Sonic Impact V55 Video Player for iPod

I bought this back in November for like $50, it’s actually pretty nice, decent sound and picture quality, only works with certain I-pods though…

Bought it for $10 more the last time it was offered on Woot. Pretty decent and even better at this price. Display is just OK, not great but nicer than squinting at the little IPod screen. I have a 5G IPod with tons of movies/tv shows and this product worked just fine on my last trip for a 2+ hour in flight usage. Only minor gripe is that the controls are occasionally flaky, but I’ve worked around it so that I now understand it’s strange little behaviors.

5th Gen iPod docking capability!?! If only my 5th gen wasn’t keeping my kitchen table steady, I’d be totally in for one of these.

Coolest toy evar. Works with 5.5 and less. To work with 6gen you need the apple adapter cable thing. I use this with my zune 80 in a dock, with my ipod. You can switch the source from video (which is how I use my Zune with it) to ipod (which sits inside the little cradle).

and now I am buying another one :slight_smile:

i’ve had one of these for a few months. battery will last about 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on the volume you use. great picture. great sound. great included accessories. awesome little player. well worth the money tonight.

This item is not compatible with the new iPod classic and the new video Nano – in other words, the iPods released in September 2007. This problem does not occur in older players.

With the new iPods release in September, Apple locked down the Video Out feature only to those devices that have a new security chip that connect to the iPod. This is supposed to be due to the new iPods supporting “enhanced video” formats. I don’t know what that means, but nearly all 3rd party players are now incompatible. This chip exists in the universal dock and at this time, one very expensive player (not the Sonic). It does not exist in players that have been around for awhile, such as the Sonic. Also, Apple is due to release a universal cable (at the cost of $50), which very inconveniently will be available only from Apple.

If you have a new iPod, do not buy this device, but wait a few months for Sonic and the other manufacturers to catch up and include the new chips in their devices.

I know this, because I bought the Sonic only to find this issue. By searching on iPod video out problems, I was able to find a great number of articles and forums describing this issue. To follow it up, I visited my local Apple store, where the folks at the Genius bar told me about the cable coming out for $50.

In conclusion: this is an excellent woot if you have an older (5.5 generation or lower) iPod. If you’re buying it for a newer iPod, don’t waste your time.

battery life is pretty good. played 3 movies on this without it going dead.

only if you buy the 50 dollar adapter from apple. Makes it just a so so deal.

Geez…read the product info again:

“Works With 5th Generation iPod Only”

ipod touch and iphone, do not apply. (hence the low price!)

BTW 5th gen were around 2005
g’nite

i love how it says it only works with Video iPods however it has a disclaimer at the end saying that it’s incompatible with the newest software updates.

hilarious woot.

hope everyone read the fine print before laying out the $35

will this work with my Zune ?

Sweet! I’m totally in for one of these. <pleased with still keeping my 5th gen around>

It works with my 5.5 gen 80gb I bought last year in May.

And it WILL work with 6th gen - you just have to use a cable. The fact that the cable is $50 will piss off some people, but what else is out there for people who don’t want tiny video on their ipod classics? It will also work with ANYTHING that has a video out. That means Sansa, Zune, archos - anything with a video out.

No. I bought the same thing a year ago from woot the itouch does not fit ing the whole. It might work if you can get an female to male extension and the itouch can lay on top (I am guessing on the extension I don’t even know if one exists). But I just tried to put my itouch in it and it will not fit.

cool thanks

Yay…I missed out on this during the last wootoff. In for two.

a 13 inch screen player for the Touch would be groovy. The airport/plane movies and NFL games and other i-tunes vid is sweet. Never thought i’d get into ipod stuff but this thing rocks

With an IPOD Classic with the latest it will not be recognized as a VIDEO device…

However…

If you have an IPOD Video Dock Connector (Or I’m guessing a IPOD Video cable for the CLASSIC) and start the movie then undock / detach the cable and then dock in the unit it does display the movie…

Hack Hack Hack…

-Mark

Darn, I’d be totally in for one if it worked w/ my Touch. Aww well, not a good woot night for me. the t-shirt is l a m e to boot. Come on Woot, help us touch and 6th gen iPod users out.

I couldn’t tell you generations of ipods …? never owned any apple til Touch. very Killer shirt.woot tonight .