Sony Xperia Z Tablet Bundles

Apparently, the majority of users commenting are unfamiliar with either Android or tablets. A simple Google search of this device will show that despite being a year old, this is still one of the top three tablets available. This is a top of the line tablet that has had its praises sung by all the electronics review sites. Android is a great OS and has a very large assortment of apps available. As to the comment of the first Xperias not being waterproof, I believe that only relates to the Xperia S, not the Z. True, the Z2 is an improved version for $100 more for the 16GB, and $200 more for the 32GB, so compared to the current price of the Z (or Z1 if you prefer, this particular tablet) at 32GB, this is a fantastic price, especially considering the add-ons. I doubt we’ll see this older model discounted any further by Sony. This WOOT price is by far the best price offering I’ve seen. I’m still debating whether to spring for this older version or spending the extra for the newest, but to be honest, this one will do just about anything you want. I’m not into gaming on a tablet, so this original Z will probably suite me just fine, so why not save the $200?

Android is a very good OS. Yes there are cheap android tablets but most are really good. My Toshiba android tablet was actually better then my ipad. Some asus tablets that friends have had and some still have are also better then an ipad.

Ipad is over rated but it does have a good battery life.

I personally would never use a windows tablet. In my opinion and this is just my opinion windows tablets are the worst tablets that I have seen even worse then some of the cheat android tablets but not all the cheap android tablets.

Any way I would rather have android os on my phones and tables then IOS or windows OS.

Also I plan on buying this as I have wanted this tablet for a while now. It is in my wish list on amazon and I was just waiting for the price to come down.

Ack, now I see the Samsung Note 2014 deal! Decisions, decisions,decisions. I’ve been torn between these two tablet and sitting on the fence for months. I love the S-pen features of the Note, but despite what would seem to be better hardware specs on the Note 2014, most reviews still place the Xperia Z above it, citing lag from the heavy UI from Samsung.

Although I cannot speak for the quality of this tablet, I swore off Sony after a bad experience with their Experia S Tablet we purchased from Woot in August 2012.

Their customer support was totally lack-luster and we had nothing but problems with the tablet (horrible wifi reception, issues with updating, and problems even connecting to our router). After almost exactly 13 months, the battery quit and completely ruined the tablet (corrosion was evident on the battery contacts and charger base). Called Sony and our only options were to send it to them to ‘diagnose’ for over $150! No promise beyond a diagnosis whether it could be fixed. Option 2 was to ‘trade it in’ for credit towards a new model tablet. Well trade in value was only $10 (less than our cost to ship it to them!). Option 3 was to have them recycle it… yeah, at a COST (shipping) to us.

I know it was a month out of warranty, but it was not very proactive on Sony’s part, nor was it giving me the impression that Sony made quality/lasting products. I’ve had great experiences with other companies who give a little (Epson and Oppo come to mind) with their warranties. They have earned a repeat customer in me.

SO, YMMV with Sony products. Our experience may have been extraordinary, but err on the side of caution. Get an extended warranty! Do NOT expect Sony to go above and beyond…

Lastly, as far as the early comment on Android OS… THAT made me laugh! Take that one with a grain of salt.

Where is that deal?

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014-edition-1

Take this as anecdotal for now as I haven’t recieved it yet, but apparently the UI is buttery smooth after the KitKat update. Mine is arriving today so I’ll give it a go and report back.

EDIT: Yep. Post Kitkat update, after a night of use, this is is smooth as silk. TBH wasn’t that bad before, but I’m still getting my bearings with it.

Yeah, I have a Galaxy S4 cell phone which has basically the same UI, other than the additional software for the S-Pen and I rather like the UI for all its shortcuts. It makes it super easy to find what you want to do without digging through menus. That said, they’ve got lots of other stuff on there that I don’t care about and simply disabled. I know the Xperia Z is also getting updated to KitKat so that’s no tiebreaker for me (even though not officially released from Sony yet, it can be downloaded from developer sites tweaked specifically for Xperia Z). I really like Android as an operating system. I wish I could get away from Windows on my laptop, but I can’t due to work requirements. The only Apple product I’ve owned is an iPod Touch and it’s okay, but maybe I’m weird as I find Apple’s iOS to be frustrating (maybe because I like modifying things to my liking as I can with Android.)

Decent tablet, but for not much more you could get a Nexus 10, Kindle HDX. ~$250 on this would be a good buy…
Sony does abandon items. Ask anyone that bought one of their “Dash” units.

I own one of these. The xperia Z tablet is by far and away the best android tablet I have ever used (have owned acer a500, some lenovo crap, galaxy note phone, galaxy tab2 7.0). It is a 10" tablet that is light enough to hold comfortably with one hand. That is huge for me. The thin design makes it feel like you are just holding a screen, not a device. It is waterproof which is cool, I can watch netflix in the hot hub. Default software is good enough and fast enough that I don’t feel the need to install a custom rom (which I have done on all my other android devices). Screen is great, battery life is great. Only thing I don’t like is the speakers could be a little louder.

They are still updating the Xperia Z, it is not abandoned, plus there is a lot of independent development for it, because it is viewed by tech geeks as a premium device worthy of their efforts to tweak it. Nexus 10, great tablet, but also a year old and has no SD slot for expanding storage. Kindle is a closed proprietary modified Android system and I think it also does not have an SD slot. While it is a great tablet, it is not anywhere near as versatile as a pure Android tablet. It all depends on what you wish to do with your tablet as to whether it would fit your needs.

Damn you, woot!, and your attempted attack on my checking account!

Can anyone tell me about the display on this unit? I recall Engadget stating that the colors were a bit washed out and that the newer version Z2, had fixed this. Can anyone give their thoughts on how this display stacks up? I love the form factor of this tablet and really need a reason to transfer money from savings and pick this up.

I want to second on the Note deal over this. 10 cheaper, all specs match or exceed this tablet. In reality performance probably won’t be too different between the two, but the note has the advantage of S-Pen, multi-window, etc.
I enjoy Android devices over others myself, but I don’t really see the value in this Sony tablet unless another $100 were shaved off of the price.

Good news, it charges with a microUSB cable. Bad news is that it requires a wall socket and is slow (~8 hours for a full charge).

Yeah, I did love my Sony Dash. I still use it, but it’s not nearly as functional as it once was.

Wall socket charging is true of many tablets though. Computers just don’t have the juice to charge them.

The real question though is whether the z tablet is locked up or not. The s tablet was originally rootable, but after Sony issued the last firmware before abandoning that table it was locked up if you were foolish enough to install the firmware. Sony loves to lock down their devices.

Yes even the ipad does not charge off the computer. Wait I take that back it does only if the ipad is off and it takes like 24 hours to charge that way. I have done it before but that was after a sync and I just left it connected after it got done and in a day or more it was charged to my surprise.

Instead of posting things like this, it may be faster and more efficient to tattoo “I’m an id10t” on your forehead.

Android is the OS of choice for kindle fires, the now ended Nook line, the nexus 7 and 10, this (premium) tablet, many MANY high end phones, and an entire community of devs. It’s on cheap tablets? So that is the reason they fail? Is that an indicator of quality?

TL;DR - you are wrong to generalize, and should feel terrible for making such a blatantly foolish statement.

At $400, this is a clear “no buy.” Even at $200 I would be on the fence. Sony continually prices themselves way out of the market. For a locked-down, old tech, unpopular tablet there are many other better and cheaper options.