Sony Vaio Dual Core Widescreen Notebook

I have a 4gig vista desktop and it ran like poop until I turned a lot of the features off (mostly ones I didn’t want in the first place) and now it actually runs great.
I would suspect 2gig (max on this laptop) would run vista ok if you turned every bell and whistle off.
Great deal on this, imo.

Small memory and low ram all with Vista thrown on top? Can someone please explain how this slipped past the Woot censors?

The minimum for running Vista is 512MB. No, I don’t recommend that. But Vista does better with 1GB than most armchair critics think it does, and the cost of upgrading from 1GB to 2GB is well under $50 (like $20 or so if you sell the old memory on E-Bay). Although I don’t think that this laptop is a good deal (see my other post), and I do think that anyone who buys this should upgrade to 2GB, that is such a minor point that, by itself, it’s not a reason to reject this item.

i am sure a lot of people is going to buy this refurb because it is a sony brand

And for $100 more at BB you can get a nicer machine with 3GB of RAM and a 200GB hard drive

Best Buy had this at this price brand new last week. Could prolly find some in slower stores. It was clearance. On second thought, I think it was $449, -=\ I should prolly know these things, I do work there.

No way with just one gig memory… and vista…

Just because it ships with Vista doesn’t mean it has to continue to run Vista. It’d be a fun system to run any of the Linux Distros with all the required speed. Would go for one if it wasn’t reburbed.

seriously, this is not such a vomitous deal if you have a xp pro cd around to wipe that vista right out there

@hiviper:

Not sure how familiar you are with Vista. The 32-bit, like what is here, only sees 3 GB. Your 4GB “standard” is 1GB too much.

using this same computer right now. did go to 2gb, but it works well with vista home premium and it’s been a good all around computer. sony builds things solid and it is reliable. mine was new from OD for just a bit more than this about 6 months ago.

not a chance, rather i got toshiba 3 gig core2 duo for 499 from office depot… lot lot better than dis deal…

WHy would you be running vista anyways? Get something different.

How about a XP machine
Vist still has no drivers for my upscale scanner or projector.
U3 just came on line.

Already have 3 laptops with Vista … can’t put any of my personal programs on it. Would be a sure deal for me if these had XP on them. Vista’s crap!

Sure, vista will run with only 1gb of ram. Maybe you could run it with 512, with the other 512 in swap. The question you should ask yourself is do you really want a system with the memory only capable of storing the operating system and nothing more? Notebook hard drives are slow as molasses, why would you put up with swap for your applications?

Nice computer if it were running XP but a good deal anyway.

almost but the laptop i have now is max of 2GB RAM and only .2GHZ faster processer… the hard drive is like 6x the size but not worth it

I don’t know why but I really hate VISTA. The first thing I did when I got new computers was to format the disk and load XP in it.

VISTA Home Basic will use about 600MB RAM without doing anything.

I have nothing important to add except that I found the Vaio/Baio comparison clever and amusing. But not never clever or amusing enough to trick me into buying it!