Soyo 22” Widescreen LCD Monitor

Hmmm… tempting. I currently have an ASUS 22" but I’ve been wanting to get a second monitor. I don’t really need a second 22" but the price sure is right.

Soyo makes a decent monitor. They are a 2nd tier manufacturer. This model is over 6 months old and it not a current model on the Soyo website. It was sold at CompUSA and TigerDirect for about $180. If you get one, set it up at the proper resolution (assuming your video card is good enough) ASAP and look for any bad lines/pixels like you would any monitor.

My only question is, why do you still have it and didnt return it with dead pixels etc??

Having never bought a monitor or tv from woot before, what would the process be if I got one with dead pixels. I know woot usually encourages people to get in touch with the manufacturer, so would I be dealing with soyo? If that’s the case, anyone know what their dead/stuck pixel policy is?

Kinda ironic how over at http://sellout.woot.com/User/YahooRedirect.htm the ‘funny’ description is all about power when this monitor isn’t even energy star compliant like my 22" Westinghouse that I got for the exact same price in store.

I just noticed that the same monitor is going on ebay for $150 with free shipping. Too bad that the live cashback is dead at the moment.

Does this thing not have HDMI?

I don’t see it on the spec sheet.

Also how are the built in speakers? Pure suck?

lots of reviews here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3776203&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS

No, no hdmi. just vga and dvi. somewhere tiger direct did a video review of this monitor, though of course it is just another of their “this is the greatest thing in the world” reviews.

im in the market for a new 22", but i have to say no to this.
1,000:1 contrast ratio is a deal breaker

here is the review.

ya no hdmi

Really? that’s the deal breaker? Most monitors have a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Those 5000:1 and 8000:1 numbers are dynamic contrast ratios which aren’t standardized across all companies so they are meaningless when comparing different brands. 1000:1 is standard for many monitors. Anything higher is probably shenanigans!

seems to have lots of unhappy reviews.

Lots of dead pixels on upper right…

I have seen the monitor in person. It is BIG and has a decent construction. Picture quality isn’t too shabby.

No HDMI is a little bit of a killer though :\

Here is a link for a lot of reviews–seems to have dead pixel problems http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3776203&body=REVIEWS

osama bin laden must be rich from me then…

i’ll stick with my 30" :smiley:

It seems like there are a lot of reviews about dead pixels and I know this isn’t a popular brand. I guess it’s too late now if I dont want it anymore… woops.
good thing I’m ok with having un-popular brands and 1 or 2 dead pixels is ok with me for this price.

I guess, thanks Woot?!?!

I also bought this monitor last month from Woot. It works fine, but it is NOT a 22-inch monitor. If you measure the screen diagonally, it only measures 20.5 inches, not 22.

Viewable is supposed to be 21.6

BUT, digital cable?, don’t you need the cable providers’ box anyway for digital or HD??? IF so, then check your providers box, I have a Time Warner DVR unit (which I don’t use…), BUT it has VGA output… so it would work, would it not??

THE POSTER does bring up a valid question, IF he is wondering, like I do… IS the tuner worth as much as the Monitor??? ANY 22" LCD tvs out their for any thing close to this price???

ONE unit, a 20" non-WideScreen model made by Funai, flooded the market last Black Friday… probably seen one, all the same, Emerson, Sylvania, Westinghouse, Polaroid, Orville Reddenbacher, Monestat 7, Studebaker… etc… all by Funai, refurbed units selling for under $150… but damned ugly, analog tuner, in fact that may have been the only input… don’t believe it had composite at all…
Walmart sold like a whole boat load of 40’HI containers of these units, (per location… it seems.) they sold a lot of them, they blurred the name in the ad, because Funai shipped whichever branded units they had if Walmart was authorized to sell the brand… they shipped in septic tank safe cardboard boxes, white with either black or blue print… I know, only becuase I wanted to mooch one as a second PC monitor/TV for the guest room… to no avail.

ALSO, many mfr’s, especially in the case of refurb units are choosing to not include the tuner when they refit the unit…

BECAUSE,

woot would probably sell half as many of these units with an Analog Tuner included, than by offering it without any tuner at all… because consumers seem to penalize the seller of an analog tuner unit so severe… nevermind most would be using it with cable service… because there is still so much confusion over the digital broadcast conversion early next year…

Buy this monitor. I have two of these. The one I’m using now is over a year old and performing flawlessly. The other I bought on Woot a few months back for more money but still a great deal. I’m seriously thinking about buying this and having three monitors…Soyo is good stuff…IMO You wont find a better monitor for this kind of money