SOG Multi-Tool Powerlock EOD with Leather Sheath

if you want a crappy one.

this is a SOG, I don’t have one of these, but every SOG knife I have is worth the price, and that price is usually much more than this.

+1 to you, sir. You get all the internets that woot! has given up with this weak BF/CM weekend.

To add some on-topic content, I love my SOG power pliers. Easier to grip than a leatherman and feels heftier and stronger.

These multi-tools are actually quite good.

• The pliers are even better than “dedicated” pliers (not a multi-tool). They can squeeze very tight even one-handed because they aren’t directly connected to the handle – the plier tips go through a set of gears to apply leverage.

• The handle is comfortable to hold tightly because of the removable steel cover plate. Your hands aren’t pressing directly against unopened tools within the handle.

• The Philips screwdriver is a real Philips – not an arrow-shaped flathead. It fits most screws quite nicely and can apply a good deal of torque without stripping them. It still isn’t as good as a real Wiha screwdriver, but great for a multi-tool.

• All of the tools are removable and replaceable.

Sog seems to have looked at Leathermans and Gerbers and asked, “what irritates us about these?” and fixed those things.

• On the downside, unlike some multi-tools, the SOG is made from stainless steel. This is good in that it won’t rust in most conditions, but bad in that stainless steel is not as strong (nor can it hold a blade as well) as carbon steel.

No. Not if you put any value in quality at all.
This SOG tool is head and shoulders above anything you can find at walmart. This is a serious tool and WELL worth $40.

The pliers are FANTASTIC.
The knife is really good.
The scissors even work!
The sawblade is very tough.
And you can really torque the screwdrivers without worrying about tweaking your tool.

You can even customize it with different parts direct from SOG.

I have one (Black) from a previous woot. Nice heavy-duty unit except the retainer spring on the 1/4" socket attachment got lost a while ago. Can’t say I’ve found a use for the C4 spike.

Upon further examination, I don’t think this is the same as what I have. I have a V cutter on mine and I don’t see the C4 spike on this one.

Overall it’s still a high quality unit. Better than Wal-mart Leatherman stuff.

Where’s the Woot-off?

Update to what I said, I think it’s the Leatherman wave that has tools you can access while the pliers are closed.

Glad someone got it. Man, I miss those ads…

Maybe I am a little slow today… Enlighten me…

SOG tools are certainly a few steps above Leatherman, Gerber, etc. If you’re in the market for a multitool, you can’t go wrong with this one. I’m a big fan of mine.

That’s fine if you’re in an airport where you can do that. I lost a multitool because I had packed it in checked baggage on the way out of the US, but managed to go all carry-on on the way home. I didn’t get a “take back to your car” or “mail it home” option there at the overseas airport, and chose to let it go so I wouldn’t miss my flight.

The SOG S61, not the S61L offered today, on a previous woot, June 6, with a nylon pouch:

http://sellout.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3981013

Extrapolate on quality, etc., if you wish, for a similar product.

TROLL’d

Come to think of it, I used to have one of these SOG’s…bigger than you might expect, measurements notwithstanding, and heavier than anything you’d find at walmart, but that heft means quality, right?

This tool retails for $110.00 at the SOG website.

How does this stack up against a Leatherman Mini?
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Mini_Tool

I got one (the Leatherman Mini) years ago with the pouch and love it.

This is a full-size multi-tool, right?

For $45 it is a great price, but I’m on the fence.

Appears to be $70 w shipping various places online.

I have a couple SOG multi-tools. These fine crafted tools put leatherman and gerber to shame. This is a well-engineered, solid piece of equipment. I keep a SOG multi-tool in my car, on my bike, my motorcycle, and in my kitchen. BTW - they usually retail for 80-130 bucks.

Alright, I’ve been waiting for these to come up again and now I’ve got to try and scrape together the cash to get some extras. I’ve worked as a scenic carpenter, theater technician, and rigger for almost 4 years now and I’ve been using one of these for 3 years and it is by far the best multi-tool I’ve seen. Those who feel that that Leatherman is better are welcome to their opinions, but in my opinion, the SOG is the heavier duty tool with better pliers, better blade, better saw, and just overall, better tools. They retail MSRP for $110 and street price for mid $60’s.

Like I said, I’ve used one of these for 3 years now and I’ve retired my older model for a new one, but the old one is still going strong as my girlfriend’s field tool and practically still looks new after years of hard use. The saw cut through chunks of 2x4 faster than my co-worker could walk back from the tool room and bring a sabre saw and an extension cord. The knife blade is my go to splinter removal tool (it’s THAT SHARP), add a 1/4" socket adapter kit with the appropriate heads and you have a drive unit compatible with virtually any screw or bolt you’ll need to work on. Even the covers for the handles are well designed making the tool much more comfortable to use than some other tools. The other basic tools are standard issue, nothing special but still rock solid.

One thing I have yet to see any other multi-tool manufacturer even come close to equalling is the combination of plier strength, ease of one hand opening, and rock solid feel that is present in the entire Powerlock line. The geared action provides a smooth and uniform one hand open capability as well as being the heart of the compound leverage system that allows you to use those wire cutters to cut steel chain link fencing with EASE. And only the Victorinox multitools have had the rock solid feel of a quality tool anywhere close to the SOG. Gerbers, especially the fliks and the multi-pliers, are notorious for their loose tolerances and atrocious rattle.

Yes, other tools will be smaller, yes, other tools will be lighter, yes, other tools will come with some big name you can brag to your friends about, but when you’ve got the weight, the space, and the self confidence in your equipment and your own abilities to spare, the SOG is the tool to get, end of story. I have bet my life on the quality of this tool before and I would do so again in a heartbeat.

The link in the body of the story to “General Mpombo” doesn’t work.