State of Denial

It’s good to know our heavenly bodies can identify which end of a cow is the front.

If you feel like reading a lot, here are three threads in which fellow Wooters have chimed in on:
American Apparel or Anvil? For A Limited Time, Take Your PickTime to Change Our Shirt: Shirt.Woot Now Using Anvil Blank Tees
Let’s Talk Lady Sizes

If you don’t feel like reading through all that, then here’s my perspective:

• Manufacturing: American Apparel (AA) shirts are made in the USA from fabric knitted by themselves in the USA - Los Angeles, CA to be specific; wages start at $12/hour. Anvil shirts are made in Honduras or Nicaragua from fabric knitted by themselves in Honduras; wages are about $8/day.

• Sizing, length: Anvil shirts start off shorter and shrink more; my experience is 2.5% shrinkage when line dried and 10% after a couple trips through the dryer. AA shirts start off longer and shrink less - <1% line dried, 2.5% dryer.

• Sizing, width: Both start off about the same. AA will tighten up a slight bit, Anvil will loosen up a slight bit. For a pictorial comparison on both these aspects, click here; both are size men’s large - the AA shirt underneath is over a year old, the Anvil is less than 6 weeks.

• Cut, sleeves: Anvil is a cut larger and longer versus AA.

• Cut, neck line: Anvil is cut much much wider than AA; here are a couple pics.

• Cost: Wholesale, Anvil shirts cost less than AA, hence the difference in your purchase price.

• Feel: This is subjective, but I find the Anvil shirts to lose some softness after a few washes. By no means do I find them “like sandpaper”, though.

• Overall: Everybody is different, and there are enough differences between the two that would sway the consumer towards one or another.

On a personal note, I will GLADLY pay the extra dollar for the AA shirts (which retail for $18, blank).

For everyone, remember to pay attention to the sizing charts!

I hope this doesn’t mean Woot is planning on switching to American Apparel full time. I can’t speak for everyone here, but some of us are getting older and not as athletic/slim as we used to be. I’m not that big, but I think if I buy AA shirts I need to buy 2 sizes larger and even then they’d be tight.

Right now, it’s a trial run, more so for the logistic aspects at Woot (as I see it). As everybody’s body is different, the best course of action for Wooters is for Woot to continue to offer both in the future.

Big contracts Marzipanapple!!!

I love that lumberjack. I bought the shirt because of him, the rest is just an awesome bonus.

OK, who’s been taking bites out of the scenery? Fess up, don’t deny it now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wooo! Congrats, marzipanapple! Got mine. :smiley:

Hooray! My boyfriend and I both got one because of the awesomeness. However, we won’t wear them at the same time because that’s just annoying to everyone.

Congrats marzipanapple! This is amazing!!!

Speed to First Woot: 2m 34.996s
First Sucker: thumperchick
Last Wooter to Woot: egofreaky
Last Purchase: a minute ago

First day sales 970 AA & Anvil
First day posts 29

Damn, I’m bummed I missed this one yesterday. It almost feels like the old shirt.woot–tshirts I actually want to wear, that come in my size, and are only available for a limited time…

I know it’s a long shot, but maybe someone ordered AA by mistake? Women’s medium AA if anyone has one they don;t want…

Shows both Anvil and AA sizing but no option to specify in order. I want AA, is it still available?

Our apologies, the shirt information should update soon.

The only options we allow in the Reckoning (at the moment) are Anvil shirts.

I ordered this one on an AA & figured the extra buck was worth it. And it might have been, except that the printing job on this is just abysmal. The yellow letters are so poorly inked that you can’t farking read the shirt! Call me picky, but I think “to the sunny state of” should be legible. And you can forget about “where everything is just fine.”

Of course, this might be irony at work: the shirt meant to mark the end of Woot as we knew it.

I think this one’s on the artist, not woot. The “distressed” font is simply too “distressed” - especially when reduced to the smaller print used for the women’s shirt, it’s nearly impossible to read.

But I think that it’s reasonable to expect the shirt to look like the pictures we’re ordering from. If I’d known the words on the shirt were not going to be readable, I wouldn’t have ordered a shirt. And if that means that Woot should impose limits upon what fonts & size can be used in submissions, so be it.

And the unreadable letters on this shirt were on the biggest shirt available: Mens 3X.

My first return purchase on AA (ML)- font is unreadable and one of my hills is darkened by a layer of smog. I’m thinking someone was too enthusiastic with the brown ink.

Ya know, I hate that it happened to someone else, but part of me is glad, too, because it proves that it ain’t just me.