Sports Beat Impulse Heart Rate Monitor

Amazon is actually selling this for $44.99, so I think you are a little off with your comment. Seems like a good price to me.

I would love a heart rate monitor that is accurate and strapless but you can see from the enlarged picture that you need to put your fingers on the watch when you want a reading.

As a marathon runner, I can tell you chest straps are much more accurate. I’ve experimented with wrist strap HRM and they aren’t as good.

If you Want to experiment with an HRM, for this price, it aint bad. As for me and my house, pass.

Oooooooh…gender settings.
Now I can go on dates and turn female when the check arrives.

Anybody know if the ones with a pedometer built in work?

I have one of these. It has a For Dummies instruction manual…one of the best manuals for those who havn’t seen one… I’ve also lost about 10 lbs from being able to train in my heart rate zone. I like that you don’t have to wear an uncomfortable chest strap. I’m in for 2 at this price!

this is a great price,i bought one at a higher price and i love the fact that you can get heart rate when you want without having to wear the chest belt.i use this all the time when i walk for exercise.i will buy this because its a great price

Finally an instruction manual that makes sense and easy to understand. Very accurate and a great price.
Thanks Woot!

Check again…looks like $44.99 on amazon… good deal woot

I have a Seiko that requires a chest strap and HATE IT. With you on that point. The strap feels uncomfortable as hell and I misplace it all the time.

Matter of fact, I don’t know where the watch is nor the chest strap. Have come across both at separate times, but because it’s so uncomfortable I have not been motivated to get the two back in the same spot.

I recall paying about $100 for it, about four years ago on eBay.

OK fellow Wooters, can you answer me this:

How does monitoring one’s heart rate help me lose weight?

And what does “hitting a target rate” mean?

Even though I road bike 5X a week for 20 miles in San Francisco I have no clue as to the answer to those two questions.

I like the idea of wearing one of these [without a chest strap. No way I would road bike with a strap on my chest.] But if this won’t help me in my ride performance, then I won’t bother even though $30 shipped is a very good price for this type of device [I don’t need spot on accuracy, just a general idea. My last checkup the Doc said my heart rate was very good, as in below average.]

Moreover, although I have lots of watches, this multi-function device would be better. Right now my bike computer has the time on it, but it’s so small I can’t see it. So I need a watch like this. If I can benefit from the heart monitor feature, cool.

Can anyone chime in, preferably someone who road bikes and has experience with these type of HRMs.

$50 and up on eBay too. Listed as the Dummies heart rate monitor watch.

Can anyone speak on the accuracy of the watch for HR monitoring?

I think 'hitting your target heart rate" is often referenced when talking about aerobic exercise. If I’m not mistaken, the target heart rate depends on your age, weight and sex. To get the most out of your workout, there’s a pattern that one is supposed to maintain during their workout with regard to sustaining your target heart rate during the workout.

I’m sure if you google aerobic exercise and target heart beat, you’ll learn more.

Be advised that there are at least 5 different “Dummies” models, though.
After looking them over, I’ve decided to wait and get the one that’s both an HRM and a pedometer. It’s only $20 more, and frankly the importance of heart rate zones has lately been shown to be overrated. The AHA no longer pushes the idea as strongly as they once did. There’s more to take into account than simple heart rate, like overall activity, BMR and BMI.

Just get some velcro and put this one around you chest if you think it s not goining to be accurate.

I am not a fitness instructor, just someone who monitors their heart rate for exercise. When trying to lose weight, you want at my age (37) I want to keep my heart rate between 120 and 140 to lose FAT/CARBS/SUGARS. If I have it any higher than that, it is considered Cardio and that is for endurance. Also, if your heart rate is below 120 while working out, it is like doing nothing…you have to be at a certain heart rate to lose fat/carbs/sugars and the recommended rate is above 120. If I am inaccurate it is not intentional…just the rules I have heard and followed. I always monitor my heart rate while working out, just an OCD of mine. I think it’s important and this is a GREAT deal. I hate the chest strap and might as well be wearing a 19th Century corset…no thanks!

it took them less than a minute to take it out of the box and take a pic of it again.
impressive work efficiency.