Smokin' Aces Tanzania Coffee, 2lbs

Smokin' Aces Tanzania Coffee, 2lbs

The obvious question - whatā€™s the roast level? I know a lot of roasters just say ā€œtrust usā€, but ffs, some of us donā€™t like particularly dark roasts or light roasts or whatever. Some people, for some reason, only like their coffee charred.

4 Likes

Charbucks, weā€™re looking at you hereā€¦

4 Likes

HARVEST TIME:

October-December 2018

Yikes. This seems a little old.

Maybe somebody will be along and call it a #wootoops but really, for a premium product, this is just clumsy.

If you go to the Smokinā€™ Aces website you can find out more info RE: roast. This particular company doesnā€™t like to list roastā€”they explain on their site that they prefer to go by notes instead.
Iā€™ve ordered from them previously but not this particular coffee. Iā€™d try it but I just got my Woot! Heart of Darkness (which is Smokinā€™ Aces) and have two bags!

Iā€™ve bought from Smokin Aces before. It definitely wasnā€™t a Charbucks clone. It was good. A medium roast IIRC.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the Roast Date? I saw someone asked about if it was actually from 2018 and if itā€™s light or medium, but Iā€™m also concerned with when was it roasted. Iā€™d love to buy this, but I donā€™t want coffee that was roasted in 2019.

Historically, they roast a day or two before shipping so itā€™s fresh! Great stuff! No, I donā€™t work for them. I just really enjoy their coffee.

1 Like

Per the vendor

Light-Medium roast

1 Like

Thanks TT!

Yup, read their website and agree that sometimes the tasting notes are sufficient. For my setup, though, beans that end up oily gum up the works and Iā€™ve never been able to get nice espresso shots with dark beans.

Nope, not Charbucks - I quite enjoyed the previous bag I got of theirs.

Thanks for posting. I am buying a bag. Your reputation is on the line now, congrats!

2 Likes

Thanks! Thatā€™s all I needed to know, to order. Ordered two bags and looking forward to them. I love African coffees with a light-medium roast. Hopefully this wont disappoint.

If this is like Blue Bottle Coffee - Three Africaā€™s, I am going to hate myself for not buying 2.

more info

Correct harvest date is Dec 2019

Coffee beans will be roasted the day your orders are fulfilled.

1 Like

The past Smokinā€™ Aces coffees were medium roast, with the exception of Squid Ink, which was pretty dark, but not charred.

Fari enough, but the same coffee roasted to different levels can taste wildly different. My favorite is Sumatra, and when we did pot lucks when I was in AOhelL Iā€™d bring coffee Iā€™d roasted myself. The same Sumatra coffee, literally out of the same bag, roasted four different ways. Sumatra wants to be a medium roast, usually, and has notes of blueberry, but most places cremate it (Itā€™s very hard to find non dark-roast Sumatra) . Light roast would have grassy notes, medium more fruity, darker could be ok, but a dark roast ended up tasting like Starbucks ā€˜bottom of an ashtrayā€™ā€¦

As to the beans being old, as long as theyā€™re stored properlu, it wonā€™t hurt them. I have some Jamaican Blue Mountain thatā€™s 6-7 years old now, kept in a vacuum canister, and it roasts up perfectly happily.

(Later edit) Just bought some for the heck of it, and realized thereā€™s no options for the grind size, either. Coffee makers want a different grind than a French press or a reusable k-cupā€¦

1 Like

I got my shipment and OH MY GOD! It was well worth the wait.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! Glad my reputation is safe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes