Soldering Iron, ISO-TIP inQuick Chargein

Soldering Iron, ISO-TIP inQuick Chargein

What did y’all do, find this in some dead technician’s back room stock!? I’ve got one of these I got when I was a kid… my dad had one of these he got when HE was a kid… and that design and packaging looks about that old!

1 Like

The box in the picture makes it look like it’s been in somebody’s closet for the past 50 years. Maybe someone grabbed it from an estate sale?

1 Like

Sounds like your kids need them.

Do you really think anyone would allow ME to reproduce!?

1 Like

Someone has to.

Not it!

2 Likes

Notwithstanding replacement-rate birth rates (get a room, guys) I’m hoping we have ANY OTHER soldering tools here somewhere… anyone?

The output specs for those bug-zapper fly-swatters is critically dependent upon the applied power. Two AA batteries give you approx 2700V at about 29 micro amps (may have slipped a decimal point) - but if you stack a couple more batteries in-line, flies will attract lightning from several inches away, and you can tell the “juicy” ones by the steam explosion when they wander too close… “More POWER!!” - ah, ahem…

2 Likes

ummm… maybe I’m being dense or maybe I just ain’t had enough coffee yet, but… what does soldering irons have to do with fly swatter zappers?

Mostly, I’m looking for a tool I’m interested in buying. You don’t want to try to hold together a stack of batteries by hand. Serious FYI: those suckers are in-line with the voltage multiplier circuit, so THOSE will bite you if something slips. You have to change out batteries after an evening partying, so you can’t set them in concrete. I’ve got metal clips, and Alien Tape to spare, but soldered connections enhance the results.

1 Like

Ahhh! So… I see…

I’ve soldered batteries together with soldering irons, but you have to scrape the coating off where you intend to solder, use flux and be quick. I usually use a soldering gun, because it can get much hotter, much faster, which makes it easier to be quick about it. What you really need is a spot welder - diy battery spot welder at DuckDuckGo

1 Like

Yeah, no, the soldering would be wires-to-contact plates (both of which I have, not-soldered), not soldering to the batteries themselves (I predict degradation to electrolyte movement/paths if I’m heating them up externally).

Another alternative would be using my usual go-to deep-discharge lead/acid battery, but that then needs a long harness to avoid a LOT of exercise chasing fruit flies…

When I was a kid, my dad bought a set of battery powered tools (trimmer, hedger, blower) and I still have them. The battery pack for these is a sealed lead-acid battery, like you find in jump boxes, in an external casing. The tool plugged into the battery with a cigarette lighter plug and the case was carried over your shoulder with a strap like a camera bag. It’s a thought…

Cool - THAT’S my favorite kind of “hoarder’s bait”. As in “just when you least expect it…” you’re off digging thru cabinets in the garage gleefully muttering “I KNEW I’d need that thing one of these days…”

2 Likes

Unfortunately most of my good stuff is stashed across state lines, I have to think about what I’ve got locally…