SMITH & WESSON 8.6in S.S. Assisted Folding Knife

SMITH & WESSON 8.6in S.S. Assisted Folding Knife

These knifes are made with very low quality 4032 stainless steel. They will not maintain a sharp edge. I would not even pay $10 for this knife.

1 Like

Agree, that’s shit steel. Used to make butter knives. Stay away

1 Like

The “all black” version of this knife has 1255 ratings at Amazon. I am thinking of getting one just to keep around the house, for 10.99 I think that’s a good deal. Thanks for the comment on the 4032 SS blade.
Amazon “all black” Smith & Wesson SWMP4LS 8.6in S.S. Assisted Folding Knife with 3.6in Serrated Clip Point Blade and Aluminum Handle for Outdoor Tactical Survival and EDC

1 Like

Also known as X46Cr13, this is a low allow basic stainless steel (Really, really low alloy :lol: ) it’s composition is:

Carbon: .43 to .50%
Chromium: 12.5 to 14.5#%

and that’s it. Considering it takes a minimum of 13% Cr to get a stainless designation, and a minimum of .4% carbon to make a halfway decent knife steel, I’d say it’s about the low end of the spectrum. Even 420HC, which in my personal opinion is NOT a good blade steel (unless you want a dive knife) has more carbon, more Chromium, and vanadium, silicon and manganese for additional grain refinement, wear resistance and hardening properties

2 Likes

Funny that you guys say this is total shit, when this one (exact same knife, but different color) has 86% 4-star or above reviews with over 700 of them.
https://smile.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWMP4L-Stainless-Assisted/dp/B002OAY7WQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=SMITH+%26+WESSON+8.6in+S.S.+Assisted+Folding+Knife+with+3.6in+Serrated+Clip+Point+Blade+and+Aluminum+Handle+for+Outdoor+Tactical+Survival+and+EDC&qid=1580045639&sr=8-3

Think I’ll take my chances, it’s just a pocket knife after all. My Walther PPQ is the real protection.

1 Like

For real, plus at a $11 price point, I’m not going to feel bad about abusing the bejeezus out of it. I need a new box knife!

1 Like

I have had the smaller version of this for I bet 8+ years now and love it. Holds an edge well, and easy to sharpen. Just pulled the trigger on this one. Might be a bit large for an EDC but will see. I think my other one is actually a bit on the small size so thinking this one will replace it.

You mean to tell me a $11 retail knife is of suspect quality??? NO!..

3 Likes

The four I ordered arrived today, and I couldn’t be happier. Given the above, nitpicky comments, I wasn’t expecting much. But they and I were wrong.

The weight of the Amazon bag was my first indicator they’d have some real heft and substance. They do. They’re bigger and a shitton more robust than a picture implies. They’re also sharp as hell. Whether that edge stays or not is really irrelevant, to me at least, given the facts that 1. I don’t live in Walking Dead land, where I’d be chopping wood and puncturing skulls all day, every day, and 2. I actually own knife sharpeners.

The flip mechanism took me a minute to navigate, as I’m used to flipping auto-assists via the thumb attachment. Once I realized the index finger knob was the actual flipper, it was off to the races - quickly. That the “red is hot” safety is identical to a handgun’s is very cool gravy.

For having just opened it today, and not having put it through its paces, I’ll still give it a 9/10 thus far.

For $11, you will not find as solid, rapid-fire, EDC, utility knife. If you do, buy it.

I just received mine and I can’t close it without shoving the latch mechanism that keeps it open over with a butter knife. Definitely not of any great quality regardless of price. Not interested in something that can close up and slice my finger off either.

Mine came today and it’s great. It’s actually the all black one which I prefer. Lever on top was a little stiff but a couple of drops of oil and works great. Very solid knife that I think will last longer than I will. Not an $11 knife like above review said. Normally $35-$40 on Amazon. As fast opening as my full auto knives.

I am not disappointed in this knife; in fact, I wish I’d bought a few more! Opens “scary fast” and can easily be one-handed:

Very high quality feel for the price.

1 Like