SOG Outdoor Gear - 3 Piece Set with Nylon Sheaths

Speaking as one who used an entrenching tool frequently for several years, the handle design may work wonderfully well for digging but not for hacking.

Here’s how to go Camping for Beginners

hooray! now i can go re-enact the book “Hatchet” after reading it electronically on my 8gb ipod touch!

Kind of tempted to get a set to keep in the trunk of the car, just in case. Or get two, one to put in the trunk of the main car, one to add weight to the front of the VW bug.

Sorta wish I camped anymore, now…

Looks like a nice compact combo for campers and offroaders. Never know when you’ll need a shovel to dig your vehicle out should you get stuck. Sure beats carrying a full size shovel on the roof rack.

Yup, sure will. It worked on a 1,000 lb. rosie I pulled in last fall on the Ore. coast, held its edge and all.

I just picked up a second for keeping in camp.

YouTube videos:

SOG Hand Axe

SOG Entrenching Tool

SOG Folding Camp Saw

one more on the Hand Axe

the us government says so

Arnt descriptions grand.

SOG Entrenching Tool (F08)
Weight: 24.5 oz. (693 g)

SOG Hand Axe (F09)
Weight: 18.6 oz. (526 g)

SOG Folding Camp Saw (F10)
Weight: 8.6 oz. (243 g)

Thanks for playn.

When I saw these tools some of the write up was already in my head. LOL, nice.

But did you read the Amazon review of the shovel? Not good at all. I think I’ll pass.

I used to do Ground SAR, and at less than four lbs., these beat mil-spec all the way.
Maybe not as heavy-duty, but when you are running from the zombies, you’ll appreciate the weight-to-strength ratio.
Srsly, these look very adequate for some back-country camping. however, that is NOT a throw axe, and would be ineffective against zombies.

A Christmas gift for the survivalist on your gift list?

we used to use these types of shovels to get in tight spases under houses to install a/c units it works well if you dont extend the blade flat but insted at a 90% angle to scoop/scrape dirt in tight spaces

The whole package is 4lbs so not too heavy

Good question. It is designed after the standard military-issue entrenching tool. It is called this because its primary use is to dig trenches. It is more than a shovel because the blade can be folded and locked in at a 90 degree angle and used to chop at the ground.

I’m only 2 of these and some of those ready to eat anywhere meals away from being ready for almost everything.

An entrenching tool usually has a longer spade length. It’s specifically made for digging a trench around the tent, to keep water from running into the tent. Also to dig a slit latrine or “cat hole” for your restroom needs. Not really built for heavy-duty digging.

Probably just a name thing really. We get issued entrenching tools as part of our loadout when we deploy to the middleast. If these meet or exceed the quality of the ones they give us, then they should last pretty well. Not sure how the warranty is for SOG, but I’ve never heard any complaints or people needing to have their items (knives and multitools) repaired.

Here is the Official Government Camping Website