Stillman Brown Petite Sirah (2)

Stillman Brown Petite Sirah 2-Pack
$54.99 $̶1̶1̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 50% off List Price
2012 Stillman Petite Sirah, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

Didn’t call it Deep Purple, eh? Well, I did.

Pseudo-numerological riff at .: Deep Purple Stillman Petite Sirah

I’m talking to myself here? No questions? I’m sure YOU are tired, but I only had twenty people over for brunch today and I barely got a twenty minute nap in. Then again, it’s only ten pm here. I’ll wake the fup well before dawn and see if anyone’s chimed in.

The usual questions? Yes, it’s less expensive than the last one, but the grapes were slightly less so, and the barrels a lot. It’s not inferior, though I’m loathe to join the legions of plonk flacks who insist against reason that the most recent vintage is the best ever, until the next one. It might be, though.
Drinking window: twenty minutes after opening until 2020 at minimum.

Did this wine see any oak? The 2011 probably would have but the 2012 wouldn’t have spent much time in barrel.

The price point is a little high for me personally for a totally unknown 2012 red. Hopefully well get some reviews trickling in.

Some may be looking at the new site.

But you are welcome as always. Always enjoy it when you’re here.

Yippee!!

Actually, four months in strong new oak can be too much time, though the majority is 2011 and sixteen months is a lot. I’d have to use a pseudo formula to tell you this averages over a year in new oak, because oak varies, but that’s about right. I know at least one WW lord has had it already.

Visited Stillman last weekend and got to try (and buy) this. It was nice to get to try the white label and purple label petite sirahs side by side. I really liked both wines, but here is my short memory of notes of both.

White Label PS: smoooooth tannins, light fruit, great texture. Reminded me more of a cooler climate PS and less of something from Paso Robles.

Purple Label PS: More aggressive fruit and acid, less tannin, meatier texture. Talked to Stillman and he said he thought it would pair with food better.

I highly suggest this wine, especially at this price.

Either I’m thoroughly known to ww commenters, or everyone’s has been mauled by killer rabbits.
This is beginning to resemble the Robert Parker Fan Club the day he sold out to the North Korean government.

The first Petite with rabbit, the second with wolverine?
Thanks for commenting - the positive’s a bonus.
By 3 AM I’ll be happy to duel with a troll trying to get my website business . . .

Bunnicula rose from the crypt and wiped out the west coast wooters over the weekend. So close on the killer rabbits guess.

FWIW my friends that had visited a few days before me loved their visit. They also preferred this Purple Label PS over the White Label

I wonder if it’s clear enough that THIS IS NOT THE SAME PETITE SIRAH AS THE LAST OFFERING. I mean, just because the label’s a different color isn’t really enough information, is it? The warehouse has already gotten confused in shipping once. I’m just referring to it as Deep Purple without putting it on the label.
The minimal factual label changes (elimination of vintage, change in alcohol percentage) also mean that I don’t have to submit it to the Feds.

And yet I have almost none of the Beatles left, and to judge by the flow of questions, I’ll have a Lake Geneva of Deep Purple left in 23.4 hours.

What is it with people who only know ‘Smoke On The Water’ anyway?

Im a. Little confused lady says its not as tannic as the white label but your notes say tannins and lotsof them. Also a 2 hr decant? Or would an aerator allow for the pnp?

Monday after a holiday can be… quiet :slight_smile: At least you have the wine and Elvis to keep you company.