Sling Media Slingbox SOLO

I have one of these. Paid $150 new. Works great, lets you view and control your cable box from any computer with web access. Quality will depend on both your upload speed at the slingbox and your download at your viewing computer. They even have a web-based player now so you don’t have to install anything on the remote computer to view it.

Although I haven’t tried my hava (from woot) yet, most people think the sling is a more polished product, albeit more expensive for less features.

So, what’s the difference between “Recertified” and “Reconditioned”?

I’d love to get one of these to take it tailgating and be able to watch the other games. Not sure if I should pull the trigger because I am unsure of the WiFi situation in the stadium parking lot.

I have a different model of the slingbox. Have to say i love it. The ability to watch tv anywhere is great especially when at work or school. Don’t expect crystal clear pictures, but it’s decently clear.

Amazon consensus:
Avg 4.1 rating (out of 116 reviews)

http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Media-Slingbox-SOLO-SB260-100/product-reviews/B000VXKD8K/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

More reviews on Buzzillions:
Avg 3.9 rating (out of 39 reviews)

So basically a 4 star product. Interesting to read the negative reviews though. A couple different guys spent hours trying to set it up without success, haha.

that is correct. a slingbox digitizes the video signal it recieves, and streams it over a network. no more, no less. it should also have an IR blaster to control set top boxes from the viewer software.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have never really understood how these work. Does the box transmit the signal from your DirectTV to a cellphone wireless or do you have to plug the device into the slingbox. Sorry I am not the most technically gifted person but I’ve never really been able to understand the attraction to these. I use an Ipod alot for podcasts and videos but it is hard to find TV shows to download without paying major dollars. Would this allow me to do that?

Have this exact model, and works great. However, if your TV is not in the same room as your internet connection, you will need to get a slinglink or other similar product, which will run you an additional $75 or so.

Note: Edited above…slinglink is the ethernet bridge, not the catcher.

What a way to publicize Naked Hiking Day.

They seem to be synonymous, although some mfrs seem to use recertified, reconditioned, and refurbished pretty interchangeably. I think supposedly, recertified is supposed to mean that they don’t do any work on it, but just put it through QC processes again.

Yeah, well I tried the old “hiking on the Appalachian Trail” excuse the last time when there was a Woot-off.

My boss didn’t buy it. Neither did my wife, she eventually found me in the basement with my finger on the F5 key.

Sure must be nice to be the governor of a small state. No worries.

Basically they mean the same thing…any problems have been found and fixed.

That is for the Slingbox AV, which I have and works fine, but will NOT work with the iphone. You need at least the Slingbox Solo for that function. Just wanted to clarify.

Keep in mind, with refurbished items, it isn’t always the manufacturer who refurbishes them.

The Philips GoGear MP3 players were refurbished by a third party, and it showed - I bought three and they all looked like used garbage.

The Sansas are refurbished by the manufacturer. They look new. Usually (not always) manufacturer refoobs use new external pieces to make the unit look like new.

Are these refizzied by the manufacturer? I don’t know. Does anyone else?

You plug the video cables from the device (cable/directv etc…) into the sling box, and then pass thru the signal via another set of cables back to the TV (or use 2 different video outs from the the box, ie composite to sling, hdmi to tv). There are a few other installation steps you must do, then the slingbox is available over the internet, via the free PC sling player app (they charge extra for mobile phone apps, check if your device is supported). It just allows you to view your cable box as you would if you were sitting in the room with it.

I’m a student, and my parents live in Florida.

Could I connect this to their connection in Florida and record programs/watch TV on my laptop in New York? The answer seems to be yes but I’m just checking if anyone else does something similar.

Also, does this get hot or need some sort of cooling device for extended use?

You can watch it as if you were controlling their cable box with a remote in the room, including DVR if they have a DVR cable box. You can’t record with Sling to your PC, but it has a running buffer that lets you rewind live tv. Some HAVA boxes would let you record to PC though.

You should clarify that this only works with the iPhone over its Wi-Fi connection. AT&T blocks 3G streaming for the Sling app - they’ve come under some heat for it, considering they just did a deal for 3G streaming with Major League Baseball.

It seems you can do that. However, unless your receiver has a dual tuner, if you change channels from your laptop, the channel on the original TV will change and vice versa.

So you’re saying my DVR and router need to be in the same room; otherwise more equipment is needed?