SOG PowerLock EOD Multi-Tool with Leather Sheath

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

SOG PowerLock EOD Multi-Tool with Leather Sheath
$39.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Who couldn’t use an extra multi-tool?

More of a leatherman fan myself. Though SOG makes some good stuff.

Neat.

But does it work for things other than defusing bombs?

-=C=-

Product website:

This is just what I would like to have at only 10 times what I’m willing to pay! Yay!

A Similar Previous Woot!

Here is a video demo of sorts.

Gives an idea of size and blades. MacGyver would love one of these.

[youtube=jJf8fzOxPlc][/youtube]

Bummer: No corkscrew.

Version with leather sheath unavailable on Amazon, but nylon pouch version is $68.

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-B61-N-PowerLock/dp/B000JD08ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317791178&sr=8-1

Light is diffused. Bombs are defused.

Second time around for this item - the dogs ate the old one’s leather sheath. I leave one in my bag, I want to have one more to stay in the car. And this one is BLACK!

GREAT selection of tools, excellent pliers, rugged, sharp scissors, positive lock, I’m pretty happy with mine.

Geez, what a tool.

When I was a kid all we had was a swiss army knife with a plastic tooth pick and some worthless tweezers. We built nations with those!

Not worth $35, you can get a Leatherman for $40 and its infinitely better

I lost my leatherman so while looking for a replacement, I came across the SOG multitool. So I thought “SOG’s a great knife company, so this must be a great tool right?” I couldn’t have been more wrong.

First of all, a little prying with the flat head screwdrivers (the same pressure that I used with my Leatherman with no problems) snapped both of them at the base. So I looked up their warranty. Leatherman’s warranty at that time was a no questions asked lifetime warranty (now it’s 25 but still no questions asked). SOG’s is definitely questions asked so the prying that I did was in no way covered. After having my Leatherman for close to 10 years, I had snapped one of the needlenose pliers, got ahold of them and they sent me a brand new one, again, no questions asked.

I lived with that for a while but it drove me crazy that they didn’t use any Locite or any such thing on any of the bolts that held the thing together. I was pretty good about re-tightening them but not good enough because on the one side, one of the bolts fell out, followed by the accessories.

It was at that time that I decided to give up and go back to the brand that I knew and trusted… Leatherman. Which, I’ve gotta say has even improved on their product.

It looks like SOG has changed a couple things, like the teeth of the compound leverage setup for the pliers are now covered when before, using a screwdriver would result in a very sore palm from the teeth digging in. Also, the screws are different and I’m guessing maybe they won’t fall apart?

After my previous experience though, I’d say spend a few extra dollars but prevent some stress and stick with the brand that has proven itself.

All that “stuff” is cool but what I would really like in there is a spork.

Is this thing going to rust on me like every other multi-tool I’ve had?

This is a quality multitool. One complaint that some users have though is that sometimes components snap off during rough use. One unique feature of the SOGs is that components can be added or replaced as necessary. Here is a list of accessory components. Juse make sure it’s compatible with the PowerLock.

For example, here is a can opener and small screwdriver

http://sogknives.com/images/flash/200-104/pic1.jpg

I’m sure this is on the TSA approved list of items you can carry on… NOT!