Sokol Blosser Winery Dundee Hills Pinot Noir - 2 Pack

That’s quite the rash generalization. It’s also your opinion … and we know the old saying about opinions. My personal experience & opinion is different. Do you or others have specific comments on THIS wine that might help us make an informed decision?

For the winery: can we please have the pH and recommended cellaring window for this wine

My wife and I visited this winery over the summer, as well as several others. This was our second favorite. I joined their wine club while I was there and almost find it a little insulting that this is a better deal than what I can get from them with my member discount. Definitely in for 2 from Woot (Is there anything better than Woot.com?).
On a tasting note, we did sample this bottle and purchased some of the 2009, which is now cellared. I would say that it definitely needs to age for another year or two before drinking. Their 07 was much better in my opinion.
Anyway, great place to visit. Super friendly staff. And great wine to boot. Thanks Woot!

I just tasted this wine at Pinot Days here in Chicago. I usually do not take detailed notes because I’m having too much fun, but my system is that I only indicate or pick up literature on wines I really like. I did pick up their card I this was one of the first I tasted. I do recall that this was one of the better Oregon Pinot Noir represented. It was much more balanced than other Oregon Pinot I’ve run into over the years. I feel they tend to be a little more acidic than I prefer. This one had a nice rich red fruits with just a touch of spice and oak to round it out. I believe they had the 07 along with the 08 at the tasting, but the 09 seemed to outshine them all. I do believe this will be enjoyed by most Pinot Lovers.

Sorry to not be more descriptive. I’ve been drinking and collecting wines for a number of years, but I know what I like and the taste I’m looking for. I’m just not too verse in the characteristics that other people might need to know about the wine.

I’ve been to the winery and would love to get in on this offer. Can you give me any info about shipping? I’ve been “burned” a few times–those tiny gel packs did nothing. Temps here in the 90s. If you can add extra ice, I’m in.
???

has this wine been aged in oak ? i have an allergy to oak.

Length and type of aging: 100% barrel aged, 16 months in barrels, 44% new barrels

To those who’ve said “I’ve tasted it an it’s good” without more details…could you please give us as many details as you remember? It would really help out those of us who have distinct style preferences (e.g. I don’t tend to enjoy Russian River PN, but have much better luck with Carneros and Sonoma Coast).

Yes it is quite a rash generalization, but one I made from tasting many PN lately. If your experience is different please put it out there! I would like to know it and other readers may as well. If anyone doesn’t like an opinion posted here, they can simply write it off.

The worst Willamette PN we have had the last two weeks was still a B/B-. Given the few Burgundy PN I have ever had, the Willamette PN are a much closer match than Cali PN. Again my opinion, and the more the merrier.

Thank you for purchasing our wines! Hope you enjoy them. Please feel free to contact us and let us know what you think.

Our wines are aged in oak. All of our whites and our Rose of Pinot Noir are aged in stainless. Please visit our website and check them out.

Thank you. We are excited to have this opportunity to reach new customers and long time fans.

Side note: there is so much wine fermenting in our winery that there are fruit flies flying around my desk. That is the dreamy part of this business:-)

If I were to juxtapose our wines to those belonging to our Southern neighbors I would say that our Pinot Noir has a deeper earth and forrest floor component. The Dundee Hills soil provides this character that is layered over dark red fruits. Couple that with our extensive aging program and you get elegant, age worthy and food friendly wines.

Hope you get a chance to make to Oregon soon. We will look forward to seeing you.

We did our first deal of this nature last year on Lot 18 with the 2008 Vintage of this wine. So far, we are loving this dialog and opportunity the Wine Woot has given us. We see this as a way to introduce our wine to new customers.

The oak is a prominent character in the wine when first released but even so, I would not call it an “oak bomb.” Oregon’s growing conditions lend themselves to subtleties more than so than heavy influences. I feel that the oak is well integrated and becomes more so with time. The wines age incredible well.

I totally understand your frustration. We look at a sale on Wine Woot as a marketing opportunity more so than a long term sales channel. To offer this price all the time would not be good business for our family. That being said, give Jeff Knapp (Hospitality Manager) a shout (jeff@sokolblosser.com) and let him know about our dialog. I am sure we can extend a special offer to such a dedicated fan.

You can post about our wines anytime! Thank you.

Thanks for the info! So then what would you say is the optimal drinking window on these to have more integrated oak? There was also a question from somebody before about the pH - any chance you could find that number laying around somewhere? Rightly or wrongly, many people use that number to guide their purchasing decisions here.

Sokal Blosser, welcome to Wine.Woot! I think you’ll find the Wooter! community is into “long term relationships” with their favorite producers found on Wine.Woot. An Oregon woot gathering is in the works…

Any family recipes you can share that you pair with your Pinot? Cheers.

In case anyone is Vegan and/or prefers to shop from Environmentally Friendly companies: from my research all of the wines made by Sokol Blosser are Vegan Friendly. In addition they were the first US winery to become LEED certified, have several other environmental credentials, and are pursuing biodynamic techniques. Yay!