Sony VAIO VGN-AR550U Digital Studio Notebook PC

HDMI out for your HDTV…

sonys are a piece of crap

Why would you ever use a notebook for video capture and editing???

You can trick out a desktop PC for a fraction of the cost that would blow this thing away…

Lame.

most laptops have 4200rpm drives thats an upgrade

no, you can’t use the external tuner on your desktop. read up on “OCUR”

I <3 Vista.

You guys just must not know how to use it =)

WoW! That’s a number that will keep me from the big button… That’s more than a Macbook! Gosh, it ships with Vista - that swell new OS that crashed so often I had to get a new copy of XP!

Macbooks ship with the 5400 - A 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm is a $200 upgrade. That is fast enough for video. The 5400 is even marginal.

This is a better price than Amazon:

Sony VAIO VGN-AR550U 17" Notebook PC (Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7100, 2 GB RAM, 240 GB Hard Drive, Vista Ultimate) by Sony
Buy new: $1,699.99

This is a fantastic laptop - one of the best windows media machines until you get to a quad. Two hard drives. lots of features. I have one question regarding this power hog…

Will the standard battery last long enough to fully boot?

geforce 8400GT? WEAK you could get a dell or HP for the same price and specs cept with an 8600, thats 512mb as well.

My friends with VAIO’s all have had good experiences with them.

You didn’t seriously say that graphics card can max anything you throw at it did you? Heck, I’m sure there’s some games that can barely run on entirely lowest settings out now, maybe Crysis or something. Its better than integrated, but don’t expect much out of that graphics card, unless I’m really not seeing something here…

just buy xp and downgrade lol

Kittah is Cute.

I have two Vaio laptops that have each been used as my everyday PC since 2004. The first one I had one major problem with, but since it was under my 1 year warranty I got it repaired for free. Apparently the jack where the cord plugs in had broken, and it caused my monitor not to come on, but the laptop came on fine. While it was being repaired, Sony did a full system check on it and found that I had a few bad sectors in my HD and a broken fan so they replaced both. Only problem I have had with both laptops is the aesthetic aspect. Both left mouse buttons have the paint rubbed off from everyday use, and the paint scratches very easily all over the laptop. Otherwise they’re very good laptops, pricey compared to other brands, but I’m a Sony fan so I spend it.

$1349 with that processor? Sony name, how much is it worth? umm… I’ll pass –

Comes with Vista. :frowning:

Vista Sucks! Check this out:

What the hell do you people do to your computers? I’ve had Vista for a few months now, and it works perfectly.

Operating System
Sony VAIO VGN-AR550U: Windows Vista Ultimate
A hole in the ground: the nitrogen cycle

Winner: A hole in the ground with a TKO!

MOST

BRUTAL

KNOCK-OUT

EVARRRRRRRRR!!!1

Also, meh, my MacBook Pro is already faster than this and really wasn’t that much more expensive (plus, it’s already over a year old).

If I was looking for a laptop ATM, I might get it and replace Vista with Ubuntu or Slack, but I’m not so pass.