CONDITION: Red Magnum
PRODUCT: 1 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, 1.5 L
CT link above

Winery website

St. Supery on Twitter
St. Supery on Facebook

Previous offer:
3/10/10 <-2005 cab 750ml offered here

Stocking up on these is an easy way to cure the “well I’ll just stay up a bit longer and finish off the bottle” urge.

wtso just offered a 6.0 liter Imperial of this same juice for either $200 or $400, can’t seem to remember.

I would think it would just make the night last longer. :slight_smile:

Since magnums seem to be fairly rare on w.w. anything to know about recieving from shipping or storage of the larger bottle? Other than the fact it won’t fit in my wine rack of course.

I’d like to know about the cooperage.

pH: 3.76 raises an eyebrow.

In the vintner voicemail, Lesley mentions that magnums age longer, but then implies this is okay to drink now. Will it benefit from aging?

It was $399.99 (so $400). St. Supery has had several offers (including this one if I recall correctly) on WTSO in the last week or so.

My wine fridges are only able to store magnums on the top shelf or perpendicular to the other bottles on the very front of each shelf, depending on the bottle shape.

Doesn’t wine tend to mature a bit slower or differently in larger format bottles?

I’ll post the standard questions everyone always asks since nobody else has.

1. What’s the drinking window?

2. Is there anything besides the posted information you can tell us about the flavor profile of this wine?

3. Is it organic?

“The harmonious flavors of black cherry, anise and plush cassis explode upon tasting. This is a classic Napa Valley Cabernet which is wonderful young but has everything it needs to age beautifully”

All that, with a high pH and low acid.

I will go out on a limb and guess that this is not rpm’s preferred style, although possibly very popular in the general market.

I just took delivery of a couple magnums and they came in appropriate double barrel magnum-sized styrofoam.

in the vinter voicemail she does say that “advantage” of larger bottles is that, like you stated, it ages slower

Is that necessarily a good thing for a young wine that you want to age? Someone above said that this had to age a bit so slow aging could be a disadvantage to the larger bottle.

Offtopic: Despite the label used on the first post to describe my post above, I’m a Mac person not a Windows person :slight_smile:

Average pricing of the magnums and the 750mls on CellarTracker don’t really support this as being a “deal”.

Pass.

Plus, I already spent a bit much tonight on a JAM Cellars cabsav and a Delectus Argentum Meritage.

I’ve been stocking up on large format bottles lately. This is actually troublesome as I am definitely having issues with figuring out how to store them.

I wish I would’ve known about the 6L, my largest currently is a 3L of 2005 Ladera Howell Mountain.

I’m going to sleep on this as I have been on another binge lately which isn’t conducive to purchasing my second house…

According to The Oxford Companion to Wine:

(Under “ageing.”)

“It is also popularly believed that in general, the smaller the bottle size, the faster its contents mature, presumably because of the greater proportion of oxygen in the bottle, both as a consequence of the bottling process and any possible oxygen ingress via the cork seal during ageing. This is part of the reason large formats carry a premium.”

(And under “magnum.”)

“It is widely regarded as being the ideal size for bottle ageing fine wine, being large enough to slow the ageing process, but not so big as to be unwieldy, or unthinkably expensive.”

It’s a personal preference based on how you want to drink them. Some people like younger wines and a large format might help keep the wine young for longer. Others might want to save a young wine for even longer than they would a regular 750ml.

Magnum! Yay

The alcohol is under 14%, and the RS is negligible, so this doesn’t look to be one of those very ripe/overripe Napa cabs (regardless of yeast strains). That could excuse the lower acidity to some degree, although I agree that those numbers are pretty far out.

There are several CT notes, although it always amazes me now many tasters write negative reviews and then score a wine in the high 80’s. I suppose it would have to taste like battery acid to make the 70s.

BTW, I wondered about the French name St. Supéry, and found this on their website:

“St. Supery Vineyards & Winery is owned by the Skalli family of France. Robert Skalli’s family has made wine for several generations in South of France.” (and now I noticed that it’s also on the Woot page)