SodaStream Jet Starter Kit

Yes, but just remember that paintball canisters are not food grade nor is the refill process.

In short it’s a rip off. One bottle that contains less than 1lb of CO2 is $15 (exchange price). I can go to the local homebrew store and exchange a 5lb tank for that price. There are various gizmos you can get to try and use bigger tanks on the SodaStream or refill them but why go through the hassle.

I just got ‘The Carbonator’ cap from the local homebrew store along with a 5lb CO2 tank and regulator. I reuse 1L and 2L bottles from store bought soda. Also you can easily recarbonate a 2L bottle of store bought soda that has gone flat.

To carbonate well you really need to pressurize and then shake the bottle, not sure how you would do that with a SodaStream unless you picked up the whole machine.

Lastly the pressure on the SodaStream is low, I recall hearing just under 20 PSI. I carbonate at 40 PSI. There is quite the difference in the carbonation levels you get at the different pressures.

As for how long, I’ve been making my own for over a year and have yet to deplete my 5lb tank. It all depends on how you use it but around 50L per pound is probably a good rough estimate. So in other words the SodaStream 14.5oz bottle probably doesn’t quite give you the 60L they rate it for.

Finally someone with some sense. The rest of you clowns going on about this and that need to get a grip. Why blame Israel for a factory where there wasnt one and once its gone wont be again…get my drift?

I am VERY interested in all you say - when you refer to “‘The Carbonator’ cap,” do you mean this thing at the mothership: http://www.amazon.com/LiquidBread-The-Carbonater/dp/B0064OKADS/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1421327136&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=‘The+Carbonator’+cap? And when you say you can EXCHANGE the 5 lb tank, how much did it cost in the first place? They run in the $70 range at a certain on-line vendor. Is any other equipment involved? Can you calibrate the level of carbonation at all? I find most soft drinks TOO carbonated for my tastes. Do you use flavorings at all?

Is there any good reference for more info on your approach? Thank you for posting!

I have used my brothers SodaStream and he loves it. He has been using it for years and often creates his own flavors.

I can’t wait for mine to come.

The SodaStream Naturals line only uses real sugar (but it is a bit more expensive). Personally, I like to make simple sugar (sugar mixed with water and boiled until clear 1 to 1) and keep a bottle in the fridge. I then add lemon or orange extract. It taste really good and I have control over the amount of sugar I drink.
My husband likes to use the root beer extract.

You can always find a cheaper way to do something if you’re willing to do the extra work. We sell both the SodaStream system as well as homebrew supplies in my hardware store. Using the larger CO2 tank will save you money, but you’ll need to buy (or lease) a 5lb CO2 tank which will set you back $70 if you purchase. A regulator is going to run at least $50, and then you need to buy fittings and tubing. So the initial investment is greater and it’s also not as easy to use compared to the SodaStream process.

I’m not saying your idea isn’t great for folks that want to do a little more work to save some money in the long term, but the SodaStream definitely offers convenience and a lower entry price then going the homebrew CO2 setup route.

BTW, in our market everyone just uses their SodaStream to carbonate for seltzer. We rarely sell any flavoring.

Because the Soda Stream works just fine, with small portable bottles - easier to carry around than a 2 liter.

My adapter works wonders on the model I have (not the one for sale here, sadly) and I’ve been using a 10 lb tank on it for ages. It’s perfect.

I get that you’re trying to make a point, but no, you don’t have to “pick up and shake the whole machine.” I mean, honestly?

There is a nozzle that extends into the water in the bottle. Adding CO2 agitates the water as the stream is injected into the bottle. It carbonates quite well, and far faster than ‘The Carbonator’ cap you have. I did my research before getting a tank adapter, as I already had much of the other equipment (attachments, hoses, etc.) for beer-related use.

(Emphasis mine.) Incorrect. The internal of the Soda Stream does not contain a regulator. I run mine on a straight line from my CO2 tank with no in-line regulator and zero problem. Even the tanks that you’re “supposed” to use from the company just screw straight in to the machine.

It’s my opinion that no Soda Stream is worth it without an adapter to use regular, cheaply refillable CO2 tanks. Their tanks are WAY too expensive to exchange. I made sure such adapters existed before I bought my machine.

If anyone would like a link to the adapter I use, I’d be happy to provide it.

Yes please!

Yes please!

Howdy folks. I see there’s some discussion on the company. That’s fine and dandy. Just remember that we do not allow personal attacks of any kind.

Focus the discussion on the company and you’re fine.

Wouldn’t mind if you talked some about the SodaStream itself though. You know, as a product. Like making things to drink.

It’s a little backwards to see people debating the political climate in which these were made.

Where are you when products from China get posted? Because we shouldn’t encourage companies to keep humans as slaves to manufacture goods. Or what about pointing out that we shouldn’t buy a product because it could have been made by a child who was bought for pennies in Indonesia now working in a factory hundreds of miles from their families.

Oh. “But…Israel” they’ll say. Well, hopefully one day your self righteousness will grow beyond anti-semitic walls and you’ll stop jumping on bandwagons and swallowing all the junk CNN and other media dole out for you in neat little packages.

Disclaimer: NOT affiliated with these guys, and I really wish their site was better, but here ya go.

http://www.co2doctor.com/

They offer several solutions for various models. I got their “FreedomOne+” kit.

I’ve had my Soda Stream for over a year and have yet to pay for more CO2, between using the bottle that came with it and using a spare 10 lb. tank I had sitting around (which was only $10 to fill for my kegerator).

There’s a trick to not throw the tank wide open too fast, if you leave the system de-pressurized between uses.

I do NOT suggest this if you do not have easy access to CO2 refilling!! IT WILL NOT BE WORTH IT.

Otherwise, most of the solutions pay for themselves in the span of approximately 4-5 of those stupid Soda Stream refills. Your mileage per refill, of course, varies.

It makes fantastic carbonated water, wonderful soda, and you can find ALL KINDS of recipes online for making everything from your own tonic water up to making near-perfect soda replicas. You don’t just have to use their syrup line.
Experiment! And have fun!

I’ve had this exact model for about 3 years now and love it. It’s held up well and not only do I make soda, other drinks too. You can get discounted drink mixes on their website which saves money and the refills at retailers with discount coupons which makes it much cheaper than soda. After the initial expenditure for the machine, I know I am saving a fortune.

As far as where it is made, why don’t you take a look at their website? Yes, their corporate office is in Israel, but their manufacturing is in Australia, China, Germany, Israel, South Africa and West Bank. As already stated, if we, as Americans, only bought American products, we would be out of food, clothing and wouldn’t even be able to buy a single car since 70% of GM cars are made with overseas parts. Get real, folks. Either you want this great, unique product or you don’t.

Such hostility. Keep in mind I was answering ExactlyAmy’s question about the long term costs of the CO2. Yes it is a little more upfront cost, especially compared to this deal. But compared to regular retail prices of the SodaStream machines it does not take long to make up the difference. And for a heavy soda drinker even this deal would not take long to recoup the difference.

As I said I also use 1L bottles, I’ve even used 16oz bottles. I get versatility that I just don’t get from a SodaStream. I can make a large bottle for a party or a small bottle for just myself.

That plastic bottle can withstand the 800 psi of a full CO2 tank? There is a regulator inside, it’s just not adjustable.

Thanks for posting - just a couple other questions - there appear to be more than one “FreedomOne+” kit - which do you use?

Those START at $70, but I assume ANY compatible adapter with a high pressure tank hose and an appropriate connection/pressure gauge combo would work? The mothership sells a couple things, including this:
http://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Sellution-Paintball-Canister-Conversion/dp/B00IAJZUIU - would that work?

All advice is appreciated! Thanks again!

I have had a Soda Stream for about 4 years and I just love it. It is a different model–I don’t think they had this model back then.

I bought it because I was tierd of hauling cans and bottles of soda home from the store.

I prefer the Naturals line of soda syrups with Apple Mango being my favorite. I also make my own syrups using citrus fruit from my yard and agave necter. Lately I have seen Pepsi syrup for the soda stream.

Typically I get my refills at the local big box bedding store using the 5 off 15 coupons they are always sending me. I don’t use it on a daily basis–but I probably only need a replacement 1 or 2 times a year.

My one wish would be Beer flavored syrup! I’d be in heaven…

Interesting post. Too bad we can be as diligent in exposing ALL products made in sweatshops or via human trafficking.

I have had a Soda Stream for over a year and have learned a lot about it…

Soda Stream cartridges are expensive, even if you are just making fizzy water and not using the syrups. It’s cheaper to buy canned or bottled seltzer. (There are ways to cut expenses, but easier if you use other SodaStream models.)

As another commenter pointed out, Soda Stream syrups typically use sucralose as an added sweetner. The “natural” syrups without Splenda are harder to find. There are online companies that do offer syrups in a variety of flavors without the fake sugar stuff.

This is what we did! So much cheaper.