SOG PowerLock EOD Multi-Tool with Leather Sheath

Great information! Thanks!

I second Leatherman.

I can’t speak for SOG’s warranty personally but I know whenever I have broken my Leatherman their warranty program is awesome - fixed or replaced with no questions asked!

Be aware that SOG customer service can be hit or miss. After I purchase a SOG multi-tool via Woot last year, I tried emailing them 3 times and finally called them.

They completely ignored all of my emails, and the woman I reached on the phone was trying to get rid of me as quick as possible as if I were a telemarketer.

If you’re in the mood for my longer story about this, here it is: Sog - an example of poor customer service.

On the bright side, the tool performs reasonably well. But, for a few extra dollars, Leatherman’s Super Tool 300 is a nicer tool that’s backed by far nicer and more helpful customer service. A little more and the Wave offers outside-accessible knife blades and a more pocket-friendly size.

Still no Spork. But I guess that C4 spike makes up for it.

I gotta say I’m a little surprised cause I was totally expecting a refurbed iPod Touch today for some odd reason.

The central component of all these multitools is the pliers which forms the hub for all the other components. SOG excels here. Whereas most mutltools give a leverage ratio of about 8:1 (the pliers exert 8 lbs of pressure for every 1 lb that you apply), this SOG has a ratio of about 14:1 because of the gears. One Amazon reviewer claimed that s/he was able to cut through a quarter “like butter.”

http://sogknives.com/images/products/moreinfo/compound/powerlock.jpg

Is SOG American made?

Found it: Assembled in the USA; which means forged elsewhere (likely China).

The geared plier feature beats my broken Leatherman… Tool customization feature rules.

Being somewhat of a paranoid urban survivalist, I used to carry a multitool with me wherever I go. It was somewhat silly since I live in NYC and we never had any natural disasters (that changed this year when we had both an earthquake and Hurricane Irene within one week!). Still, I found it reassuring to carry one with me. The scissors proved handy in all kinds of situations. Then 9/11 happened. Many buildings started using metal detectors. Carrying one was no longer practical since it risked being confiscated. While I understood the rationale, I found it ironic since having such a tool may save your life in another 9/11 type of event. I can envision using it to cut yourself free if trapped.

I bought one of the SOG multi-tools from Woot about a year ago it was very similar.

Must say the leverage the pliers has is something I find I use a lot. I like it a lot and it was crazy cheap.

I also have a SOG I keep in my “in case of Earthquake” medical bag in my car with food/water. And yes I need a spork too.

I know one…at this price.

I have been wanting to try one of these, but not this model.
I have been carrying a multi tool every single day with few exceptions for 12 years or so. I don’t feel right without one, i use it all the time. I have gone through 4 Gerber though. leatherman has a great warranty like everyone here says but the damned things are not comfortable really. I mean, Hold a Gerber and you will see a HUGE difference, problem with Gerber though is they break. if you do not know the limits, you will break it if you are physically capable, sounds like the SOG tools have the same problem.

also this flip out compartment cover seems awfully inconvenient, I am used to taking my Gerber out with one hand - opening it with the same hand and i do it so frequently that i can also have either the serrated OR reg blade out in that same single motion, this action would be impossible with this knife and i would be reminded of that repeatedly every single day.

so if they were free or even just under 20.00, I’d take one for the tackle box maybe, and keep my ready to break Gerber on my side. LOL

Buck makes a better multi tool than this. and that's saying alot. LOL

Yeah, a spork would be nice for camping or while stranded on an island. Which is why I’m somewhat disappointed that one of the features is a black oxide coating. The low or non-reflectivity is important for various reasons but if I’m stranded, I want to use it as a signaling mirror. Additionally, when the rescue planes come, I want to make sure I look presentable so a mirror is crucial. At least that’s what I learned from the ladies on Gilligan’s Island.

http://s3.sidereel.com/episodes/64921/featured/1bc5.3.19.jpg

I’ve got one of these, and as a nerd, I never actually use the tools for what I’m guessing they’re actually designed to do, but I can vouch for it performing like a champ if you ever need to break into those triple-walled electronics packagings that surrounds all the stuff like memory cards.

And while there isn’t the corkscrew, the bottle opener also comes through if you happen to need one in a pinch :slight_smile:

Whoo hoo! With this tool it’ll be a breeze to crimp blasting caps and demolition cord. Can’t imagine how I’ve managed to get by without carrying around something like this on my belt every day!

:slight_smile:

My woot SOG multi-tools are still going strong (and they make a fantastic gift for people who enjoy tools)… I keep it in the door panel pocket in my car and I’ve found use for it on a regular basis for all sorts of errands… I’d be up for another one but the one I’ve got works great…

Thank you. Now shut the door and let me shower alone.

I got three when Woot offered these in the past (no black finish). Great multitool, love the extra leverage in the pliers, and the locking features are great. Only problem is the thing weighs a ton and is bulky. If I’m going to walk around all day with a tool on my belt, I’m more inclined to wear my original Leatherman than this monstrosity.

Yeah, the corkscrew is important if you’re ever stranded on a deserted island with Thurston and Mrs. Howell.