Slingbox SOLO Media Streamer

I do the same with a dd-wrt client bridge to my Roku and blueray. The bridge will be better than any built in WiFi. I did the same thing with an Airlink router previously. also with excellent results.

The slingbox I use takes command of your tv cable box. I use a Tivo for my cable box. So if you were to watch a show away from home, whom ever was at home would see the same as you. I suggest hooking this to a cable box in a spare room

Chances are the ac adapter is what failed. If you still have your slingbox, go find a new ac adapter.

If you use Slingbox, those at home have to watch what you’re watching.

Can the Slingbox stream to two or more devices at the same time? For instance, if my wife and I are both at work, can we watch the same program (me on my cell phone while my wife uses her laptop) at the same time?

Question: Does using slingbox takeover the dvr/cablebox? Can we still record/watch shows at the tv while others are accessing shows from elsewhere?

edit: nevermind…saw the answer above…

AFAIK, no. At this price you can buy 2 and connect them to the same source.

I installed ten Slingboxes at work two years ago. No failures so far.

Sure, use either your mobile device, or computer, or a device like a NeoTV Max with the Slingbox app and attach it via HDMI to your TV. I do it all the time when I travel. I just plug in my Kindle HD to the HDTV in the hotel room, and I have all my local sports and programming while I’m away from home!

I have had a Slingbox Pro-HD for three years and it still works fine.

The SOLO is not high definition so buyer beware of that.

Both have to watch the same channel and my experience is that each can change the channel but both see the same channel

I like them French fried potatoes ah ha.

I have been involved “managing” five slingboxes (son, daughter, mine, two
for friends). I have concluded that if it works, good for you but if you
have problems you are in for a never ending battle.

I originally got a slingbox when it was still an independent company and
they worked flawlessly. Then they were bought out by one of the satellite
TV companies and it has been downhill ever since.

If something changes, like I got a new router, I could not get the slingbox
to work. I discovered that it would not accept an IP address from the new
router. I had to force my new router to go back to the old IP Address to
make it work.

If you go to the forums, forget it. I placed a question in February and got
a reply from Sling in May. And it made no sense. They were telling me I
had a firewall problem when the problem had nothing to do with firewalls.

If you try to follow the help pages you get different information and things
you cannot do. It is like the help just gives you random answers; nothing
connected to what your problem is.

If you have a working slingbox, DO NOT upgrade the firmware. I am sure that
killed the one I am trying to get working now.

And, man, if you have a problem, they love to force you to the “paid help”.
Of course if it is like the forum help. Good luck!

One poster reported the person on the other end hung up when he asked for a
supervisor.

******************************** New Information ********************
I wrote the above last June. Just a week ago I was at my daughter’s and had
to rearrange her network. Sure as $hit the sling solo didn’t make it
through the change. It took me two hours of going through the “setup”
process. I would do identical steps but the setup software would give me
entirely different options sometimes. I finally got it almost working but I
couldn’t get the “remote” to appear. My daughter got on her iPad and the
remote came up for her. That sling now works but only through her iPad.
Any other computer, including one wired to the same router cannot tune it
because of no “remote”.

It is so frustrating to try to go through the setup steps and part way
through something takes you to a whole different set of steps. Even though
you did nothing different.

Pete

I have had a Slingbox Solo for many, many years now (I was an early adopter), and while it’s true that the capacitors are extremely cheap rendering this thing useless after about a year for many people, Sling Media’s customer service is excellent. Luckily, my first one lasted about 3 years. I then posted something on their support forums asking what was wrong with my Solo and somebody from Sling emailed me saying that they would be happy to replace my Solo for free. A couple days later I got a new one. No questions asked. There is no guarantee that they will do this for you, but for $59, you will definitely get your money’s worth if you only get to use it for a year. The cheap capacitors were a huge problem for the Slingbox so I wouldn’t be surprised if these refurbished units have better capacitors. It would only cost the company a couple of pennies to put better capacitors in the unit and a blown capacitor is likely what got these units returned to be refurbished. I would definitely recommend the Slingbox Solo.

SquareTrade won’t extend the warranty although Woot provides a link to do so…what’s going on?

Happened to me once also- then I switched to Vulkano by Monsoon and never looked back.

I’ve owned 2 refurbished SOLOs. The first one had the aforementioned capacitor problem & crapped out after about a year. My 2nd SOLO has lasted well beyond the original warranty & is still working today. I believe the current mobile Slingplayer apps are now $14.99, half the old price. In addition, Western Digital Live Players, Netgear Neo Live & Boxee have free versions of Slingplayer. Sadly, Roku is NOT among the supported devices.

you’re posting a review for an item in a different sale.

You have to connect to the slingbox with a computer/laptop, then route to a tv through the computer’s hdmi port. Cumbersome, but effective, when traveling and want to watch your home tv on another tv.

I SLING to a WD TV Live Hub which is connected via HDMI to a monitor. The WD’s remote controls the Direct TV box where the slingbox is located. Works well, except note that this slingbox is not for HD.

Hope this helps.