Stickiest, Yummiest, Chewiest Reds

The Exuberence really has my attention. I very much enjoyed the 2010 (notes on a previous link) and also liked reading the detailed tasting notes about the 2009. I’m going to jump in for more.

Before I pull the trigger though…talk to me about the others. I’ve had Lang Zin’s before…decent daily drinker. Any of the others big must-haves? Any notes/thoughts on the Argent stuff?

Stickiest, Yummiest, Chewiest Reds

Lang Wines Amador County Zinfandel 6-Pack
$69.99 $130.00 46% off List Price
2008 Lang Zinfandel, Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards

Clary Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$79.99 $174.00 54% off List Price
2007 Clary Ranch Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast

Canihan Family Vineyards Sonoma Syrah 3-Pack
$79.99 $161.00 50% off List Price
2009 Exuberance Syrah, Sonoma Valley
2 2010 Exuberance Syrah, Sonoma Valley

Argent Wines Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel 4-Pack
$54.99 $97.00 43% off List Price
2011 Argent Wines Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel, Vlahos Ranch

Argent Wines Petite Sirah 4-Pack
$54.99 $97.00 43% off List Price
2011 Alexander Valley Petite Sirah, Stryker Vineyards

Everyone, take note of the end-date for this sale. It’s a bit shorter than the regular ones. Just make sure to buy your picks sooner than later.

I’ve had the 2008 Lang Zin, it was decent but nowhere near as good as their 2004. I’m not sure if it was that much better of a vintage or if the extra aging had really allowed the wine to come into its own. I’m not a big Zin drinker so I’m passing on this one but my coworker sitting next to me just bought a case.

The Argent are both very small lots. You can tell this stuff was handled with tender loving care.

highly recommend.

I’m not sure most of us know when these sales normally end. Or start.

The zin caught my eye since I am a HUGE fan of Dry Creek zibs. Care to expand a bit on style? Oak treatment? Not too much detail but I am not a fan of vanilla oak OR pruney zins and some winemakers in the area overdo it. Thanks in adavance.

No, problem. Dry Creek Zins can easily get very ripe. 2014 is a classic example with a warm spell late. 2011 was a cool year with rain in the first week of October and the fruit just barely got ripe.There are NO pruney characters, just nice Zin-berry, raspberry fruit. We only use older oak as too much vanilla really detracts from the Zin fruit. We use ⅓ once used, ⅓ twice used, and ⅓ three times used barrels (all François Frères). We are a hill side vineyard at 950’ elevation - very different than the DCV valley floor vineyards. These are very low yields with great concentration. - Signed: Winemaker, Vineyard Manager, and Barrel Washer

The Vlahos Ranch Block 1 is only 2.75 acres and gets < 3 tons an acre of Zin. This is ½ of the DVC valley floor yields. The winemaker manages the vineyard TOTALLY. Some of the grapes were sold off in 2011 so we ended up with a small production. Grape quality is everything in winemaking. Pure Zin fruit with no over ripe characters.

The Stryker PS was a 0.75 acre plot the gave us PS in 2009, 2010, and 2011. We got the entire harvest. The vineyard was ripped up in 2012 and replanted with Cab. Go figure. The 2011 is our last vintage of this PS. Key word for the 2012 is elegant tannins.

Thanks for jumping on board! Just what I wanted to hear…plus boutique winery to boot. A no brainer. In for a set.

I, for one, have no idea.

“Woot Plus” usually runs for a week (Friday - Friday). This one, at two days, is perhaps better named “Woot Plus-Petite”. :wink:

Ok, I added both Argents to my Exuberence offer. Thanks (as always) for the winery participation. Looking forward to trying them!

So…now the standard question: Aging thoughts?

Any more tasting notes on the Argent petite sirah? I can’t decide between the zin or the petite…both sound yummy

Both wines are relatively high pH but conversely have decent tannins in the Zin and powerful tannins in the PS. I am looking at 2 years to peak on the Zin and 3-5 years on the PS. It is always better to drink before peak than after. Storage is critical. Never store wines above 60F if you are going to age them. I store mine at 53-55F and get very nice color and fruit retention.

Thanks for the interest. The 2011 PS is our best PS. It is truly a profound PS. There are layers of PS fruit and subtle French oak in the nose. The forward palate sees wonderful fruit that follows into the mid palate. The tannins pick up in the mid palate and give the wine real structure and lead to a long finish. The tannins are powerful but not bitter. I may be slightly biased but the PS will stand up to ANY in DCV.

Thanks for the winery comments!! They tore up all the PS to replace with cab?! Why oh why!? Because cab is more popular?

More popular, worth more $$, increase the value of the property, and on and on.

I’m glad I looked today and saw the comments regarding the early end to this sale. Previously they ended after a full week.

I really like the CR Pinot. Can you tell me how soon it needs to be consumed? Thanks.