Smith & Hook 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon 1.5L Magnum - 2 Pack

1. The surface area of a magnum’s cork is only slightly larger than the surface area of a standard bottle but the volume of wine is twice as much. If we can agree that gas exchange will only occur through the cork the exchange will be slower on a magnum for then for a standard bottle.
  2. The volume of air left in the bottle after bottling will also be proportionately smaller on a magnum though not as drastic as the cork size issue.

Of course there may be other things going on as well, like the larger volume will not change temperature as quickly. Maybe the biodynamic spirits that age wine well like large formats.

Due to my fine co-workers I am in for 2!

Sounds good - in for one. First time I’ve bought magnum size. Too bad they won’t fit in my wine cooler - the shelving won’t allow for bottles this big. I guess I’ll have to drink them sooner rather than later…

Sorry for the long absence, it’s been a long day of meetings today. I asked for a long explanation of the difference between the S&H and Hahn Wine brand Cabernets … and got one. Here is the answer from the winemakers.

"The way that I look at the differences between Hahn Winery cab sauv and Smith & Hook are grape sourcing, oak regimen, and blending techniques.

Keep in mind that over the years, the blends have changed quite a bit with the replacing of estate Bordeaux varietals with Burgundian ones and resourcing non-estate vineyards. The current vintages of HW and S&H are, in general, from Paso Robles, San Antonio Valley, Hames Valley, and Arroyo Seco. Smith & Hook has a stronger focus on Paso Robles and San Antonio Valley and the Hahn Winery has a greater focus on Hames Valley and San Antonio Valley. These two lesser known valleys are located in the “hot” part of our “cold” county, Monterey. The percentages of merlots blended into the two wines are in differing amounts. We have some very good Arroyo Seco merlot that we use, in addition to very small amounts of other reds. Since Paul Clifton started being recognized as our head winemaker, 6 or 7 years ago, the wines have improved, with every passing vintage being better than the preceding one. Timing of picking has changed from the “old days”. Now, Paul C. and Andy Mitchell, vineyard czar, wait for more maturity and fuller ripeness, ideal acids and robust tannins, not to mention higher Brix, typically. This results in varying levels of higher alcohols than in the past. Paul has also done extensive research into oak and which French oak barrels, from which coopers, at what toast level, to buy from. This has drastically improved the two cabernets. Hahn Winery and Smith & Hook use different oak barrels. Duration of time in barrels differs, as wines stay longer in barrels, they accumulate cost, but tend to increase in quality if pulled out of barrels at the right time. So, de-barrelling decisions have improved since the 90s. Paul has changed the number of rackings through the years to a more appropriate amount. Other various cellaring techniques have been brought in to deter off-odors and sulfides. Our grapes are farmed in a way to minimize and even eliminate what we refer to as “bell pepper” aromas that plagued cooler climate cabs of yesteryear, thanks to the ambition and technical innovation of our ownership and president.

The cost differences of HW and S&H cabernets will boil down to vineyard source, harvest techniques, barrel regimens, cellar life, packaging, popularity of the wine, and relative rarity."

Pretty interesting

Thank you: very detailed indeed… So, there’s no simple answer, but thank you for all the thoughtful info.

Thanks for the very thorough explanation - it is both interesting and much appreciated.

I find this comment particularly interesting, as I rather enjoy a hint of the bell pepper aromas found in some cabs, usually on the lower end of the quality spectrum, although it does put me off if it is too pronounced. I attribute this affinity of mine to all the plonk I subjected myself to during college.

Bouncing…

I just got mine today. One of the corks was sort of bulging out and there were red streaking stains on the inside of the packing material. Should I be worried about the quality/condition of the wine I got?

I received mine today. All 4 bottles were leaky in the packaging, and the one I opened had wine streaks at the top of the cork. Not bulging, just leaky. The temps here have been 85plus this past week.

Same issue here. Hopefully someone will see this and give us an answer.

Hi,
Mine arrived without any apparent problems (Virginia). Lucky me.
I have seen some discussion on another thread re. “cooked”.
There they basically said if the cork is bulging and/or there is leakage, it is almost certainly ‘cooked’.
However, there are varying degrees and drinking short term may be O.K. but certainly not optimal.
They also said under these circumstances that cellaring for anny time at all was “off the table”.
Hope this helps.
The discussion I just read was on the New Deals on other Wine and Accessories thread. http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4353936&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=1691
This link might take you there??

An e-mail to service.woot may bring relief
Good Luck