SlingLink TURBO 4-Port Powerline Kit

Give it a shot. Maybe it will work in his jouse. I’m in for one.

The write up for this is awesome. Definitely no excuse now. :slight_smile:

I believe that it needs to be on the same circuit in order to transmit successfully. So if you have separate circuits &/or go through a transformer its no go…the most obvious example I can think of that wouldn’t work within a house is trying to go from 110v standard outlet to 220v dryer/stove outlet :slight_smile: You could run an extension cord to your neighbors house to share…It would be more secure than wireless or at least much more expensive to crack lol. Unless they just bust a window… Someone correct me if I’m wrong in any way…

only one of the 2 included in the woot is $70 on newegg but a cheaper method would be to get 2 of THESE and get a cheap switch my experience is great with powerline, its better than wifi speedwise, but they do get a bit warm

Could this be used for gaming? I realize that it says gaming in the description, but are they just saying that or is it really possible?

For example I have about a 4MBps connection and usually ping any given server at 15 to 50ms. Will I see similar performance or is this box really only meant for casual internet use?

I ask this because my wireless connection sucks and I’d like to avoid drilling holes in my wall to run a cat cable.

Also, on a similar note does anyone know roughly how old a wiring system has to be where is starts to become a problem with this system?

Can I use this for my TiVO unit on the opposite end of the house from the router? I don’t want to wire it up or buy that wireless adapter Tivo is hawking.

I want to need this. I have a sling. I’m close to figuring out what I can do with this. Can someone younger tell me how this could be fun and useful to me in plain language?

I’m in for 3 for my car. Just imagine how much faster it will go now!!

If you’re having a hard time getting something on your network, like a slingbox that is 2 floors away from your router or a console that is in a gameroom or kid’s room, instead of setting up a wireless infrastructure or running tons of CAT-5, you plug one of these lil boxes into your modem or router, and plug it into a wall socket (without a power strip). Then you plug in the other box into your wall socket in the hard to reach place. This system turns your electrical wiring into network wiring (it sends signals through your electrical wiring). The end that you’d put in the hard-to-reach room has a router built into it, too, so that you can share the connection with multiple devices. It’s useful if you’d require a long cable run or if you just aren’t getting any or any decent wireless signal there. They used to sell things like this at radio shack… it always seemed weird to me, but I guess it works.

I have a netgear 85mbps powerline kit like this (also infinion chipset) and its pretty useless, wont work for crap in newer construction (2000ish or newer) because of electrical code requirements calling for “arc-fault” circuit breakers, with arc-fault breakers these kits will only work on outlets that are on the same breaker, which by code now days is usually in the same room or at best an adjoining room anyways. Also best I have seen on the same circuit speed wise is worse than 802.11G. If you need to share internet without using wifi, look into MOCA or HomePNA links over CableTV coax or Phone wiring, much more reliable than powerline. Personally I went with 802.11A wifi, the 5ghz band is mostly uncluttered so speeds and link reliability is good.

A few reviews on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882082004

Apparently people have no problems using this for Netflix, PS3 and XBOX 360…

This isn’t a very good Sellout deal. I work at THE major electronics store and we sell these guys for $89, regular price.

If you want a multi-port switch on the media room end of things, though, the kit for $10 less here has it built in. That’s what the “4-port” reference means. Meaning that a gaming system, laptop, slingbox or other ethernet-equipped device may all be plugged into the single Sling powerline device.

To do that with the kit from BB requires adding a separate switch (and another thing to plug in). The cheapest one available online at BB is $35. Which makes the equivalent actually $45 more at THE store.

So yes this actually is a good deal.

I’m a little confused; which end of the equation do you put the 4-port and which end the 1-port?

I’m picturing the 1-port being plugged into the router and the wall, then the 4-port being plugged into the wall wherever you want to put 4 internet-dependent devices like gaming consoles, computers, bluray player, etc. Is that correct or incorrect?

Because how would you play the gaming consoles through the house wiring, right? The console and controllers have to be right there attached to the TV, and the internet feeding them for live play, would be coming through the house wiring, right? And the streaming netflix coming through the house wiring, to the Bluray player, which is in the same room with the TV, plugged in to the 4-port hub, right? I hope this makes a little bit of sense…it’s still too early for coffee to have clarified my thoughts. TIA!

You’re right on the money - the 4-port box goes where you need to plug in your entertainment devices.

I don’t think it matters. Think of it as a 5-port switch, with one of the ports separate but telepathically connected to the others. All the ports are equivalent.

In reality, the devices plugged into the 4-port switch will be able to talk at full line rate (100Mbps) to each other, but only at powerline rate (85Mbps under ideal conditions) to the loner. And if you buy a bunch of these, they’ll all talk to each other at powerline rate, so you can essentially have a 10-port switch using your house as the backplane…

Anyone know how one could determine if this would work in a multi-unit building, without being open to anyone in the building?

I’ve always been nervous about powerline devices since I don’t live in a detached house.

Also, I hate to dedicate two power outlets to this. The gadget/outlet ratio doesn’t allow it. I guess I could get one of those Y power cables that lets me plug both one of these and a surge-protected strip into the same outlet. Netgear has a smart design with a passthrough outlet, but their stuff isn’t cheap.

You can download SlingLink’s software here that lets you specify which devices are allowed to connect.

So far sellout woot does not have me as a purchaser of this item even though i purchased it around 9am this morning. are any of you guys out there in the same boat? i want one of these. i also tried to buy another and was denied. wow…

Why not send a quick email to service@woot.com before the sale ends?