Sony 7.1-Channel 3D A/V Receiver

Pretty good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at amazon

Blargh, spring clips. I never buy a receiver without mutiway binding posts.

[MOD: See this post below.]

Bought this at Costco about a year ago for $279, very happy with the unit. Pieced together my own surround speakers. The calibration is quick and easy. The Graphic interface is kind of clunky but it allows you to route audio and signal types and change input names easily.

I recommend this unit.

-Matt

I’ve had the STRDH520, which is basically the same unit minus the USB and Component connections, for just over two years now. I have definitely put mine through it’s paces, music, movies, games, TV, something, running through it almost non-stop. I’ve had absolutely zero problems with mine and would recommend it to anyone. I have it connected with a Sony LED, Blu-ray Player and PS3 so the Bravia Sync function is a nice touch too.

I have this same exact one…And I love it. I won’t ever trust sony again for software…Tablet S, vita, vaio I’m looking right at ya!..but hardware, they are still superb. Great features a good number of ports and for a little over 200 it is great. I got mine for the same price from PC richards, a floor model, and it still works awesome. With standby and passthrough(think it’s called that) feature, ie it is off but all connections can still passthrough to the tv and not “use” the receiver. I don’t use that feature as I use a green power surge that turns on several devices if and only if I turn on the receiver first (master). Since this standby/passthrough mode does use power, just less than full on, the surge power all my other devices.

Says new but the 90 day warranty smells like a refurb.

**[MOD: It’s new. Warranty has been updated. It’s 2 years parts and labor. Thanks! **]

That may sound picky, but it’s the spec that jumped out at me, too. That and the 10% THD at 140 watts. Why include that?

Is the Sony Sync really proprietary, or is it their name for CEC? My Onkyo has something that sounds proprietary, but it’s really CEC, so it works with my Vizio TV and Samsung Blu-ray player.

So I gotta ask - what makes a receiver ‘3D’?

Years ago Sony had allowed its stereo equipment quality to suffer to such an extent that I find it difficult to consider them as a viable provider. A 35W Pioneer receiver totally blew away a 100W Sony receiver that a friend had bought. I understand Sony has really made an impressive quality come back since then although the 10% THD spec on this unit is very high (bad). You can find many sales on equivalent (or better) Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, and Onkyo units which I would prefer for just a little more money.

Note to everyone who bought the optoma projector a couple days ago on sellout.woot. This has HDMI in and Out - if you don’t already have a receiver with this function and plan to hook things up to your projector by hdmi, seriously look into getting this. It is an excellent price for a receiver with HDMI in and out. I have the optoma projector, and buying a receiver with HDMI in and out made ours so much simpler to use. Our babysitters can operate it without long “how to” courses. Turn on projector and the receiver takes care of sinking the sound and picture. Beautiful.

Look at the photo of the rear panel. The main speakers have binding posts. The spring clips are just for the low power surround speakers.

It’s 95 watts RMS per channel at 0.09% THD. You can ignore all the other power stats. I would buy this right now if I didn’t have a very similar Yamaha already. It looks like a very versatile unit with more than enough inputs and outputs to work with any multichannel home theater setup. Sony is generally a high quality product in almost everything they sell. I particularly like their TVs and headphones. People who are unhappy with the product usually didn’t buy the one with the features or performance that they wanted. That’s on them for choosing the wrong model. Anyway, for the price, if you want a good quality versatile multichannel receiver for typical home use, I don’t think you’ll do any better than this Sony.

I’ve had this for almost a year and love it. At this price, I’m thinking about buying one for my parents too.

But my Onkyo (which I got for $290) has five-way posts for not just the mains but the center and the four surround speakers. All my speakers also have five way binding posts.

It’s not a huge deal, but being able to put banana plugs on my speaker cables and just plug them in is a great convenience, especially if I have to move things around.

Getting all the strands of heavier gauge speaker wire into spring clips can be a pain. It can be done, and it doesn’t have to be done often, but banana plugs are a lot easier.

The main spec is 0.09% THD, which is acceptable. I have no idea why they included the higher power big number, unless they are trying to compete with cheap crap for people who can’t read specs.

Other than being irritated that they would even list those other modes. The 1% distortion at 1kHz is bad enough, but at least it’s a standard (if useless) measurement. “140W at 10% distortion” - that sounds more like a vacuum-cleaner spec than a receiver.

My concern is that the 10% number appears to be the only one given for surround sound modes (the others are stereo). I’ve had problems before with Sony receivers flaking out in surround mode so this spec set still leaves me wary.

I’m guessing it allows for throughput of a 3D video signal. Not sure how that is drastically different from a regular video signal, though.

Front only yes, but also not the center channel which is normally not a low power speaker.

I would agree its not a huge deal, but I’ve definitely had more issues with spring clips than binding posts over the years.

If you are looking for an entry level receiver this seems pretty decent. It is not really comparable to moderate range and up receivers though.

Higher bandwidth, usually; especially for active 3D (i.e. the migraine-inducing shutter glasses), as the video signal has to be provided at 120hz to allow for 60hz per eye.
Passive 3D is not as bandwidth intensive, but it does still require more than regular 2D.

The point they are making is that, unlike a lot of receivers not equipped to acknowledge 3D video signals, this will allow them to “slip through” without being hassled (and thus no visual fidelity degradation).