Sony Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Theater System w/ Wireless Surround

I have installed many of these and the sound/pic is great, the wireless rear setup works flawlessly and those little speakers are soooo easy to hide…

I doubt it would take an audiophile to tell how poor the sound is on this one. I mean come on, the speakers are the size of a golf ball!

How rugged is this? Specifically will it still work if you drop this from a warehouse roof or run it over with car?

I bought a set of 5 speakers a little while back (Klipsch). Would I be able to replace the speakers in this with those? For $500 a Blu-Ray and reciever isn’t a bad deal.

Maybe not quite as bad as Bose, but still pretty bad nonetheless!

previous manual was for the blu ray here’s one for the stereo:

Sony WAHT-SA10 Home Theater System

and the blu-ray again:

Sony BDV-IS1000

Amazon has them for $650. Reviews 4/5 stars. 22/44 people give it 4 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001EWEXOC/

Why does the detailed picture show the speakers with wires? Just curious.

Does this pass the HDMI through or does it actually handle/separate the audio/video over HDMI?

I heard there was two types of things receivers do with passing HDMI but was a little confused on the matter…

If anyone was wondering, the “wireless” rear speakers will still have wires connecting to them. The wireless refers to not having wires running from the front of the room, to the back of the room. There is a receiver that needs to be plugged in that goes in the back of the room. The two wireless rear speakers are then wired into the receiver in the back of the room as opposed to the main receiver/Blu-ray player in the front.

Also, Sony has a proprietary connections between the speakers and the receiver. You may be able to splice real speakers onto the receiver connections, but it would most likely sound horrible as the receiver would not be putting out the correct wattage to run good speakers well.

The only thing I think that is holding blu-ray back is the stupid high cost of movies. The china HD-DVD is only doing well because of the cheap prices of the movies. Of course, blu-ray should never have beat HDDVD anyway, I think Sony wanted to actually win a format war for once so they bought the victory.

With those tiny speakers, are you sure this isn’t a .51 surround sound setup?

it looks slick, but still a little overpriced for me. i really need a good surround sound system though.

and why does it say wireless when it shows all those wires!?

can i connect front l/r rear l/r and center audio cables to this from my laptop??? you know, the jacks that look like headphone jacks… mmm computer gaming in surround sound!!!

You don’t want this. Combo DVD/Receiver are never worth it. They always flake out… you cant control the bass and wireless electricity, dont even get me started on that.

Looked tempting as a replacement for my receiver and a much needed Blu-Ray player, but there aren’t nearly enough inputs. That’s to be expected since it’s technically just a HTIB, not a proper receiver. Oh well.

Because all the speakers need wires, there is a wireless unit for the surround speakers, but you must connect the surround speakers to that unit with wires.

I purchased this system when it first came out, and assure you that this is a truly outstanding surround sound/BD system for small-to-medium sized theaters. The auto-sound adjustment is ‘spot on’, and the BluRay (via HDMI)looks as good/better than any stand alone player that I own. It’s also ideal for those with wives who complain about too much equipment cluttering up the place, since it’s so inobtrusive. Awesome Deal!

This sure works for a small room. Dont expect that chest pumping bass frecuency watching Transformers.

These speakers are way too small. They won’t be able to produce any decent sound. They will sound tinny, and the sub will lack any kind of presence.