are unaffected.

The signal goes through the internet, not the air

If you look at the sling box logo upside down it looks like it spells “Bulls”

So you should probably buy this if you are a fan of the Chicago Bulls.

TurboGraphx16 is that you.???

Nope, no wireless unless you buy a wireless bridge or powerline networking (ugh).

No, it requires a wired Ethernet connection.

No, the upcoming February 2009 digital conversion will have no effect at all on this box.

Question here: When I watch TV on my laptop/computer, will it be the same channel that is being shown back on the TV. In other words, if someone changes the channel on the TV will it automatically change on the laptop as well?

I’m thinking about setting up one of these at my parents house because I’m trying to cut back on my bills, I jut don’t want to be forced to watch whatever they are watching as well =/

Also, they have DSL (a slower connection), how will that affect the TV viewing on the laptop, if at all?

According to the Sling Media site:

Supported Audio and Video Sources Connects to one standard definition (SD) S-video or composite video source such as:

* Basic Cable TV Set-top Box
* Digital Cable Set-top Box
* Digital Video Recorder (DVR) such as TiVo, Comcast, ReplayTV, DISH or one provided by your cable/satellite provider
* DVD Player/Recorder
* Satellite Receiver such as DIRECTV or DISH
* Video/Security Camera
* Windows Media Center

Yes, but on the flipside, you can change the channel on your laptop to make your parents watch whatever you want.

You have to watch the same channel, but you can both change it. It’s like two people sitting on a couch, each with a remote for the TV, changing the channel back and forth. The quality of the picture is related to the upload speed at the house where the SlingBox is installed.

Yes, it’s 1:1 to whatever’s being shown on the TV (assuming they’re watching TV while you are). There’s no magic to it. The Slingbox just takes in multiple inputs and has an IR blaster. I’m on AT&T DSL with “768kbps upload” but I only get ~500 and it looks ok. LAN streaming is quite a bit better, obviously, and my 500 kbps is much more suited for mobile streaming.

Thanks for all the answers! But also reading some of the previous posts, i see that it has to be connected to the router directly through ethernet? Carp…

I know for a fact that the router is far from any set top box…too bad =(

Good morning sports fans…

If you’re planning on buying a SlingBox to watch any sport involving a fast-moving ball, puck, or other similar object, make sure you have LOTS of upload speed.

I put one of these at a relative’s house in Chicagoland (Comcast) last year so that… uhh… the relative could watch the Bears when the relative was… uhh… visiting.

Not. Very. Good.

Question: How does the slingbox compare to the PCTV to go that is similar to this. I bought one of those but had a lot of problems with in needing to be reset and then the software wouldn’t recognize the network and all sorts of issues?