Snow Blaster 13-Amp 18-Inch Electric Snow Thrower

If you “NEVER” get more then 2 or 3 inches of snow…this is for you.

But if you think this will do the job of dealing with heavier snow you will be disappointed. Everyone I know who bought one (including me) started out with the same assumption: In heavier snow I will just go slow and it will deal with it. WRONG!

I also have a “similar” model of this snow thrower - love it!
Even as a grandmother, I can easily hang this on a nail in the garage, lift it down and carry it to the area I want to clear (not too heavy to me).
No spark plugs, gas, filters, smoke, etc. Starts no matter how cold it is and (for the money I spent for it) is a god-send for my aching back. No problems with it for 5 years now.
DO NOT use this on a gravel area (you’ll bust out the back behind the blades) and use a good, heavy gauge extension cord.
I have used this in 12+ inch snows and the trick is to let the snow thrower do the work - don’t force it. If the drift is really deep, I just gently push it into the drift, pull back and let the thrower pull the snow down. I actually find this rather relaxing (as long as I’m dressed warm), as it is quiet and clears the snow easily down to the pavement.
My neighbors hate me, as their kids all want one instead of having to go out with snow shovels!
I agree that this is probably not enough for anyone in the Boston area, but for me to handle alone, I can’t imagine an easier and handier snow thrower than this.

I bought the equivalent to this last year and it is well worth the money.

I live just outside of Boston and we get hammered sometimes, so I upgraded to a two stage (a month ago…it’s been crazy here), but these little electric things owe no one an apology. I have done 12" storms before with it. I have to chip away and it takes some time, but it’s still better than a shovel!

It also does better in the smaller storms than the large two stage. It spins fast so it really throws the snow, where as the two stage seemingly needs more snow to really throw it far. It also will safely (relatively) do the deck.

Dealing with the cord is a pain, and you will need to buy a decent one if you don’t already have it…so add that to your cost. Again though, it’s still better than a shovel and not as inadequate as some may think.

If I had $150 to spend, I would likely try finding a gas single stage on craigslist first, but if you want something that just works and will do more than it reasonably should, these things are totally worth it.

I’ve had two electric blowers, a snow joe and a maztang. The snow joe is great I highly recommend it. The maztang is ok, not as good as the snow joe. I chalk that up to the snow joe having more power.

Don’t believe the BS being thrown about gas dual stage being superior. Yes, they have more power and work better on wet snow, but they are not without their problems.

Maintaining a gas engine is a PITA. You need to give the engine regular tuneups and you have to go to your local gas station to fill the gas can. Then you have mix in oil. When they break, it is expensive to fix them. Not to mention they are big and you need to find a place to store them.

The biggest problem with the electric blowers is the cord. Once you learn to deal with the cord, it is less of a problem.

Electrics never need a tune up or oil. You might need to replace a belt, but that’s about it. They are light weight and easy to move and store.

Learning to use it properly is also important. Electric blowers will not work at capacity on wet snow. Once you figure that out, they will work fine.

When there is wet snow I do a single slow pass down the middle of my driveway. Then subsequent passes only fill half, or less, of the opening of the blower. Doing that works fine and the blower cleans up my driveway faster than shoveling.

I live in a Boston suburb (Newton) and bought the Snow Joe a couple of years ago. It’s still going strong, and although it is becoming more difficult for it to throw the snow over the +6’ banks, I can use it to move the snow down the driveway or sidewalk until I can find a low spot. Beats shoveling, although there’s still some of that. It won’t cut through the stuff the plows leave at the end of my driveway.

Got mine today and got it running in time for Saturday’s snow forecast however the shipment was missing a part. The upper chute crank is missing. May make plowing difficult. Waiting for Woot Support.

Where are you located? My tracking number still says label created.

My tracking number also says label created. Any one has updated tracking?

Mine says label created on 2/18. Location: Elgin, IL. About 15 miles from me. I could’ve driven to get it but there is no movement from FedEx yet. Woot, any input?

You might want to check in with CS- I’m not myself aware of any issues with this item, but they’ll know and be able to advise! You can contact them using the support tab towards the top of the page. I’m sorry there’s such a delay.

Last time I buy anything Refurbished from Woot!

Snow Blower came in a beat up over taped box and when I opened it I could tell this was just some used item rather than a refurbished item.

Parts in a zip lock baggie, owners manual was made on a copy machine and stapled together, screws stripped, Snow blower still had dirt on it from use and it was all scuffed up!

I have to finish putting it together to see if the thing actually works (which I’ll do tonight) but there’s nothing refurbished about what they sent me!

If it works fine I’ll keep it for the $85 it cost me but I’m pretty disappointed in Woot and am leery about buying anything that’s “Refurbished” from here again.

Follow up for anyone who cares. Used this today on the 3-4 inches of wet snow we got today. Worked great. One minor problem, the chute unit that attaches with a tiny screw was broken, likely from the previous owner. I have contacted woot for an exchange - hopefully they can just find a new chute to send me instead of the whole unit. It was actually simple to assemble and get working. The refurb was pretty crappy, aside from the broken part there was a screw missing from where the safety bar attaches to the shut-off switch.

Likely some serious safety issues with this unit, but for the price, its worth the risk to a few fingers.

[MOD EDIT: Embedded img]