Solena Estate Vertical Pinot Noir (3)

We are big fans of the Zena Crown vineyard. We have leasing part of it since it was first planted.

Thank you for the very detailed review noslenj. I am digging the 2010 vintage right now. I think it is in a sweet spot in regards to its evolution in the bottle.

Thanks for your comments bolligra. There is no doubt 2012 was an exceptional year in the Willamette Valley.

We embrace vintage variation, it is part of what makes winemaking so interesting. I think this is a great opportunity to try 3 recent vintages from a great vineyard and a consistent winemaking influence.

Hi bahwm, Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I liked your description of your dinner. It’s making me hungry!

noslenj, Please come out and visit us if you make it out to the Willamette Valley. We are building a new tasting room and hospitality center on our home vineyard outside of Yamhill. We will convert our current tasting room to a special event space. It should be opening around April.

My experiences with pinot has shown a lot more variation based on the quality/growing location of the grape than with, say, Cab or Zin.

Admittedly, I’ve not had much pinot from the Willamette Valley, but I have enjoyed most/all of the pinot I’ve had from the Anderson Valley AVA in California. Can anyone offer a comparison/contrast of the two appellations?

Have only had Solena once a few years back. The winemaker is the consulting winemaker for my favorite Oregon PN. And I can vouch that he does great things with their fruit.

I am trying to resist, as I have bought four offers recently. But I do love OR PN, and this sounds like a great one, as expected from Solena.

Coming to you from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, collecting on $100, 10 to 1 bet on the L. A. Kings winning the Stanley Cup.
For some unknown reason the monkey left a bottle of this on my door step last week.
Pinot???
Really??
Pinot??
Me???
Really??
I think Rjquillin might have something to do with this as he’s always on me to “expand” my taste in wines.
1ts sip found this wine to be dry and very mellow, This Pinot is light and silky on the palate, a hint of raspberry and a touch of Vanilla, but not overpowering. Did a swirl and found this wine has very nice legs.
Decided to decant and let it sit a few hours, when I came back the wine improved as it aired, picking up extra layers of complexity.
Let the wife try, as she doesn’t like a strong, robust wine. She’s not a Pinot fan either but liked this wine.
As a Cab man its hard to say it weather it meets a Pinot fans expectations, but we did like this wine, Although I’m still not a Pinot fan, but it did change my feelings of Pinot.

Which vintage?

Willamette > Anderson :slight_smile:

Obviously that opinion is going to completely change depending on the taste buds in question, and I admit to being very Willamette biased.

Often Willamettes can be more delicate with subtle complexity, while to me Andersons are often more robust, but often one-dimensional. Of course, that’s oversimplified and exceptions can be found everywhere…but that’s my broad stroke summary. (And again, I haven’t tasted Solena’s goods.)

hooray for shipping to GEORGIA again!

oh yeah, in for one …

Echo, echo, echo…
But I’m in for one as well, thinking this may not make the end of the day and allow me time to ponder a potential purchase.

Trying to buy but amazon isn’t working.

Ugh and double ugh. :tongue: :tongue:

Well, ok then… looks like I gots me some drinkin’ to tend to. I best go saddle up the wine glasses…

I went in for one. Holiday buying break be damned, had to support local.

Hi everyone! I am the Director of Marketing for Solena Estate Winery. I’d love to help answer any questions you might have on the 3 year vertical of our award-winning Zena Crown Pinot Noir.

Make sure nothing else from another woot site is in your cart. You have to buy separately on wine.woot.

If that doesn’t work, private message me with more info.

To PM me, click on the envelope next to my name in this post. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.

Wow! I had no idea I was that good a salesman. Maybe they could use me in their Marketing Department. Although, from my limited experience, all they need to do for marketing is to get people to taste their wine, and it sells itself.