Slingbox 500 / SlingTV

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Slingbox 500 / SlingTV
Price: $129.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Feb 17 to Thursday, Feb 18) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Slingbox 500 / SlingTV) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Slingbox 500 / SlingTV) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Slingbox - Google Shopping 500 / SlingTV)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/26/2016 - $129.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (2 comments)
1/2/2016 - $139.99 - Click To See Discussion (12 comments)
12/7/2015 - $149.99 - Click To See Discussion (14 comments)

1/18/2016 - $139.99 (Woot Plus)
1/18/2016 - $139.99 (Woot Plus)
8/3/2015 - $149.99 (Woot Plus)

May I use the chromecast device to cast the slingbox?

Why would i want or need a slingbox?

If you have a slingbox, you can cast to any TV that has a Chromecast attached. This allows you to watch TV ANYWHERE…and change channels,etc. Works great.

Is it pointless to have a Slingbox if I don’t have cable or satellite TV? I do have hi-speed wireless Internet and enjoy watching local HDTV channels along with what I can get with my Amazon Prime Fire TV. I want to maximize the benefits of watching TV without paying monthly fees - any suggestions?

If you have Fios the Fios mobile app or espn app,etc. can pretty much do what this does. You can even screencast to a chromecast on secondary tvs.

RANT ON!

Judging by the reviews at Amazon Sling has become nothing but a box that allows you to pass content that you receive on another box over the internet when you are not at home, or you can pass content around your home, that is what sling does. While peppering your content with tons of ads.

If you want to watch tv from home while you are not at home and you have a box to pump that content into sling then sling is for you. I’m thinking snowbirds that feel the need to watch the weather from back home and call their friends back home to annoy them while all the ads are on.

What it doesn’t do without another box doing the work for it, it doesn’t record, it doesn’t tune, it doesn’t connect to an antenna, it doesn’t hook to cable, and it doesn’t make the experience seamless without peppering your media with advertising.

I looked into sling years ago before high speed internet was a common thing and I decided that Direct TV was the way to go for me, years later I switched to an Antenna and TiVo and I still believe that I made the right choice and sling has only gotten worse.

RANT OFF.

I have the Slingbox 350 and I enjoy having it. I went to visit my daughter in New Zealand, and I was able watch my Directv while there. My son-in law in NZ is able to watch golf. I also use the app on Roku to watch my Directv on my outside TV so I don’t have to pay for another Directv box. I was stuck in The Austin airport for several hours and this was a life saver. I think the best feature is being able to watch your recorded shows when traveling.

ok - so thanks to the comments, I realize now that Slingbox is great for those who pay for cable or satellite and do a lot of traveling or are away from their normal viewing area, couch, etc.

However, for those of us who rarely travel and are only connected to local HDTV antenna - trying to avoid monthly cable/satellite bills, what media device would you suggest to maximize the full potential of viewing capabilities (especially live TV or almost live), that isn’t already part of a DVD wifi streaming media player, Amazon Fire TV, or Google Chromecast? HomeRun maybe?

I wish there was a good website that compares all these media devices and sums up the Best Deal as well as the Best Service for those willing to pay the extra cost upfront. DVR capabilities would be nice, but not a must. Any comments/feedback would be most appreciated!

I have one of these and have experienced zero ads like you are mentioning. Otherwise, I agree with you 100% on the other items you’re listing.

Perhaps the ads you see are because you use the SlingBox interface on your tv? I only have my slingbox hooked up to my cable box so I can watch anything anywhere, but I HATE the sling interface and just use the normal cable remote when using the TV it is hooked to.

Ok so I have a cottage with no cable tv available only satellite. So the only internet available is from the dish. If I had unlimited data on my cellular service would this be a way to avoid purchasing another dish or direct tv plan? I have cable at my home.

If you have good 4g service, you could watch on your tablet or phone. If you have a Roku or other streaming device that supports Slingbox you would use the Slingbox ap and your phone to watch on your tv. Or possible mirror it to your TV.
A lot on info here: Request Rejected

This device is a benefit if you know someone who is open minded with their cable/Satellite.

However, There is a little known Over-the-Air device I recommend due to it’s low cost and high functionality. It is a bit buggy but it’s workable and has much support on several forums. This device is the Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB HDTV Digital Converter Box with the ability to Record OTA in 1080i and also works as a Media Player. A similar devise is the iView 3500STBII (same manufacture). These require connecting your own hard drive for storage but then allow time shifting of any OTA programming in HD, for less than 40.00 plus the drive. They use a little over 5Gb per hour of recording. I have used WD Passport drives with much success. This makes the programming portable when connecting the drive to a PC using VLC media player.

Others recommend the Channel master DVR+ that works very much the same way, much less buggy, and more satisfaction for about 3-bills.

Long Live Free TV!

This does seem like a good idea for OTA, but the Slingobox is a totally different device, unless I am missing something. Sling box is for watching your tv somewhere else, your devices seem like they are for recording OT. Am I missing something?

TWO totally separate things here. The Slingbox will allow you to use the Sling app, or the Sling Desktop app on PCs and Macs, to mirror what is on your TV that it is hooked up to. Tremendous benefits for watching YOUR tv and YOUR recorded programs away from home. SlingTV is an ad-sponsored TV service. With a Slingbox, and the appropriate app, you control your TV as if you were sitting in front of it, with the remote appropriate to your input device, such as a Dish, or Direct remote. I use my Slingbox all the time! I can do it from work, from a hotel, from a friends, etc.

I don’t have this particular model, but Slingbox in general is great for sharing a show or video with a loved one overseas. I have a friend on the other side of the world and we have a ‘date night’ where I rent a movie and we watch it simultaneously while chatting through Skype on a tablet. There is a few second delay but with the Slingbox connected via the regular non-hd output of the blue-ray disk player she can see and hear the video I am watching loud and clear 10k miles away from me. The viewer also has a 30 minute buffer so the other end can pause the video for a bit if needed.

RANT BACK ON

I have had 2 of these devices and I love the hell out of them. Considering even trading up to this one as its an excellent device. I can watch my cable tv (lucky me it comes with my rent) anywhere…at work…on the train commuting…out visiting my brother on the other side of the continent. I can watch on my S5…my S3 tablet…my Amazon fire tablet…any computer. Also, now I can stream the cable tv…to a TV in my bedroom…without running any cables. I can switch back to my android phone and continue watching in the kitchen when I go for a snack or beverage…Great for taking along to the “powder room” too. I also like to use it to watch a movie when I feel like luxuriating in the bathtub! All of this is so easy a few seconds wait…and I am watching my own cable tv…using an emulator that looks exactly like my own remote control at home SWEET!

So I have no idea why you bashed them so badly? I love my Slingboxes, easy setup, easy to use. Exactly what I was looking for

RANT OFF AGAIN!

Thanks Videovilin for your response! I had both the 2 devices you mentioned already saved in my wish list on the mothership, but was hesitant to pull the trigger until I got more feedback/reviews. There are also a few others worth interest, so not sure if you (or anyone else) have any further advice to give. Besides the Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB HDTV Digital Converter Box and Media Player and the iView 3500STBII. There’s also the Viewtv AT-163 ATSC Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player. And the one that intrigues me the most is also the most expensive, the SiliconDust HDHomeRun EXTEND FREE broadcast HDTV (2-Tuner), but it seems all this does is allow for 2 live local broadcasts to be recorded simultaneously, and then to be broadcast later remotely via your own unique URL on the internet (similar to Slingbox). Any other suggestions of how to make the most of free TV would be most welcome! Possibly interested in those services out there that can provide a few live cable channels for a $20/mo fee. (like SlingTV does where you get ESPN, TNT, and a few other stations).